3 years and 2 SD cards later and the Street Guardian finally pays off....

scotched

Reaction score
Country
United States

Got rear ended. She was clearly looking at her phone instead of what was in front of her. She tried to gently argue her case until I pointed to the dash cam and that was that. It's a bummer getting hit but I hope this video is proof enough. I was at a complete stop when I was hit - there is no case to say that I brake checked her or anything. The proof is mostly in her eyes, or the lack of them.

There really is no defensible argument for rear-ending someone during commute-time... like one comedian said, "What's so hard about driving straight?!?!" (-John Caparulo) - Luckily, you had "dashcam proof"!

There really is no defensible argument for rear-ending someone during commute-time... like one comedian said, "What's so hard about driving straight?!?!" (-John Caparulo) - Luckily, you had "dashcam proof"!

My worst fear is that I would get to work, check my SD card and the file would be corrupt, but all is well.

Story time: Right around the 2 year mark of owning this, I was noticing a long delay when I pressed my "capture" button and the "picture flash" sound that usually happens when I press it. SG recommennds changing SD cards once a year so I swapped it. I'm glad I did.

Just doing some back of the napkin math. All in all, I'm in about $350 on Dashcam parts. If I were blamed for this accident, I would be out a minimum of $300 deductible. Cost of damaged parts to my car is around $600 before paint, which I estimate to be around $400 if I were to pay out of pocket. If all goes well, I will pay $0.

Well I'm glad the math has worked out for you perfectly, and that you will not be held financially liable for the accident.

However, I would be hard-pressed to figure out how you could be held at all liable for someone who rear ends you in California... I know as well as anyone how crazy California can be, but blaming you for a rear-ender during commute time defies logic.

Stay safe!

The girl that hit me was 19 years old with ID address from Beverly Hills, 90210. She didn't have her insurance on her but was able to text me a copy of it later in the day. The copy of that insurance was printed on paper with a letterhead that had BLANK, BLANK, and ASSOCIATES. I'm making the assumption that her Dad is a lawyer.

In my suspiscious mind I think to myself - what legal trickery can someome use to get their daughter out of fault? Not beacuse you don't have the means to pay what you owe, but because you do have the means but would rather employ your influence or insider knowledge to get out of this mess for a small win. I simply don't trust the super rich to play by the rules.

The girl that hit me was 19 years old with ID address from Beverly Hills, 90210. She didn't have her insurance on her but was able to text me a copy of it later in the day. The copy of that insurance was printed on paper with a letterhead that had BLANK, BLANK, and ASSOCIATES. I'm making the assumption that her Dad is a lawyer.

In my suspiscious mind I think to myself - what legal trickery can someome use to get their daughter out of fault? Not beacuse you don't have the means to pay what you owe, but because you do have the means but would rather employ your influence or insider knowledge to get out of this mess for a small win. I simply don't trust the super rich to play by the rules.
If you want to be extra safe, ask your insurance agent to confirm that the other party is being held responsible for the accident and that no points are going on your driving record for the accident.

I hope the letterhead didn't say "Dewey, Cheatham & Howe!!!

SmartSelect_20220504-193444_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Are you driving an MR2? I don’t recognize the rear for certain.

PS My SG setup paid for itself many times over within a year after a man backed into the side of my car at a gas station. I even laid on the horn, and it didn’t help. Did quote a bit of damage to the door, fender, and B-pillar, several thousand to fix, plus I got additional depreciation payment for it. The vehicle was uninsured even though the driver himself (the father of the girl whose car he was driving) had insurance on his own vehicles. Thankfully it was Allstate, which is what I had, and they were great about it.

However, I would be hard-pressed to figure out how you could be held at all liable for someone who rear ends you in California... I know as well as anyone how crazy California can be, but blaming you for a rear-ender during commute time defies logic.

Stay safe!
California is a "no fault" state, which means everyone shares blame and costs. Some years back my brother got ran into by a car running a red light in Sacramento. Astonishingly two witnesses hung around and told the Cop what my brother claimed- that the light had changed at least 4-5 seconds before that and that the offender had made no effort to slow down much less stop. My brother was assessed with 40% of the blame because he entered an intersection before making certain nobody was coming on the crossing road regardless of who has red or green lights, and because he hadn't slowed down for the intersection even though he was doing about 30 in a 35 zone which deemed a safe speed to have been going in that intersection.

So I won't be surprised whatever happens here, but with the dashcam video at least @scotched has the best chance possible for as favorable an outcome as can be had.

Phil

It is funny things can work like that when in life and just about anywhere else, there always are a person to blame or a reason something happen, and people always go for that as it is normal.
So "no fault" to me just signal that " our officers cant be bothered with things like that" and to be honest i dont get insurance companies like that ( sharing costs ) when they are least some times could get off paying nothing.
Unless of course insurance companies are just legalized scamming,,,,,, which something like that make me think it is.

But ! then again i also see things in Danish society that remind me of a MO like that,,,,, and of course i also do not like that.

Back