2021 Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, its been 2 days now and i am amazed the GFX cards haven't sold out, even if bitcoin mining are not a option for Danes due to the high KWH price here.
Just insane they can sell so much over MSRP

supply and demand
Some people doing really well making money from bitcoin, but where does all the money to pay for the cards and electricity actually come from?

Some people doing really well making money from bitcoin, but where does all the money to pay for the cards and electricity actually come from?
I've got a mate that mines and he makes an average of USD $70 a day per computer (after his costs), he is sitting on 16 coins as well that were purchased for 15k in 2017 which is a bigger profit than he is ever going to make from mining

How could a government do anything about it?

Maybe the United Nations can do something?

Maybe ban the sale of graphics cards :unsure:

Or introduce a personal limit on the amount of electricity any one person can consume :oops:

There don't seem to be any easy answers, especially when profit and greed are the major motivators.

I've been thinking of this too!

Elon Musk has cited climate change as his primary motivation for developing electric cars. He has even give away (open sourced) the patents for Tesla's technology! And he has donated $100 million as a prize for the best carbon capture technology. And yet now he has plunged himself into the purchase of $1.5 billion in bitcoin and is accepting bitcoin for the purchase of Tesla cars. This is the definition of insanity!!

Elon Musk Gives Up Tesla Patents to 'Open Source Movement'

Elon Musk:"We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform."

Last edited:
O i dident even think of that approach, i was governed by my general dislike like i have for phones and wifi.
But yeah why the hell go all green with electric cars, and then support something like bitcoin, which at best only offer a alternative to something we already have.
I could get it if his bitcoin was made by green energy in Iceland or wind from some place that dont screw over their people.
BUT ! they are probably from china made by burning coal, so in a sense Elon just put a V8 in his cars too.

But yeah why the hell go all green with electric cars, and then support something like bitcoin, which at best only offer a alternative to something we already have.

It is becoming more and more clear, if it wasn't already, that accumulating billions of dollars in wealth to the point of being one of the richest people in the world causes serious brain damage. :greedy:

The average American use about 82 gallons of fresh water every day, in Denmark that number is 30 gallons.
A single Dane on average use 1600 KWH of electricity a year, which cost him 3400 DKkr / 547 USD, the number for the average family of 2 adults and 2 kids are 4400 KWH for a cost of 9400 Dkkr / 1500 USD
In the US the average power use for one person is about the same as the Average Danish family, 4500 KWH,,,, the Danes of North America the Canadians actually use even more it seem.

percapita.gif

Mind you other places i look come up with significant other numbers of power use for both Danes and Americans.

I think the lesson is, we can all do better as some Aussie comedian say

It is becoming more and more clear, if it wasn't already, that accumulating billions of dollars in wealth to the point of being one of the richest people in the world causes serious brain damage. :greedy:
There may be more to it than that- Bill Gates and Warren Buffet for instance. But having seemingly endless cash reserves does allow one to do dam# near whatever they wish to do so if they ever had wild ideas those will probably emerge.

A friend who runs a website spent a few years mining Bitcoin using old servers and a couple new ones. This was about 5 years ago. When he checked the figures, he determined that he was indeed making a profit but only a small one when you considered the amortization of the servers and their lifespan. It wasn't worth his time so he pulled out. On a large enough scale, there's lots of money to be made mining Bitcoin but it takes lots of money to get to that level to start with. It's a rich man's game and most of them care only about their profits, not climate change :cry:

Phil

A friend who runs a website spent a few years mining Bitcoin using old servers and a couple new ones. This was about 5 years ago. When he checked the figures, he determined that he was indeed making a profit but only a small one when you considered the amortization of the servers and their lifespan. It wasn't worth his time so he pulled out. On a large enough scale, there's lots of money to be made mining Bitcoin but it takes lots of money to get to that level to start with. It's a rich man's game and most of them care only about their profits, not climate change :cry:

