360º, triple camera dash cam - cool or too good to be true?

dalenorman2005

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Claims to have 3 cameras - two forward stitched together for very wide angle, and one backwards. "Sounds" fabulous....

http://www.amazon.com/O-SKY-Panorama-Ca ... dual+lense

also available here...

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholes ... ing_Angle/

As is usual for dash cams, theres no clear manufacturer and no confirmable way to get future firmware updates or even an online user manual. The specs say 260º for the front camera, but the sample video doesn't look that wide. 260º should show the driver and passenger seat while viewing the road ahead, no?

This cam looks great - i love the idea of recording everything that's going on around the car, but i'm concerned about the typical - crappy video and buggy firmware.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• Car_DVR_Black_Box_and_Camera_bxiofJZE.jpg.thumb_400x400.jpg
    Car_DVR_Black_Box_and_Camera_bxiofJZE.jpg.thumb_400x400.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 635
  • Car_DVR_Black_Box_and_Camera_bxioZ5EJ.jpg.thumb_400x400.jpg
    Car_DVR_Black_Box_and_Camera_bxioZ5EJ.jpg.thumb_400x400.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 634
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 360º, triple camera dash cam - cool or too good to be tr

I'm calling BS. I'm guessing bad quality and firmware.

I think someone in the marketing department failed Geometry.
Maybe 160 degree front and 90 degree rear, if that. Never mind if it's actually HD or not (It isn't)

No doubt the 260 degree claim stems from having a 130 degree lens in each side

Two front cameras have each 130degree diagonal or about 90 degree true horizontal, combined they give about 180-190 degree true horizontal. Each front cam records at 720p but later via software interpolation combines two images in to one 1920 x 500 something, so end video quality result is very poor.
Amazon ad says 1/2" cmos which is BS.
Rear camera is VGA which is also no good.
But taking into consideration price what else do you want to expect?

Similar solution true FullHD video quality Korean dash cam system with good night vision, high bitrate, high FPS would cost 5-10 times more.

Dont forget the rule: you will get what you pay.

Xybone said:

Actually, its not. Both front camera each with 130deg angle will be stitch together to form a 260 deg panoramic view. The back camera which is also a 130 deg cam will cover the rest. Its not a FULL 360 deg but it does cover the entire front of your car all the way to your side mirror.

See attached for a video demo contributed by a truck driver in Singapore. Note that the video is bobbling up and down is due to the vibration of the truck.

https://app.box.com/s/zto20pkp1hnu21xqbl32

sgtechbiz said:
Xybone said:

Actually, its not. Both front camera each with 130deg angle will be stitch together to form a 260 deg panoramic view. The back camera which is also a 130 deg cam will cover the rest. Its not a FULL 360 deg but it does cover the entire front of your car all the way to your side mirror.

See attached for a video demo contributed by a truck driver in Singapore. Note that the video is bobbling up and down is due to the vibration of the truck.

Sorry, i don't really trust you as you're a retailer and could be showing us some ringer footage (make the best camera you can, give it out for free, make more shoddy cameraswhiw showing everyone really good footage) like what BlackVue did with the DRG500s.

Xybone said:

Sorry, i don't really trust you as you're a retailer and could be showing us some ringer footage (make the best camera you can, give it out for free, make more shoddy cameraswhiw showing everyone really good footage) like what BlackVue did with the DRG500s.[/quote]

Everyone has rights to trust or not trust.
In order not to trust, you have to have proves regarding that particular non-trusted person has been cheated or tricked you or anybody else here or somewhere else, like you mentioned Blackvue -"thing". ( By the way, - it is DR-500GW, not DRG500 )
But I see your point and agree in some way, because I also had bad experiences buying dash cameras where vendor sends first video files that are look crisp-clean, but in real life you get different result.
After following for long time this forum, the only vendor opinion I would trust is "Foxoffer" and manuffacturer "jokiin" as well.
I wish more vendors / manufacturers would come here and play fair game with us.

Xybone said:
Sorry, i don't really trust you as you're a retailer and could be showing us some ringer footage (make the best camera you can, give it out for free, make more shoddy cameraswhiw showing everyone really good footage) like what BlackVue did with the DRG500s.

understand your thinking, to be fair though I don't know that the sample video actually looks that good anyway and it likely is what you get, the viewing angles aren't anywhere near what they are promoted as, that's a misunderstanding I think from whoever wrote the spiel on this one that looked at the lenses used and thought you just add the numbers, from looks about 170 degrees total, rear is way less than advertised also, you only need to view the file to work that out, resolution is not great so detail is lacking but it's consistent with the hardware used and if you just want to have a record of what happened then it's doing the job, of course a lot of people want a lot greater detail than that

