2019 Mazda 3GT not entering Parking Mode

bdithug

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I used to have a Thinkware F750 hard wired into this vehicle. Everything worked great until the F750 decided to hit the crapper. The GPS / Timestamps were giving me incorrect GPS locations and timestamps on videos. This is a known and common problem with the F750. Contacted Thinkware, and upgraded to the F800 Pro. Confirmed with Thinkware that the existing hard wiring kit will work with the F800 Pro. So I just hooked up the F800 Pro, went through the setup, configured everything, but the camera isn't entering parking mode. It just stays in continuous recording mode. I had the hard wiring kit installed by a profesisonal (Radioactive in Burlington) so I doubt it's hard wired incorrectly. Anyone know what I'm overlooking here? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In some models / cameras you have to choose 2 wire or 3 wire parking mode, to get the right kind of parking mode going depending on your hard wire kit.
Maybe the camera are entering always record low bitrate, but then you will have to have that set as the kind of parking mode you want to use.

BUT ! i am not familiar with this brand of cameras, so i am guessing here.

In some models / cameras you have to choose 2 wire or 3 wire parking mode, to get the right kind of parking mode going depending on your hard wire kit.
Maybe the camera are entering always record low bitrate, but then you will have to have that set as the kind of parking mode you want to use.

BUT ! i am not familiar with this brand of cameras, so i am guessing here.
Unfortunately this model dash cam does not have a setting like that. I can configure the voltage in which the dash cam is supposed to go into parking mode (11.6 - 12.4), and I've tried every interval in that range, and it still won't go into parking mode. I've also tried turning parking mode off completely, to see if continuous recording will just stop when I turn my car off, but even that doesn't work.

No that voltage are the low voltage cut off i bet, that's just there to protect your car battery from getting discharged too deep, very important this time of the year.

What's the trigger for parking mode? A switch sensing the ignition off? Asking a DUH question because I only use a couple of Yi cams when driving!

I had the hard wiring kit installed by a profesisonal (Radioactive in Burlington) so I doubt it's hard wired incorrectly.
starting to lose count of how often 'professional installers' have got this wrong, don't just assume it's correct because you paid someone to do it

Unfortunately this model dash cam does not have a setting like that. I can configure the voltage in which the dash cam is supposed to go into parking mode (11.6 - 12.4), and I've tried every interval in that range, and it still won't go into parking mode.
the voltage settings are for what voltage you want the camera to turn off to save the battery

Well it is a new car, and those can be trouble, but since the old F750 camera worked fine until it packed it in, i think it is safe to assume the hard wire kit was installed correct.
So in my perspective it must be a setting in the camera, or the hard wire kit are not really compatible after all.
And i seem to recall other thinkware users having been able to use their old HW kit for their new camera from the same brand,,,,,, and really it make sense to make the new cameras so they work with the old HW kit, or you just have to make and sell 2 similar products,,,,, and that's just silly.

You might have to enable parking mode within the settings of the dashcam.

You might have to enable parking mode within the settings of the dashcam.
It's definitely enabled. I've tried disabling and re-enabling it too and that hasn't worked.

Well it is a new car, and those can be trouble, but since the old F750 camera worked fine until it packed it in, i think it is safe to assume the hard wire kit was installed correct.
So in my perspective it must be a setting in the camera, or the hard wire kit are not really compatible after all.
And i seem to recall other thinkware users having been able to use their old HW kit for their new camera from the same brand,,,,,, and really it make sense to make the new cameras so they work with the old HW kit, or you just have to make and sell 2 similar products,,,,, and that's just silly.
I'm starting to wonder if the F750 might have blown a fuse or sensor on my car. Because when I did notice the F750 having the incorrect date / time stamp issue, that's also when I noticed even the F750 wasn't entering parking mode. At the time, I assumed it was due to the camera and both issues were related, but now since I'm encountering this issue with the F800 Pro, it might be related to a fuse, or even the backup battery piece that Radioactive installed along side the dash cam.

well since it remain in always recording, then i don't think its a blown fuse.
1: if the ACC wire / fuse was blown i assume the camera would not come on ?
2: if the always on wire / fuse was blown i assume the camera would turn off with key off, or maybe not even come on at all.

I am not quite sure if i understand these 3 wire HW kits properly.
I assume the ACC wire are just sort of a relay / switch and no matter if it is regular driving mode, or parking mode the camera always get its power from the always on wire

well since it remain in always recording, then i don't think its a blown fuse.
1: if the ACC wire / fuse was blown i assume the camera would not come on ?
2: if the always on wire / fuse was blown i assume the camera would turn off with key off, or maybe not even come on at all.

I am not quite sure if i understand these 3 wire HW kits properly.
I assume the ACC wire are just sort of a relay / switch and no matter if it is regular driving mode, or parking mode the camera always get its power from the always on wire
I think you're right about it not being a blown fuse. I have an appointment with Radioactive next week to troubleshoot this. Will keep this thread updated with my findings. Thanks for the input!

Update 12-27-2019:

Brought my car into Radioactive, and had them remove the external voltage control module, and just hard wire directly to the fuse box, and it seems to have fixed the issue. I explained to them that the dash cam already has the voltage control module built in and that the external one is not needed. Car now goes into parking mode about 15 seconds after ignition is turned off, and then goes into continuous recording as soon as I start my car. Thanks to everyone who helped with their input. Much appreciated!

@bdithug - how did the shop hardwire to your 2019 Mazda 3? Do you know which fuse they connected to for the continuous and parking mode wires? Did they hard-wire into the fuse box in the footwell of the cabin, or in the engine bay?

I have a US-spec 2019 Mazda 3 hatch and attached the owner's manual for fuse number reference. I've had trouble finding a switched fuse on the cabin fuse panel in the footwell that turns off when or shortly after the car ignition is turned off, so it would not automatically switch to parking mode and instead would continuously record and then kill my battery even with low voltage enabled.

Also, did you ever try using a simple outlet? It seems they're powered even when the car is off, so it's not as if I can simply opt to use the camera only while ignition is on with that 12v AC plug in the center console.

TIA!

Attachments

• 2019 Mazda3 Hatchback Owners Manaul_Fuse Boxes.pdf
    278.4 KB · Views: 1
@bdithug - how did the shop hardwire to your 2019 Mazda 3? Do you know which fuse they connected to for the continuous and parking mode wires? Did they hard-wire into the fuse box in the footwell of the cabin, or in the engine bay?

I have a US-spec 2019 Mazda 3 hatch and attached the owner's manual for fuse number reference. I've had trouble finding a switched fuse on the cabin fuse panel in the footwell that turns off when or shortly after the car ignition is turned off, so it would not automatically switch to parking mode and instead would continuously record and then kill my battery even with low voltage enabled.

Also, did you ever try using a simple outlet? It seems they're powered even when the car is off, so it's not as if I can simply opt to use the camera only while ignition is on with that 12v AC plug in the center console.

TIA!
I don't know which fuse they connected to, however they did hard wire into the fuse box in the footwell of the cabin, not the engine bay. It was half a year ago so I can't remember, sorry. My 12V cigarette lighter outlet also runs even when the car is off, so that's definitely not an option. I could be wrong, but I think they might have used the fuse for the windshield wipers as that fuse is deactivated when the car is off. Hopefully this helps, good luck!

Back