Phil
when he was mining coins would have been at around $400, but they were attained much faster, even with much more capable hardware it takes longer to generate a coin now as that's the way it works, but the coins are worth much more, right now mining is profitable again, the goal posts are ever shifting though

If i had "free" solar or wind power, i would rather use the surplus to mine bitcoin than selling it back to the grid, no doubt about that.
But that is still a substantial setup cost, and i was not the lucky Dane that won +300 Mill Dkkr in the lottery last Friday :cry:

The average American use about 82 gallons of fresh water every day, in Denmark that number is 30 gallons.
A single Dane on average use 1600 KWH of electricity a year, which cost him 3400 DKkr / 547 USD, the number for the average family of 2 adults and 2 kids are 4400 KWH for a cost of 9400 Dkkr / 1500 USD
In the US the average power use for one person is about the same as the Average Danish family, 4500 KWH,,,, the Danes of North America the Canadians actually use even more it seem.

percapita.gif

Mind you other places i look come up with significant other numbers of power use for both Danes and Americans.

I think the lesson is, we can all do better as some Aussie comedian say
The electricity use comparison is not a reasonable one. In France it is normal to heat your home using electricity, which is CO2 free since their electricity comes mainly from nuclear with a bit of wind, in UK we normally use gas to heat homes but still use some electricity to power circulation pumps, but our electricity is low CO2 since we no longer use coal and have a lot of wind, in Denmark it is normal for the heat to arrive in pipes, not requiring any electricity, but I think you are using a lot of coal to heat the water making it high CO2 heat, and in Nigeria I don't think they use much power for heating so it produces very little CO2 from heating...

After a long hard winter and a slow cold start, Spring finally arrived here in New England. The weather has been warm and delightful, everything is turning green, fruit trees are budding, the daffodils are blooming, wildlife is emerging from hibernation and the wild turkeys are out in my fields engaged in their yearly mating rituals. And now it's snowing!

It is not entirely unheard of to have a bit of snow in April so I didn't pay too much attention when the weather report cautioned that we might get a couple of inches. When I awoke this morning we were in the midst of a fierce heavy snowstorm that has not let up all day. And now we have about 14 inches of wet heavy snow on the ground, trees are bending under the weight and it is predicted to continue snowing until nightfall!

Climate change? I don't know. Weather is not climate they say. But we do seem to get a lot of oddball weather these days like heatwaves in February and snowstorms in mid April.

snowing2.jpg

snowing3.jpg

The above images were from earlier in the day. This one below was from a couple of hours ago.

snowing.jpg

The opposite of Vantablack.

Scientists have developed a light-reflecting "ultra-white" paint, which they say could negate the need for air conditioning and even reduce carbon emissions, if used on a mass scale. The paint, developed by engineers at Purdue University in Indiana as part of a six-year project, is capable of reflecting up to 98.1% of sunlight and therefore has the ability to cool buildings, according to a press release.

white.jpg

This month of April, though not over yet, but whats seen so far and what is in the forecast, it will probably be the coldest April for Danes in 35 years.

So much for global warming.

Normal spring temperatures are like 600 Km from Denmark, and are not scheduled to come near us anytime soon :cry:

This month of April, though not over yet, but whats seen so far and what is in the forecast, it will probably be the coldest April for Danes in 35 years.

So much for global warming.

Normal spring temperatures are like 600 Km from Denmark, and are not scheduled to come near us anytime soon :cry:

It was a pretty cold April here too and tonight it will go down to 0ºC. And we got 14 inches of snow ten days ago as I posted about above! Don't know if any of this is a record of some kind.

Anyway, "global warming" is a misnomer. It's really "climate change"!

Some places will get colder and some will get hotter. Some places will get wetter and some will become dryer. Many locations may experience ALL of these conditions.

In deed, just the warming thing that most often get pulled out of the hat, so i have a little fun with that.

The guy that came up with the term global warming should have to stay after class and write "climate change" 100 times on the blackboard! :geek:

Speaking of climate change we don't seem to hear much about Global Dimming these days. There was a period when it got a lot of attention but that seems to have faded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back