24-48h recording

carl2990

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an orskey dash cam which I've been very pleased with until someone went around our neighborhood trying car doors at 2am! Looked at footage the next day and realized the 32gb maximum card only stores 4-5 hours at 720p...so

Looking to buy an A129 (or any other good camera that supports 128+GB cards).

And this then got me into the minefield of batteries that can last 24-48 hours. Currently have it hard wired to my BMW 4 series with low voltage cut off 12.2v and this only lasts 6-8 hours - and BMW batteries are £300+ so want to move away from using the car battery when the car is off.

So, power banks it is. Don't want to risk using a Lithium Polymer (high temperature charging problems). Which power banks are recommended for high temp discharge in the vehicle?

What's the best way to charge these? I'd guess buy two and charge one in the house - assume it would only fully charge in a car if you were on long journeys.

My A119S V2 would run 30-36 hours on a 25k RAVPower solar (solar = useless) battery pack. Probably a little longer even since I never ran it dead. I only used this setup b/c the rental Ram I had cut power to the cig socket. This was also in somewhat cooler October - January so no 130F+ degree cab temps while parked. I don't use a battery pack unless I'm forced to though as I have no problem leaving my cam plugged in and running for over 30 hours. So can't really offer much advice on that.

As far as the card size current official supported size is 256GB for the A119S V2, hoping that increases again, and I'd have to check but at stock settings, 1920x1080@30FPS, I have 37 hours 9 minutes currently on the card.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I have a BlackVue 750S-2ch with a 128GB card. Due to parking mode, I can easily get a few days of parking footage as it only saves the recordings with motion or impact. I park in an alley so that greatly reduces the storage used as compared to a busy street.

As for batteries, I do not recommend LiPo for any automotive purposes due to it's stability compared to other lithium technologies. Since I'd only use LiFePO4 batteries due to it's safety, that's what I'd recommend to others. My requirements for a backup battery is safety, capacity and quick charging in that order. I went with a BlackVue B124 uses LiFePO4 batteries and takes a 9 amp or approximately 130 Watts of charge. I would only get around 24 hours which wasn't enough so I made a backup which increased it to over 60 hours of parking mode recording. It charges to full but can take around 2 hours to fully charge if completely emptied. The B124 costed $260 USD and the DIY extension costed under $50 USD to expand it's capacity to nearly 300%.

Back