2ch Lukas LK-9700 Duo, GPS, OBD II, 1080p+720p/30fps. 256Gb SD+256Gb MicroSD = 512Gb

Screen looks a bit to big.

Screen looks a bit to big.

For Korean "standards" this is small screen.
They have strange trend now there: the bigger screen - the cooler dashcam.
I have seen on Korean websites 5 and 5.5" screen dashcams. Soon maybe 6 - 7" ? :)

It still seems like its for eastern markets not for the western world yet .....Ipol

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Catering to the western market is easy, 99% are not doing it though

Those manufacturers who belongs to that 1% ( who understands mentality of western market ), - they have now good chance to get a starting position / early start and "run away" further from other Korean / Taiwanese / Chinese manufacturers who concentrate their efforts mainly on their own local markets, where their ideology of how dashcam system should look like, in most cases is opposite to western market.
You are the first manufacturer who understood concept of how to produce the nearly perfect product by communicating directly to the end customer.
Glad that @Sungmoon Jang also joined forum to understand our needs.
If Lukas, Vico and other manufacturers would be as active as you with discussions on dashcamtalk or other similar forums, then they would take different approach of designing their products.
I understand that many manufacturers want to hit 2 birds with one shot by producing so called "universal" product for both markets, but in long term this approach will not work.
Western buyer will go for the product which is tailored as close as possible to their needs.

To be fair the dominant markets are Russia, Korea and Taiwan so the products are aimed at those markets and the requirement is much different to what is preferred in western markets, most (99%) are happy just to chase those markets and if they pickup business outside of that then consider it a bonus, for me I'd never try and compete in those markets as they are spoilt for choice already with more than enough products to choose from, the requirement they like is not what I personally believe makes a good product so they're products that I wouldn't particularly want to be involved in anyway, it's not about the money

I've found a few manufacturers that I felt had potential to do good product for our market and offered to work with them to develop product but none have been interested in doing that, they seem to be quite happy just chasing the existing markets and aren't worried about the emerging markets, sure the big three (Russia, Korea, Taiwan) represent big numbers but they're competing with many more suppliers, the growth potential is much higher in western markets where they are only just now beginning to wake up to the idea of dashcams, now is a good time to be getting into the other countries, some get it, most don't

Despite the screen being a bit too big and the rear camera not being 1080p it does look like a v nice solution overall. I hope they have sorted optical assembly production procedures.
It's a bit like a 7900 but with 720p rear camera and a screen for aiming.
The fonts and the overall video overlay look the same, I suspect the chipset is still TI and the firmware is a rework of the existing. This is a good thing as the 7900 firmware is very good - stable and one of the only cameras with a proper parking mode.
So if it isn't twice the money it could be a decent buy.
If you have a normal rear view and not a massive box of tricks behind your rear view you can still probably hide it Ok too (though wonder if you can use the screen properly then..probably well enough for aiming).
If it's very expensive then it won't be worth it, just get a 7900 or 7700 up front and a mini 0801 / mobius / 7700 for the rear, wiring a two cam solution is a pain as you have to get a cable from the rear camera to the front.
So for me.. whether or not this is decent (assuming it works as it should) will be probably be mostly down to price, about $300 would be right.

Last edited:
I have been thinking.
Here it is not legal to have a video or TV running on a screen while driving, but with a dualcam it would be possible to take out the rear.view mirror and then use the rear camera and the screen to replace that.
I cant see a problem in that as the screen only display more or less the same as a regular mirror would, but then Again i know that Danish politicians are not known for thinking or making Things easy.

It probably gets a better view than a mirror, if you have a standard mirror and / or poor view from your mirror due to small rear screen or big pillars then I can certainly see the logic in replacing it with the 9700. I wonder if you can get it to default to rear view and it would be good if you could schedule screen brightness to dip at night to reduce glare. Would also be worth checking if you're car would pass MOT (UK). Not something I would consider doing on a new car with auto dipping mirror and massive box of electronics behind though.

To be fair the dominant markets are Russia, Korea and Taiwan so the products are aimed at those markets and the requirement is much different to what is preferred in western markets, most (99%) are happy just to chase those markets

Competition on those markets is very though with present available dashcamera style / options. margins are low and in many cases it's "race to the bottom" ;)

I know that eastern market has it's own specific dashcam requirements ( style, options, etc ), but some time I have a feeleing that they even don't imagine that there are other more practical optiosn of dashcam system, like stealth remote lens systems. If in some stage high-end 1,2,4 channel remote lens dashcam system will be introduced to eastern market, - maybe this will open their eyes and they will wake up from that strange "hypnosis" of their understanding of practical dashcam system. ?

the growth potential is much higher in western markets where they are only just now beginning to wake up to the idea of dashcams, now is a good time to be getting into the other countries, some get it, most don't

those who get it sooner, - those can establish strong roots on western martket.

I suspect the chipset is still TI and the firmware is a rework of the existing.

From what I know, they are using Zoran Coach 14 in LK-9700 system.

Looks like a pretty nice UI, in a different league to what I've seen before
Nice overlay:
Broken?
Booting slow?

Last edited:
Today Lukas LK-9700 started selling on Korean market.
Price for basing set (Front camera + rear camera, 16 + 8Gb memory ) is 333usd

You can add OBD, GPS, etc, or deduct rear camera from drop-down menu of that listing.

Price.jpg

I find it funny that they crashed their car in the obd2 video.

OBD seems to be specific to Hyundai/Kia? Does Samsung make cars?

@Alpha Psi Samsung supply automotive parts to the motor industry, it seems logical that Lukas tested the OBD2 feature on cars produced on their doorstep.They have been working on the OBD2 feature in their dashcams for use in european model cars since at least way back last september to my knowledge. Its nice to know that like Jokiin with his camera project they wish to have the dashcam as near 100% as possible before releasing them........The car crash was of course deliberately staged one can only assume that the wall and the building behind it belongs to the company.:eek: .....Ipol

Tons of new pictures, tests, videos etc. HERE and HERE

Back