3-wire hardwire kit's wire gauge?

surby

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've looked online at several places and have an inquiry in to viofo but wonder if someone here knows the gauge (awg) of the red, yellow and black wires on the 3-wire a129 hardwire kit? thanks in advance foe all helpful information and i'll post back what I hear back from viofo.

I've looked online at several places and have an inquiry in to viofo but wonder if someone here knows the gauge (awg) of the red, yellow and black wires on the 3-wire a129 hardwire kit?
It`s 20AWG.

thank you very much.

If the factory red, yellow and black wires are not long enough and you need to extend it I suggest to cut factory cables near the kit and wire whole distance with silicone wires.
For one of my installations the factory cables were not long enough.
I bought silicon cables long enough to connect power source with kit, I cut factory cables, as seen below (more about this installation you can find in post Infiniti Q50 hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual):
montaz-3-jpg.45370

Last edited:
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll likely use 18awg to run back to the hatch where i'm putting some small agm batteries in parallel. i'll likely cut the ground and acc wires shorter and terminate them near the driver footwell fusebox area.

this is what I got from viofo; it's 24awg wire.

HK3.png

I've looked online at several places and have an inquiry in to viofo but wonder if someone here knows the gauge (awg) of the red, yellow and black wires on the 3-wire a129 hardwire kit? thanks in advance foe all helpful information and i'll post back what I hear back from viofo.

The OFFICIAL hard wire kit is 16 AWG and should use a 5 AMP fuse to protect camera. It's printed on the wires of the hardwire kit.

I also have 16 AWG printed on cable. Kit is already hardwired so I cannot take picture of it.

Meaning you want to use a 5 AMP fuse, which is more than plenty to protect the camera. 16 AWG is rated for 10 AMPS but ideally 7.5 and below. And 5 is a good "safety zone"...

Sorry guys - I have 20 AWG printed on cable (as in #2 post) . Kit is already hardwired so I cannot take picture of it.

I found reviev of Viofo Hardwire Kit on autowrzuta.pl . Autowrzuta.pl is polish language equivalent of dashcamtalk.

According to pictures attached to review black 3-wire cable section is 24 AWG (as Viofo claim), and separate wires (yellow, red and black ) are 20 AWG:
4[1].jpg
9[1].jpg

More pictures you can find in mentioned review: http://www.autowrzuta.pl/showthread.php?tid=14495&pid=266455#pid266455

Now I can confirm that my hardwire kit have 20AWG gauge - found 20AWG printed on cable on one of my picture made during installation.

IMG_20190317_101343.jpg

What is the reason this 3 wire kit will work fine on other cameras but the ACC switching function will not work? Is it because of something in the firmware or hardware or both? This is of cource that the other cameras have a parking mode.

What is the reason this 3 wire kit will work fine on other cameras but the ACC switching function will not work? Is it because of something in the firmware or hardware or both? This is of cource that the other cameras have a parking mode.
This adapter was designed specially for Viofo A129. Camera should have firmware supporting this kit. I don't think that other cameras, even with modified firmware can support this kit. It's because power in parking mode appears on different pin. More information cab be found in thread Parking Mode Beta Firmware.

Last edited:
final update; just got my 3-wire kit and the separate red, yellow and black wires are marked 20awg while the bundled wires running from battery voltage cutoff adjustment apparatus and the mini usb plug are marked as being 24awg. this is as some others have remarked above.

Strange that there is no consistency in the cables for this product when the pictures show the proof.

Strange that there is no consistency in the cables for this product when the pictures show the proof.

Guessing they must have updated the hardwire kit for some reason. No big deal. whether 16, 20, or 24 AWG, just use a 5 watt fuse to protect camera. You really don't need anything above that anyways.

The coloured wires need to be able to carry everything the fuse can supply in the event of a short circuit without bursting into flames, which could be a lot of power. The USB cable only needs to carry what the hardwire kit will supply, and since there is a current limiter inside the hardwire kit this is a lot less power so thinner cables are fine. It does indicate that the hardwire kit could come with a 1 Amp fuse and thin cables on the input side, but individual 1 Amp cables would be a bit too delicate for the way and location it is fitted.

I didn't remark about cable size being small and I understand fuse relation to wire size. I simply meant that it is strange that they choose to change the specifications on wire size, when you do something like that it bothers some people worried about safety. They should have made some indication of the change on the forum or there website.

Back