3 Day Old 0805 From Gearbest Keeps Freezing

SupraMKIV

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So this is my final attempt to get this camera going before i begin the gnarling process of exchange with gearbest.

My issue is that the camera works fine for up to 2hrs and then it will suddenly display a STILL blue LED. Thankfully if i hold the power button for 20 seconds or so it restarts and functions normally again, but sadly it does freeze again. I have tried both a class 6 and a class 10 memory card, both freshly long formatted with no luck. I also am running the 2015 firmware (came with it) if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Long format? On a PC then? Try formatting in the camera if you haven't already.

Long format? On a PC then? Try formatting in the camera if you haven't already.

I did a long format on the PC to both cards and when i put them into the camera it gave me a message both times to format on the camera.

That sounds worrying. I wouldn't expect errors to happen right away. Unless it was using the wrong format for some reason (NTFS or wrong type of FAT if it's a very large card?)
Once you do a format in the camera you eliminate that as a cause of problems that follow. But I recall that some people do have to use a utility program to do the formatting for large cards - 64GB or more?

That sounds worrying. I wouldn't expect errors to happen right away. Unless it was using the wrong format for some reason (NTFS or wrong type of FAT if it's a very large card?)
Once you do a format in the camera you eliminate that as a cause of problems that follow. But I recall that some people do have to use a utility program to do the formatting for large cards - 64GB or more?

Well the class 6 card is 8gb and the class 10 is 16gb. Both formatted with fat32. They are both also genuine cards hmm...

UPDATE!

So i have noticed that it only freezes when it runs out of space. On both cards the last video is corrupt.

I suspect my 0806 flakes out if there is anything irregular about the file structure and the card is full. This includes files set to read-only by the manual protect keypress, or possibly by the G-sensor.
I haven't absolutely confirmed this, but it does seem to work error-free when I avoid those things.

I suspect my 0806 flakes out if there is anything irregular about the file structure and the card is full. This includes files set to read-only by the manual protect keypress, or possibly by the G-sensor.
I haven't absolutely confirmed this, but it does seem to work error-free when I avoid those things.

I havent protected any files yet. I have also now just disabled the g sensor and il see if it changes anything. Maybe both memory cards have issues? Is there any recommended softwares that can check the health of SD cards?

My 0805 performed similarly when I had a bad memory card in it. Since the behaviour is similar I'd suggest it is memory card related. FWIW mine shuts down when it runs out of space - though only on 5 minute loops with a week or two of saved clips. I format my 64Gb in the camera and it works fine.

Is there any recommended softwares that can check the health of SD cards?
H2testw is a good start. It writes data to the whole card in such a way that it can verify it is really storing all that data. i.e. it tests to see if it is a fake card that is pretending to be bigger than it really is.
By doing this it is also doing a basic check that data can be written/read from the whole card.
Remember to format the card before testing (or deleting all files) so H2testw can work on the whole card.

Another program I like to use is CrystalDiskMark. It measures how fast a storage device is at reading/writing different sized blocks of data. It's quite shocking to see how slow electronic storage can be!

Extremely good news!

So i used all the tools listed above on my 2 day old Emtec 16gb class 10 uhs1 card and everything appeared correct. 1 hr into my 6 hr journey it froze once again, so after holding the power button for 15 seconds in switches back on and starts working as normal. So i decided to leave it switched off and i was going to send it back to china when i got back from the trip.

We finally arrived and my partner told me that she needed to print a ticket, so we popped into the local officestore and there infront of me was a Strontium 32gb class 10 uhs1 on special for $20. So i grabbed one intending to use it in my phone. We got back to the car and my partner suggested i should just give the camera one last shot with the new micro sd. Amazingly the camera did the whole 6hr journey back without a single issue.

My issue appears to be solved. Make sure you try multiple cards and see if that solves any of your freezing issues!!

Has anyone done an analysis to understand what, exactly, makes these dashcams so finicky when it comes to memory cards? With the exception of a Sandisk-branded card that turned out to be counterfeit, I've never had a problem with any memory card with any of my other devices. Is it simply a write speed issue? And, if so, are card manufacturers simply lying about their specs? Or is the problem something else?

Back