2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like those top fuel drag boats,,,,, it is rare i say you can not get me into some kind of motor vehicle, drag boats are one of those.

LOUD !!! V8 warning.

Hull drag? What's hull drag :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Tech vid played. Sometimes YouTube sucks... :(

Phil
Hull aero drag is important, the shape of the hull is designed to produce aero lift using ground effect flight and to avoid the crew adding much aero drag.

Both boats finished today's race with the flight time meters at 99%, haven't had many 100%s yet, but they are only falling off the foils when wind speed drops below about 8 knots, in 9 knot winds they are flying at around 30 knots.

I like those top fuel drag boats,,,,,
I hope that was bio-methanol, suitable for this thread ;)
That game looks far too dangerous for anywhere but USA!

With rising sea levels and more chaotic weather becoming the norm, i am wondering why space X have build a site in the waters edge in Texas ( Boca chicka )
It is not chump change getting poured into that site.

I guess because they don't want to fly their rockets over people, so they built it on the coast, and they do want to land on ships, so they wanted calm water, and the western side of the Gulf of Mexico presumably has much gentler waves than out in the Atlantic. They always fly eastward so it has to be an east coast.

Seem like they are building launch ships.

Still seem like a lot of effort in a place that could be "wiped" out with the next hurricane.
Then again i look from above and then everything look flat, there might actually be some height difference like there is many places along the West coast of Jutland, though still in big storms we loose good chunks of the coast every time.
Many people have lost their summer house over there and more to come.
7L1jUqkuLnWVUOSGpME6mdLFhkk.jpg

Actually it is a major problem in many places of Denmark, a big storm at high tide even with the dikes we have build since the last catastrophe, well it could happen again, and the dikes are mainly along the west of Jutland.
Even just the forecast bigger rainfall events are a huge problem in some places.

oversvoemmelse-143-3.jpg

Actually it is a major problem in many places of Denmark, a big storm at high tide even with the dikes we have build since the last catastrophe, well it could happen again, and the dikes are mainly along the west of Jutland.
Is Denmark supporting the mega dam?

I dont think this are a option, but of course we Danes have places to run, there are a little landmass here that are +60 M, but moving to Greenland will probably be the better solution.
As mineral and other deposits up there get laid bare by the melting ice, they will need more workers up there to dig into it all, after all there are very few native Greenland.

Also i think the tree huggers will be opposed to that big dam, and how about locks so ships can get in and out of it ?
The Baltic sea are not exactly salty as it is i think, cant be much circulation back there.
It is a rather large Terra forming experiment to build a wall like that, that i assume will have to be 80 M above current sea level, not even sure where we should get all the materials from, the amount of concrete needed will be staggering.
And i dont know about the other countries, but here sand for concrete are running in short supply, even if you took all as Denmark as usable sand down to 10 M below sea level, that will only make up for a tiny bit of that wall.

not even sure where we should get all the materials from, the amount of concrete needed will be staggering.
Can't use concrete for something that size, unless it is zero CO2 concrete :unsure: That is not possible because cement is limestone with the CO2 removed!

In 2016, world cement production generated around 2.2 billion tonnes of CO2 - equivalent to 8% of the global total.

Seems impossible to me, but it appears the Netherlands have worked it out as being good value for money!

Maybe make it out of carbon?

Some good news:

WindandSolarEmber.png

“To put it mildly, gas is over,” Dr Werner Hoyer said at a press conference on the EIB’s annual results.

Last edited:
Hate to ruin anyone's day but the modern world is built with concrete, which is roughly 15% cement, and there's no real substitute for it. Without concrete foundations there can be no wind turbines, no hydroelectric dams, no factories to build EV's and no long-span bridges to run them on.

Refined metals and concrete is what allows our modern world to exist so they're not going anywhere for as far into the future as anyone can see regardless of what they do to our atmosphere. Long ago when concrete was my business sphere, most cement in the Eastern US came from Canada and the US around Niagara Falls where the hydro-electric power was sourced for the huge electric kilns which are needed for the making of the cement we need. That same sustainable power also ran the steel mills and aluminum plants in the area too.

