3 Channel= Dash + 2 external sideviews

wyattusmc90

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking for a system that will connect a forward facing dash cam with 2 external side view cameras. The 2 external Sideview cameras will be mounted on the mirrors of my auto transporter (car hauler). I would like to have the prebuffering motion sensor feature to provide added security when the vehicle is not running as well. I'm new to the dash cam scene, but I was a computer tech for 5 years in my previous career so I'm fairly savvy with technology. Of course wifi and app compatability are a plus. Price is not a major concern (within reason). From my research Thinkware may be a valid option. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated

Welcome to DCT @wyattusmc90 :)

AFAIK nobody yet offers a 3-channel cam with waterproof remote cam modules except for commercial systems. Very few consumer-grade cams offer waterproof cams, most of these are 2-channel cams designed for motorcycle use. There are some 2-channel cams with a main windshield-mounted front cam and a single waterproof remote module.

The main issue with the commercial cam systems are price which can go to 4 figures, and resolution value as most of these run VGA or 480p for the secondary cams which few people find acceptable in a world where 4K video can be had. For consumer-grade cams like most here use you could arrange a pair of 2-channel cams for this, thus getting the higher resolution values with one 'front' channel aimed elsewhere through glass or used for a redundant front view.

Sad to say but consumer-grade dashcams are rather simple cheap devices in general, and features like pre-buffered 'motion detect' for parking modes often don't work too well if at all, but as basic recorders the better ones do quite well and using time-lapse or low-bitrate recording for parking is quite reliable and currently the best way to go. You also can't often find a cam giving you everything you want- something has to be compromised to get the main things you want- so even your small 'wish-list' of features becomes tough to handle. Things are improving but sl;owly and I doubt we will see a consumer-grade cam with 2 waterproof remotes for at least a year or three into the future.

Phil

I've found that Falcon Electronics make an Eagle-eye model that has 3 cameras but I'm unsure of the quality of the device. It also requires the mounting of a large DVR display and has max recording of about 8hrs I believe with 128gb memory card. Both garmin and Thinkware over a single exterior camera expansion, but I believe they are limited to just one extra camera. Another option could be that I run 2 separate systems. One system with 2 external cameras and no dash cam, similar to what was mentioned for motorcycles, and a stand alone dashcam. Quality and dependable are of utmost importance

Such a system dont really exist yet, at least for consumer cameras.
For many years i have myself used first single cameras for side cameras and then dual remote cameras now, but these are all internal cameras aimed strait out the side.
And this aim are also fine for most driving scenarios, but say for capturing perking lot door dings it is pretty much useless due to the aim, here down the side cameras mounted outside on the front fender are much better, but these systems barely exist, and if it must be 1080p footage they do not exist.
South Korean Gnet do have a 3 or even 4 channel system like that, but the side cameras are just 720p and so not something i will recommend.

Mind you these systems are pretty much unknown to users in here, so no one can tell for sure.

Thinkware also presented a 4 channel system with down the side cameras a year or so ago, but it have yet to see production ( probably due to the virus )

There are also some other systems with larger box shaped cameras ( box about 1x1x1 inch ) also waterproof, and meant for install on the mirror tree of a truck.
Again these cameras see very little or no mention in here, so really no telling what you can expect.
one such camera could be.

The Gnet system looks almost ideal, other than all the price and ordering info is in Korean lol I can't tell how much it costs or how to order

I think there are US sellers too, there is a video on YT with someone fitting a system to a truck.

But yeah like i said this brand are not well known here in the west at all, so sellere and maybe support could be problematic, though that are not really uncommon with Korean systems.

The Gnet system looks pretty ideal. Expandable 2tb external HD, app and cloud services, motion detection, wifi, touchscreen and no huge dvr to mount. The large external cameras wouldn't be ideal for a passenger car, but for my needs they are fine. Prices are around $650 without the external HD and I found a few dealers in the US and Canada.

Yeah, if you pull the trigger you are going to be a guinea pig, for sure we would much appreciate some feedback as the brand are very unknown to most of us.
I think it also support fairly large memory cards, which i think should suffice if it is in your personal vehicle.

Back