322GW Question

TerryAdams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everything works as it should with the cam. However i'm confused with the app because it uses bluetooth AND wifi ? Why is this ? Could someone explain why it doesn't just use bluetooth ?

Is WIFI necessary ? And does it piggyback the phones wifi connection ?
Also does parking mode drain either the dashcam or the car battery ? I have it hardwired to the fusebox ( Halfords )
Thanks

Last edited:
Sometimes if I try to test the parking mode, I turn the ignition off... open and close the door to emulate a bump, the red light comes on for 5 seconds then goes off, is this because I have the G - Sensor set to low ?

Also when in parking mode, does it use the internal Nextbase battery, or does it run off the car's fusebox ?

Last edited:
Hello,

The 322GW has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, which it uses to connect to the MyNextbase Connect mobile app. It uses Bluetooth to make the initial connection (you can then see the status of the camera as 'Connected' on the app home screen). The dash cam and app will then uses a direct Wi-Fi connection to steam the footage from the cam's SD card to your phone. You can view these streamed files on the 'Dash Cam' tab of the app. Once they're loaded onto the 'Dash Cam' tab, they can then be downloaded onto your mobile device. They are also downloaded over the Wi-Fi connection. Once downloaded, the files will be displayed in the 'Library' tab of your MyNextbase Connect app. The files cannot be downloaded via Bluetooth.

Please note that :
1. The 'Dash Cam' tab of the app will only be viewable if the camera is turned on and within two metres of the phone.
2. The direct Wi-Fi connection is between the phone and the dash cam, and does not require an external Wi-Fi router, such as a home Wi-Fi box.
The Series 2 Cameras have an internal lithium ion battery for emergency uses, such as the loss of power during an incident. This will allow the camera to continue recording to the end of the clip before switching off.

If you intend on using Parking Mode on your camera, then we'd recommend using a Hard Wire Kit as you are doing. The Hard Wire Kit will allow the camera to draw nominal current from the car's battery, preventing the cam's battery from being drained. The Hard Wire Kit has an in-built voltage cut off which protects the car's battery from being drained below 11.2V. We'd recommend using a Permanent Live fuse for the Hard Wire Kit, which will allow Parking Mode to work as long as your car's battery is above 11.2V.
If you are currently on a switch live fuse (the blue LED doesn't show on the camera when the car is off) then the camera will use it's internal battery for Parking Mode. This is about 15 minutes of battery life.

For Parking Mode, if the camera is completely still for five minutes (the car is parked), then the camera will 'hibernate' in Parking Mode.

If your car is bumped and the G Force sensor registers movement then the dash cam will automatically turn on, record for 30 seconds and then shut back down again. If you are unlucky enough to be hit twice in a row then the dash cam would automatically record again and capture both events.

Here's some more information about Parking Mode:
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cam-features/parking-mode/

Please perform a Parking Mode test:

1) Bring the camera inside your home/office. Plug the camera in using the USB cable. Ensure the Blue LED is illuminated and that the cam is receiving power.
2) Make sure the cam can record, you may need to select 'POWER ON' on the screen if plugged into a PC.
3) Ensure Parking Mode is turned 'ON'.
4) Put the camera on a flat, still surface.
5) Press the record button. The camera will start recording a normal file.
6) Now leave the camera still. After a period of inactivity, the camera will turn off.
7) Once the cam has turned off, shake it.

If the camera turns on and records with a padlock on the screen, Parking Mode is functional.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

@NextBase Support That's perfect, thanks. It works really well and I'm happy.
One last question Sometimes if I try to test the parking mode ( in the car ), I turn the ignition off... open and close the door to emulate a bump, the red light comes on for 5 seconds then goes off, is this because I have the G - Sensor set to low ?

The other thing is, why do I sometimes get a " Battery low " notification if it runs off the cars fusebox ?

The installer didn't ask me to charge it when he first installed it ( I heard you are supposed to charge it for 2 hours.. ) this may be why

Last edited:
This is about 15 minutes of battery life.

15 minutes of recording time do you mean ?
think I know now. It runs and charges off the fusebox when driving. But when parked up with the ignition off it uses the internal battery of the camera. Does this mean I cannot use park mode then ?

Hello,

When Parking Mode is activated, the camera should turn on and record for 30 seconds, and then shut down again. The screen and the red LED should illuminate for the 30 seconds.

There's two different type of fuses in a vehicle- switch live fuses and permanently live fuses.
A Switch Live Fuse provides power to the ports only when the car's ignition is turned on. When the car is switched off, the ports will also be turned off and the camera will not receive power. This is what you're currently on and why you're getting a 'battery low' message when the car is off.
A Permanently Live Fuse will provide power to the ports at all times, whether the car's ignition is on, or off. You'll be able to identify this as the camera will be permanently on.

I would also recommend a home charge of the camera for four hours. This will fully charge the battery.
If you want to use Parking Mode, we'd recommend using a Permanent Live fuse position, and then enabling Parking Mode on the camera. That way the camera will still receive power when the car if off.

The battery in the camera has around 15 minutes of battery life.
Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.
A 32GB SD card records around 2 hours of footage before loop recording. The 64GB around 4 hours and the 128GB around 8 hours.

Kind regards,
Millie

OK well I don't want to mess with the fusebox so i'll have to live without it. It would be good if the battery lasted longer in parking mode though !

OK well I don't want to mess with the fusebox so i'll have to live without it. It would be good if the battery lasted longer in parking mode though !
Hi Terry,

The Series 2 Cameras have an internal lithium ion battery for emergency uses, such as the loss of power during an incident. This will allow the camera to continue recording to the end of the clip before switching off. For using Parking Mode long term, we would recommend using a Permanent Live fuse instead. If you return to Halfords, they will be able to move the fuse tap position for you.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back