32GB memory card only records 1 hour video?

yuppicide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 32GB memory card. I realize close to 10GB is reserved so that leaves 22GB.

I am recording in 1080p with sound off. I get roughly 1 hour record time. Is this normal? If so that stinks. Going to 64GB may only give me 2 hours. I was hoping to record my whole 7.5 hour work day without having to overwrite any videos.

The most videos seems to be 15 videos. Most of them are 05:00, and 3 or 4 of them are less.

Have you checked what proportion of the SD card is reserved for EVENT recordings? The minimum is 30%. I can't remember what the maximum is.

Did you format the card in the camera using the App?

You should get nearly 4 hours, or nearly 8 hours from a 64GB card.

Formatting the card in the camera would be a good idea, there may be some hidden rubbish on it, especially if you have put it in an Apple product at some point.

A file with a duration of 1 min takes up about 90 MB, 1 hour of recording ≈ 5.4 GB.
On a 32 GB card, only ≈29.2 GB is available for recording, subtract 10 GB and you get 19.2 / 5.4 = 3:33 (3.55) hours.

I am recording in 1080p with sound off. I get roughly 1 hour record time. Is this normal?
Your 32Gb card should last about 3.5 hours before a loop!

Is it formatted correctly? @estore009 could send you the software needed to ensure it's the right format (FAT32)

Wonder if it could be a fake card? I can't see much point with this smallish size, but I know the bigger ones get faked regards actual size.

Phil

Wonder if it could be a fake card? I can't see much point with this smallish size, but I know the bigger ones get faked regards actual size.

Phil

fake cards come in any size that sells, they never like to miss an opportunity

If this Guiformat Tool cannot remove unknown files from your card, it is better to follow Jokiin's suggestion!

GUIformat is useful to format cards larger than 32GB to FAT32 format, SDformatter won't do that, what SDformatter does do though when you use the overwrite and erase option is return cards to their factory default state, this is always useful to make sure no incorrect formatting is affecting your results, note that Windows built in formatting program does not format memory cards correctly so SDformatter is a useful tool to use when trouble shooting memory card problems, likewise h2testw is a very useful program as a lot of memory related problems are due to low quality or fake capacity memory

SDformatter is useful for deleting "invisible" partitions that may be using up space, none of the normal formatting tools will do that. But if that was the problem then the OP would be seeing a card size of around 8GB instead of around 29GB. The suggestion of it being a fake card seems more likely.

No it's definitely not a fake card. I have used it just fine in my cell phone and the cell phone I had before that. Other devices show it as 32GB. I had used the phone to format it.

I'll try some of the suggestions listed.

No it's definitely not a fake card. I have used it just fine in my cell phone and the cell phone I had before that. Other devices show it as 32GB. I had used the phone to format it.
it may not be a fake card but just for reference fake cards will show up just fine at the full capacity and things like cell phones will take a long time to show them as a problem, they format just like regular cards also, h2testw is the best for identifying the true health of the card

There are a few moments when using a memory card in a Dashcams, not listed above: the fact that the card works well in other devices (phone, camera) is not an indication of its compatibility with Dashcam, and even successful work in another Dashcam does not mean that it is in your dashcam that it will work well and will record video.
And the second point - after formatting the memory card in the phone, it is necessary to format it in dashcam itself, because the phone even after formatting leaves some folders on the card that may have a negative effect on the ability to record. The card must be absolutely clean.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C B1W 1