256gb microsd

Lefo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
has anyone tried the 256gb microsd?

I think the 128gb might not be enough. Any comments ?

Thx

I don’t see Blackvue selling a 256 GB microSD. 128 GB is the max.

128 GB provides 11 hours of recording for front/rear 750 cams. Seems plenty to me.

Thx

I just started using a new Samsung 128GB class 10 U3 UHS-I formatted with Macrorit for Fat32 and have had no problems. Whether it will be enough depends on how you configure your cams for use. For me, 16GB was enough but I wanted more storage capacity to reduce the wear and tear from continual Writes made to the card over time. Whatever you use just make sure:

1) Card max operating temperature exceeds that of the camera you use
2) Card is capable of read sppeds at 100mbps and write speeds at 90mbps leaving room for what the camera cannot do
3) Card is minimally rated at U3, Class 10 and UHS-I
4) Make sure the formatting is clean/good above Windows 32GB limitation (I use Macrorit for this)

I just started using a new Samsung 128GB class 10 U3 UHS-I formatted with Macrorit for Fat32 and have had no problems.
I'm going to have to try Macrorit, but I used the EVO+ 128Gig and it also worked fine for a while, and then started randomly corrupting recordings. I'd hop in the Jeep, and when it kicked out of Parking Mode it'd say "Check SD Card" about half a dozen times, then carry on recording. When I checked, the files recorded at that moment were corrupted.
But my card lasted over a month with zero issues, so I'll be curious to see if you start getting similar errors. At the moment I'm back to the BlackVue 64Gig, which remains error-free for now. :)

Brad.

I'm going to have to try Macrorit, but I used the EVO+ 128Gig and it also worked fine for a while, and then started randomly corrupting recordings. I'd hop in the Jeep, and when it kicked out of Parking Mode it'd say "Check SD Card" about half a dozen times, then carry on recording. When I checked, the files recorded at that moment were corrupted.
But my card lasted over a month with zero issues, so I'll be curious to see if you start getting similar errors. At the moment I'm back to the BlackVue 64Gig, which remains error-free for now. :)

Brad.

What exactly did you use to format the 128GB card the very first time you did it?

What exactly did you use to format the 128GB card the very first time you did it?
Memory's a bit rusty, but I believe it was the Viewer app the very first time, but I also know a couple of times by the camera itself when it started glitching.

Memory's a bit rusty, but I believe it was the Viewer app the very first time, but I also know a couple of times by the camera itself when it started glitching.

I would not be afraid to try formatting using Macrorit - then see how it works. I've found that when formatting outside of Blackvue territory (so to speak), I don't have any read/write issues. Besides, at 256GB, you are going to have to deal with the Windows 32GB disk size limitation one way or another. Might as well handle all of that in Macrorit, or something on par with it.

I picked up a 2017 128gb Samsung Evo Plus U3 from Best Buy today for $37, will be using this info to format it and get it ready for my new 750s 2ch

It's never enough. :-(
In this case, when they say it supports up to 128GB, they seem to mean it, but not for the reasons you might expect.

You might think that since 128GB cards are supported, and they have to conform to the SDXC standard, that any card up to 4TB that SDXC specifies should be OK. In theory, yes. In practice, however, there is the issue of how much current the extra NAND sucks up. I tried with a 200GB card, and it worked for a few hours after freshly formatting the card (using a reader and OS that support sector discarding), but WiFi range suffered because the card was sucking up too many amps. After a while as the card's current draw increased further as it started to fill up, WiFi range reduced to inches (not an exaggeration), and eventually the cameras started crashing.

This was back when the 200GB cards first appeared. The more modern 256GB+ cards may be based on smaller NAND processes which draw fewer amps, and it might be OK, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have just ordered a 256GB Samsung EVO Select card, and will test it thoroughly once it arrives next week.

Today I picked up my SanDisk 64 GB High Endurance card and put it into the camera. I was told that the card did not work. I then formated the card in the camera and after some time I got the message, Blackvue for your safe driving. I did not have to load the firmware on to the card.

The SanDisk 64GB card will work fine ... for a while. You'll eventually start getting "Check SDCard" error messages out of the camera, and some recordings will be corrupt. Typically when that happens, you can reformat to make the message go away again for a while.
You don't need to load the firmware onto the card once the camera has it internally. Only when upgrading. The camera will write back the config.ini file and the version.bin file during each reformat. The presence of those files makes subsequent startups faster.

Have you tried this same card before?

The High Endurance version as I wrote in the original post.

There are loads of threads on this forum about what you need to maximize reliability/longevity for SDcards used in dashcams, some a bit more technical than others. But the bottom line is, in a dashcam that does a lot of recording (ie. parking mode): an MLC-compliant card is a must. The Blackvue-branded cards are MLC, and there are a small number of manufacturers making MLC. So far, the only 128GB MLC card I've been able to find (that doesn't get into horrendous pricing) is the Blackvue-branded.

Sandisk doesn't make an MLC-compliant card. If their High Endurance card was MLC, they'd most definitely mention that in the specs, because MLC is expensive. :(

I personally haven't used the High Endurance. Partially because I already have a 64GB Blackvue, and my next upgrade will be to 128GB (which reduces the playing field). My expectation is that it'll last longer than, say, the EVO+ (which I have tried, and I started getting errors in about 6 weeks), but not as long as a true MLC. But the flip side of that argument is that if it lasts (throwing out random numbers) 80% the life of an MLC at 50% of the price, then you're ahead of the game.

I, for one, will be very interested in hearing your real-life experience with the High Endurance. If you make it through six months of typical recording (which, with parking mode, means near-continuous), I'd call that "close enough" for any argument. If, on the other hand, it starts throwing errors within two or three months, that'll be very interested to know too.

Brad.

Sandisk doesn't make an MLC-compliant card. If their High Endurance card was MLC, they'd most definitely mention that in the specs, because MLC is expensive.

This is what got me to get the SanDisk. I could not find the Trancend High Endurance.

I have just ordered a 256GB Samsung EVO Select card, and will test it thoroughly once it arrives next week.
What ever happened with your BlackVue DR750S when you used the 256GB card with it? What did you find out?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V DR750S (1CH or 2CH) 4
Back