Not sure where all the cement here comes from today as most concrete companies here are now owned and operated by CEMEX from Mexico :(

Phil

Without concrete foundations there can be no wind turbines,
No, we don't use concrete, I think they mainly use suction buckets, sucked into the sea bed, far less CO2 emissions, and the steel can be fully recycled. Obviously you use wind power for smelting the steel so no need for carbon emissions.

9570483d8a86c97eb566906eb262916c

Concrete is a big problem for most construction though, and a big problem to solve.

Yeah suction anchors / piles are another + of moving off shore, if you have the seabed that allow for those to be used.

I am a bit freaked about them wanting to have huge floating turbines just tied to a few suction anchors / piles, a wind turbine are after all a pretty top heavy contraption, and some of the plans seem to have slack anchor chains too.

These contraption can be pretty big too, i think 100 tonnes are pretty standard.

The statoil troll A rig in the north sea are made as one huge concrete suction pile, i think discovery channel made a program about it and towing it out to sea which in itself was quite a challenge.

Remember like iceberg only a little is above water.
File.ashx

Last edited:
X 2,,,, okay maybe 3 and you have the total snow mayhem of the Danish winter 2020, and pretty much any winter in the past 10 years. :rolleyes:

These contraption can be pretty big too, i think 100 tonnes are pretty standard.
The GE Halide X is 825 tonnes just for the bit on top of the tower!

Remember like iceberg only a little is above water.
It is actually a little taller above than below, though the mass must be the other way around:

Im not even slightly concerned about climate change.
The planet has been here a few billion years and we have accurate records of about 150 of them.

When i was a kid in the 70's the world was going to be a desert, or was it snowball?, by 2000 and we were all gonna die if we didnt do something.
When i was a kid in the 80's the world was going to be a snowball, or was it a desert?, by 2000 and we were all going to die if we didnt do something.
In the 90s it was something else or it was just flipped again.
Somewhere in there, everywhere below 500ft sea level was going to be underwater in the UK and we were all going to die. i remember that because where i lived at the time was 705ft above sea level, i looked it up.

Eventually they got smart enough to call it 'climate change' which is utterly vague and undefinable because they got tired of being called out for being wrong and laughed at.

My advice, dont worry about it. You will be long dead before anyone knows the truth.

Edit: 2000 was 20 yrs ago btw

I'm not sure what the climate was doing before humans appeared really matters except as something we can reference to in saying that the climate is ever-changing. But there is now clear evidence that we can and are affecting it in ways the Earth never dealt with before, and some of those things we're doing are not necessary or could be done better.

I totally agree that I'll never see the changes amount to much at my age, but the humans living 100 years from now might. I'd like to leave them a legacy of being wise about what we do to our planet in hopes that they will follow, and that's not just about climate change but in all ways.

Phil

Someone just released a study here in regard to CO2, seem like a tenderloin put out as much CO2 making as a drive in a average car from Denmark to Paris.
I wouldnt beleive that study one bit.
"this time the greenhouse gas emissions that follow when forest and other natural areas are converted to agriculture have also been taken into account"

"If, on the other hand, you need the proteins from animals, you must first grow feed for the animal, the feed must be transported, the barn must be heated and then, for example, manure and burps from the cows also emit greenhouse gases ."

Someone who has no idea about agriculture at all wrote that. 3 out of 4 statements are wrong or misleading.

The end goal is not to have any animals at all and have all "meat" grown in labs from stem cells in whatever shape and flavor you want.

“If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, paleoclimate evidence and ongoing climate change suggest that CO2 will need to be reduced from [current levels] to at most 350 ppm.” -- Dr. James Hansen https://mn350.org/understanding350/

We are currently above 414 ppm C02.

co2.jpg

NASA C02 level chart.
nasa-C02.jpeg

Global Warming 1880 - 2020. courtesy of NASA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back