2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pay attention. This is a PILOT project. If successful it will be rolled out internationally. As the CEO explains, it is "tailored to this site" and not meant to produce huge amounts of power at this point. It is a proof of concept project that may be expanded. As the CEO further explains, in production it will use turbines that are at least twice the size and be deployed in other river environments on a vaster scale like in the animated demo video I posted.
I'm not sure everyone will like the CEO's explanation of the fish being chopped up by the blades in the video you posted! They can swim around, and if they don't then Darwin will take care of the problem!

I'm not sure everyone will like the CEO's explanation of the fish being chopped up by the blades in the video you posted! They can swim around, and if they don't then Darwin will take care of the problem!

They haven't detected any particular issue with dead fish during the entire test period to date!!

As per your usual, you're changing the subject again I see.

I recon some fish might get shopped, like birds on wind turbines, but i dont hear about bird corpses strewn around wind turbines, only horrible i hear in that regard is when endangered birds have encountered one.
But for instance the now rare stork in Denmark, it look like many of their young ones fly off the next and right into the nearest manure storage and then drown there, there are now forces in play making sure those are covered in the future around the very few stork nests in Denmark.

I am also sure that river in NY, its fish population now VS pre industrial times are severely different, so there might actually not be much of a problem.

Yep have to start somewhere.
Here it was pretty much hippies back in the day.

Your hippies seem to have started bigger than ours, but ours were earlier. Did you have earlier ones too?

"Tvindkraft started producing electricity on the 26th of March 1978."

"Founded in 1973 on a disused slate quarry in Mid Wales,":
14522432650_cc24b5ff7e_o1.jpg

"1975: CAT opens a visitor centre. 5kW Elektro windmill arrives. The country’s first completely solar-heated building is built, complete with an inter-seasonal heat store.

Trump's border wall + climate change denial + drought + double the usual monsoon rains + ignoring long established environmental laws = failure.

borderwall.jpg

Yes people often tend to just focus on one thing, in cars usually MPG / MPC, pretty much always disregarding the production footprint and the eventual recycling / waste footprint.

Down to the nitti gritty only a crop of some sort can truly be green, or at least as close to that as you can get, not farmed things like weeds are probably the greenest things on mother earth, and no one want those in their field or garden.

Using materials like zero carbon steel, as in the above post for Volvo cars must make electric cars much greener, but of course it would also make fossil fueled cars much greener, so when measuring a cars greenness it is only the powertrain and fuel that really need to be considered, and if the electricity comes from zero carbon wind turbines, and the hydrocarbon fuel comes from green hydrogen made by zero carbon wind turbines, then there is no need to consider the fuel either, just the greenness of the powertrain and storage container. I suspect a zero carbon steel hydrocarbon fuel tank is much greener than any battery... not sure if buying an empty steel tank plus many years of green hydrocarbon fuel is going to be cheaper or more expensive than batteries and electricity, and maybe having to replace the batteries at some point in the vehicle's life?

Well if i got a EV i would very much assume i could get a replacement or upgrade battery down the line, cuz from what i understand a EV battery far from last as long as the car potentially would / could.
I would hate to buy a EV and then in 5 years time or so have to make do with just 70% or so of the battery capacity on day #1

Tesla claims that the battery pack should outlast the car itself, and they estimate that the life of most cars tends to be "around "200,000 miles. Of course, cars can last much longer than that. Tesla’s warranty includes a clause for retaining 70% battery capacity over the warranty period (typically between 100,000-150,000 miles), depending on the model. But, a taxi service in California that maintains a fleet of Teslas has reported that a Model X in their fleet has only lost around 10% of capacity over 300,000 miles. 90% capacity is well within Tesla’s battery warranty terms for degradation. Elon Musk has stated that lab tests gave 80% battery retention at 500,000 miles, or about 4% degradation per 100,000 miles. If the average driver only travels about 13,500 miles per year, it would take almost 7.5 years to make up that mileage with less than 5% battery degradation, or 15 years with less than 10% battery degradation.

I would assume a place like CALI would offer about the ideal circumstances for battery durability, at least i would not be surprised if a Canadian saw other figures.
Not hating or anything, i might just put too much into this and make a issue out of nothing. hell my 2012 car i only have 130,000 KM on it thats only 81K miles.

Teslas have become enormously popular here in Vermont despite the extreme cold weather and rough winters we get. Just a few weeks ago, they finished doubling the size of the local Tesla charging station from 8 bays to 16. They appear to be extremely good in the snow and wet conditions due to the four independently controlled motors at each wheel and a guy I know who has had a Tesla Model S for years told me he has no problem maintaining a good charge in the coldest temperatures. The car keeps the batteries warm during the winter months. I can't remember how old his Model S is but it was an early one and he was the first person I know who purchased a Tesla. Now you see them everywhere.

I would assume a place like CALI would offer about the ideal circumstances for battery durability, at least i would not be surprised if a Canadian saw other figures.
Not hating or anything, i might just put too much into this and make a issue out of nothing. hell my 2012 car i only have 130,000 KM on it thats only 81K miles.
Teslas do rather better than most because they have decent battery capacity so rarely get very low and I think the smart charging doesn't charge them very high either, so ideal conditions. Cheaper EVs with smaller battery packs that get near empty and then fully recharged daily don't do so well, but I think the newer ones will generally still do 15 years with 70% capacity left, so as long as you overspec the battery by 30% when you buy it, there will be no problem.

The ones that got a bad reputation were using NiCad or NiMH, non-lithium.

Those are normally called golf cars,,,,,, or forklifts

Tesla also designs and makes their own batteries in a partnership with Panasonic. They now produce their own proprietary 4680s, which have been described as, "the equivalent of bringing a potato gun to a french fry fight!". Tesla has agreements with other battery suppliers as well.

Other car companies appear to use off the shelf 18650s.

GM just had to recall ALL Chevy Bolts due to the risk of fires and now they are in a battle with LG who supplied the battery cells.

What happens when going green gets out of control, and 1 in 12 households install their own wind turbine!

Well maybe the people up there and Samso in Denmark can have a race.

Seem like, you just have to go and look.
So Danish scientists wanted to visit the worlds most northern island called Oodaaq island, but due to a mess up with a GPS, they ended up on a new island 800 M to the north of the island they wanted to visit.
So Denmark grow again, this time not just in territorial waters holdings but a actual island,,,,,, though not a big one of course, matching the country quite well it do. ( size 60 X 30 M )

dcd1e4cf-c4c6-4095-9383-0dd87e85c2c9.jpg

Naturally we have staked out claim, with the Greenland flag of course.

8e3df0d8-c0fb-4ddb-a8f9-ddbce1d2d768.jpg

BTW as per Danish tradition, every time visiting a new place, you have to take a swim there, and all the scientists did aside for one that "sadly" had to do polar bear watch.
So staked claim - and taken a brisk swim,,,,,, Belong to Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back