312GW Charging issue.

dvidwheelr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 312GW will not hold any charge at all. I have it hardwired so it is constantly charging while driving however the minute power is lost to the camera is gives a low battery warning and turns off.

I thought the issue might lie with the fact that I only do short journeys and live in quite a busy area so parking mode is activating. I turned parking mode off and still it shows low battery whenever power is lost.

Brought it into the house and charged it using the USB cable and a mains plug for 12+ hours. The minute I unplugged it, it showed low battery and turned off.

Faulty unit or something I’m doing wrong?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rechargeable batteries only last for 300 to 500 full charge cycles. If you use your dashcam daily then after about 3 years the battery will start to degrade.

I would concur with that. I would add that it is not simply charge cycles that degrades the Li-Ion pack, temperature is an issue too. These things are stuck up on screens in greenhouse conditions and they get hot even on mildly sunny days.

I have changed the battery in mine once already. I'm experienced with electronics, but even without that I think it is a fairly trivial task. I had nothing to lose by changing the battery if I got it wrong.

Dismantle to expose battery pack.
Desolder its wires from the PCB (being careful not to short the wires together)
Solder in new battery.
Reassemble

Why these devices aren't manufactured to easy battery replacement beats me.

Same as electric toothbrushes, and now phones, they want you to buy new

Today's horrible throw away society! Even applies to white goods!

My 312GW will not hold any charge at all. I have it hardwired so it is constantly charging while driving however the minute power is lost to the camera is gives a low battery warning and turns off.
Thanks
If it's hard wired surely it doesn't ever "turn off" technically speaking so when does the problem occur, when you remove it from the mount??

If it is hard wired to an ignition switched supply, which is the usual way of doing it, then it will turn off when the ignition is turned off.

Ah, OK. I thought one hard wired to a "live" terminal, on all the time.

Makes sense, now I've just got to find my fuse box!!!

Wired to a permanent live will not only possibly cause overheating, recording 24x7, but will cause it to go through SDcards very quickly, they only have a limited write/overwrite capacity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S 312GW 4
B 312GW 2
B 312GW 3
J 312GW 7
D 312GW 4
Back