360° with four 0806's

erkme73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
a119v3 x 4
Obviously the closer the subject is to the car, the less likely it is to get captured. But for cars in the lanes in immediately on either side of my vehicle (whether traveling on the road or parked in a parking lot), there's enough overlap to make me happy. Screen grab below has each of the cameras synced to the second. Red arrows show the overlap...

2015-08-01_20-48-09.jpg

Dude, you are LEGEN........wait for it.........DARY!

For all you who don't understand that remark it's from a popular TV show character named Barney Stinson here in the US.

Obviously the closer the subject is to the car, the less likely it is to get captured. But for cars in the lanes in immediately on either side of my vehicle (whether traveling on the road or parked in a parking lot), there's enough overlap to make me happy. Screen grab below has each of the cameras synced to the second. Red arrows show the overlap...

Awesome! Now you just need to write a script that will take all four separate videos and merge it into a 360-degree video file.

erkem73, do you do anything special, in terms of naming conventions or file folders, to help you identify your four sets of videos so you can match them up later (front, back, sides) if needed?

erkem73, do you do anything special, in terms of naming conventions or file folders, to help you identify your four sets of videos so you can match them up later (front, back, sides) if needed?

I've been running four cameras for nearly a year now and I find that for practical purposes there is no need to regularly view all four captures. I only transfer whichever camera's video is of interest to me at a given time and leave the others in place. At the most I have used two camera's captures to document certain events, such as rear and one side. The side cameras are great for capturing license plates that a front or rear camera might miss.

At least for me, I have found that once you've simultaneously viewed all four videos for the 360 degree effect a few times it's just a novelty. The real value of deploying four cameras is to have the coverage of each unit if and when it's needed. I especially appreciate the side cameras for parking mode and to keep watch on the cars beside me on the highway.

As for naming conventions I keep it simple - front - rear - left -right.

Last edited:
Using Mobius cameras provides flexibility in lens choice and this works well for back and side cams. I've also used an 0806 for a side cam and like the above examples, it works very well in that role.

At this point, I don't like to leave my vehicle in a parking lot without 360º coverage. For this reason I tend to tilt my side cameras down to cover as close to the side of my vehicle as possible in a parking situation even if it means having a bit of my Toyota Tacoma's rear fixed window frame in the image.. Here's a Mobius side view. (B lens in C module)
left.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed that taking all four out simultaneously is likely unnecessary once the newness and testing phases are complete. I originally started a thread asking if there was a way to change the default file name - either completely, or by adding a prefix. Currently, all clips are stored as AMBRXXX.mov - or something similar. If the files of all four cards are read by Registrator Viewer, there is no way to differentiate the set of clips from one camera from those of another. Unfortunately, it appears the file naming is not modifiable.

But as DM pointed out, it's unlikely that you'll be handing the files of more than one or two cameras at a time anyway.

Back