360º DashCam of The Future

Some one made a ball with 32 Little cams in, you trow it and it take a pic at the apex where there is 0 G, but i dont think there are in any way future of dashcams.
With this our cars will look like Google streetview cars, as it will have to go on top of car on a mast, but 4 or more cams inside or built into the bodywork of the car will proberly come soon.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/panono-ball/

Maybe 4 mobius wide lens for 360x90º (VFOV not sure)

For the full panoramic video (360x180º) 4-mobius needed, +4 SUNEX Lens 184 º.

frame mobius360

frame_mobius360.jpg

Mobius Dash Cam on 180º Panoramic Player

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-dash-cam-on-180º-panoramic-player.3876/

Another interesting option is Innovv wide lens.

To be mounted on a car, you'd want a vertical axis of 30-45 degrees. A full-round 360 view would not need the same quality on each camera -- 1080p/30 on the front one and perhaps the rear, but side cams could be 720p and/or 15fps. This ASSumes each of six cameras have 75-degree FOVs with 15 degrees devoted to software interstitching.

You could simulate this today with 2nd-gen GoPro Hero2 cameras (to make it more affordable), but we're talking lipstick-size cameras consisting basically of just lens and CCD with the battery and storage held elsewhere. In fact, you'd want to have the external capture device as cheap as possible, expecting a good amount of damage or loss, so a target for that part (each camera) should be no more than $~30USD.

To be mounted on a car, you'd want a vertical axis of 30-45 degrees. A full-round 360 view would not need the same quality on each camera -- 1080p/30 on the front one and perhaps the rear, but side cams could be 720p and/or 15fps. This ASSumes each of six cameras have 75-degree FOVs with 15 degrees devoted to software interstitching.

You could simulate this today with 2nd-gen GoPro Hero2 cameras (to make it more affordable), but we're talking lipstick-size cameras consisting basically of just lens and CCD with the battery and storage held elsewhere. In fact, you'd want to have the external capture device as cheap as possible, expecting a good amount of damage or loss, so a target for that part (each camera) should be no more than $~30USD.

This is my first experimental video 360 º with 4 cameras gopro hd in 2010

I'll upload it later in Interactive Viewer

Suso

This is my first experimental video 360 º with 4 cameras gopro hd in 2010

Excellent for a stationary test video. What a lot of people will want to judge is how the complete image degrades on the sides when in motion; also whether or how much the rear view is critical. At 60 miles per hour, 88 feet per second, a 30-frame/sec side video is going to have discreet images 3 feet apart.

In normal driving circumstances, the front camera is most important. But in the event of an accident, side and rear views may become more important. In parking mode, all cameras should receive equal priority.

What's your opinion on the need or advisability of stitching the cams together? I'd like to have software that shows all 4 or 6 views (time synchronized) simultaneously in separate windows at full resolution. Most of the time I wouldn't care to stitch views together, because I think that would be a lot of processing for what's usually throwaway video. But I'd like the _option_ of stitching together any combination of cameras (if needed for an accident video). How much effort is needed to process the stitching operation at full HD (1080p) -- are we close to real time for contemporary processors, or is it several hours' effort?

Video 360 on Interactive Player

Here >

This looks good !

Fujitsu 360° Wrap-Around Video Imaging Technology For Automotive

Fujitsu 360° Wrap-Around.../media]

It does look good (as a marketing video). This application seems geared specifically toward stationary use, or parking mode. Having six cameras instead of 4 would give you more of a "normal" viewing perspective.

One problem I have with the video is it shows a "stitched" video displayed on a screen in the car. I don't see a practical value in putting so much processing power for a single application into a vehicle -- I'd prefer to have it done offline, that is, brought in to a desktop. If you put an expensive module in a dashboard, this just increases the risk of theft. And the display looks good, but to have a decent image you'd have to have a larger screen than what's currently feasible in a dashboard layout. My Sony Vaio Z laptop has 1920x1200 in an 11" diagonal screen, but for any kind of detail work I go to one of the desktop 27" IPL monitors. (This year I may upgrade to 30" monitors.)

Another aspect is that from a practicality side, while the processing module is expensive in relative terms, you could have a "snap-in" car module, like an Android tablet, for the display. However, you wouldn't want to freeze the processing electronics at any specific age when the car should last at least 5-6 years. Within 2-3 years the electronics module would be badly outdated, like a tape cassette player in a car in 2014. (I could see a carmaker consortium standardizing on a dashboard snap-in size with USB 3.0 intercouplings, though -- you could install anything from a Google 7 to an iPad, then update hardware as appropriate.)

Video 360 (stitched) is aimed at marketing, publicity, entertainment, etc. But applied to the world of dash cameras, can be used in another way:
Suppose you have extreme fishye 2 on 2 dashcam (180 or 190 degrees and good quality), you can use one in front and one facing the inside of the car. With a viewer as I pose in this post,

Here>

on your personal computer you can see every point of view.
It is a much cheaper solution and unobtrusive ....and no necessary stitched
Suso

Last edited by a moderator:
idfea.jpg

This may be an idea of camera system 360.
we only have to find the perfect camera, lens and player:
Proposals are welcome! come on!

Do you mean to replace your original lens of the camera for fisheye is very dificult?

distrib.jpg

maybe so ...

If this placement is appropriate,
What camera and lens you think would be ideal?
resolution, degrees lens , appearance, etc ...

Back