25p Superview? Why Do Camera Companies Do This?

Would a normal 24p would be more useful than 25p Superview?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nathyn Masters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ4000, SJ5000x Elite
24p is a common standard in video now days. It emulates the look of film and it's something indy filmmakers look for in cameras. But what I've noticed is the majors like GoPro and SJCam are including 24p, while others, particularly when they bring their native 4K action cameras to market, include 25p and usually at superview? Why? And if they're going to include 25p, why at superview? It seems like it just stretches the footage. Am I wrong about this? I would like to know how many think a normal 24p would be more useful than 25p Superview?

-Nate

It's a tech support thing. You make the cameras work for the video standards where you market. In general or the US/Japan that would be NTSC 30fps (29.97) and for Europe/China PAL at 25 fps. That way it will work with the consumer's TV. At 24 fps there might be problems (though a lot of TVs and players can adapt to all kinds of frame rates) and they want to avoid being overloaded with tech support calls and emails. Even if they added 24fps as an additional option (which I think they should) they still might get swamped by calls from people who have accidentally turned 24 fps on.:(

Back