2017 programmable Cam for time lapse night photography (autoexec.ash ??)

ppg677

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, it looks like the original Xiaomi Yi has some nice capabilities for doing custom time-lapse photography. I'd love to be able to program something to do long night exposures in a time lapse.

In particular, I'm intrigued with doing a time-lapse (or video) of the Total Solar Eclipse in a few weeks. During the totality, I'd like the time lapse (or video) to look "dark" rather than auto-exposing.

Is there a modern 2017 option that offers the same level of customization/programmability?

FitFort's 4K action cam looks great (and affordable), but doesn't appear to be able to use autoexec.ash scripts.

Is the original Xiaomi Yi still my best bet?

keep in mind that action cams and dash cams have tiny sensors with wide lenses. that may not give you the best view of what's going on with a star that's 8 light minutes away, but of course that depends on what perspective you're trying to capture. I also can't think of any that will lock exposure.

if you're not going to do this with at least a prosumer camera with manual controls, their may be a few apps that you can utilize on your smartphone of choice.

Back