I've said since these came out that it would probably make a good rear cam option to get a very wide field of view to catch that stuff that's very often hard to see

what are peoples thoughts on the really wide view, assuming it was done properly though with full HD quality and no fishbowl effect, is that desirable, I'm interested in what people think

niko said:
Xybone said:

In order not to trust, you have to have proves regarding that particular non-trusted person has been cheated or tricked you or anybody else here or somewhere else, like you mentioned Blackvue -"thing". ( By the way, - it is DR-500GW, not DRG500 )
But I see your point and agree in some way, because I also had bad experiences buying dash cameras where vendor sends first video files that are look crisp-clean, but in real life you get different result.
After following for long time this forum, the only vendor opinion I would trust is "Foxoffer" and manuffacturer "jokiin" as well.
I know you need evidence, but when you're claiming something this big and "revolutionary", we need more evidence of this other than a video. We need user reviews or something like that.

Xybone said:
I know you need evidence, but when you're claiming something this big and "revolutionary", we need more evidence of this other than a video. We need user reviews or something like that.[/quote]

Yes, independent user review would be best proof.
Thats why moderator open this thread for vendors / manufacturers, so honest sellers would not be afraid to prove their product reliability.

Dash Cam Reviewers

Xybone said:
sgtechbiz said:
Xybone said:

Its fine not to trust me.. I have no intention whatsoever to promote this product here. I sold a lot in my own country. I am just highlighting the fact that quality of this product, thats all.

Thanks for posting that sample video, and for the various opinions. I've ordered one - will take the time to post my own sample videos and my personal review once i've had it for a while.

I'll try to calculate the effective field of view for both front and back.
assuming, of course, the thing actually works. these forums are proof that not all dashcams even work out of the box.

fingers crossed.

In some way I probably support "sgtechbiz" regarding he saying @ " ... highlighting the fact that quality of this product "
We have to look into this product as: price vs innovation vs quality and again vs price !

It cost ca 90-100usd and I think its fair pricing for this type of innovative dash camera system, despite I am sure the overall quality can not be compared to latest TioTech / Novatek type 1ch dash cams., but again we do not have to forget innovative approach of this dash camera sytem. If FOV 360 degree is proven, then for 90-100 usd having 360 rec is fair price. You may take it like this: buy 4 x 25usd single dash cams to have 360 degree recording, - or buy for the same money this system.
However I think front camera 130 + 130 is diagonal, not horizontal, but this is only my assumption, because I did not held this product in my hands, so hope "dalenorman2005 " can give us some of review after receiving and testing it.

niko said:
However I think front camera 130 + 130 is diagonal, not horizontal, but this is only my assumption, because I did not held this product in my hands, so hope "dalenorman2005 " can give us some of review after receiving and testing it.

I'm sure it's the diagonal measurement, the lenses are offset at 90 degrees to their center point so would never make a 260 degree image as there's the necessary overlap, it does however create a very wide field of view which going by the image is clearly less than 180 degrees but not by a great deal, 165 to 170 maybe, very wide in anyone's book, rear image is either cropped or about 85 to 90 degrees going by the results

Wow, very interesting innovation. (nearly all around view all at once)

I just checked out the sample video.

Luckily I have a 29" AOV super wide monitor, so full screen had minimal black bars.

JtJKicXl.jpg

I can't say I'm impressed with the the quality though, I see major Jelly effect, and it's not very "HD" looking even when giving the extreme panoramic blend a pass. (low bit rate?) I guess this is ok for pure accident documentation, but not so much for the hybrid dashcam hobbyist documentary maker. Maybe this example isn't the best, would be interested to see more

There are only few such-type so called 360 degree panoramic view dash camera systems at the moment and they have low-class video quality result, but as this is a just a first step in this category, then it is "forgiveable". Time will tell, if market accepts this type of concept, then it for sure will evolve by the time. Trying to remember years ago when very first dash cams came out. Even highly priced Korean dash cams at that time did at maximum VGA quality and it was better than nothing. Now you see how far dash cam technology and results evolved. So its just the matter of time.

I have 360deg view in my car - granted there's 1 or 2 degrees missing due to door pillars etc, so why bother stitching video together to create a panorama?
I would far sooner have 4 decent lenses to cover the 4 sides - like having 4 x DR32 or 4x Mobius.
In fact, after reading about the flash for cash insurance scam, I'd love to have 4 remote lenses (mounted to a central DVR) where the two side lenses could be panel mounted (so in the wings or wing mirrors? wings would probably be less open to accidental damage).

At the moment, I can do PiP with my software to show front and rear cam at the same time so I could maybe show rear with side PiP followed by side with front PiP then front in order to show a car driving past (for example).
Or front with side PiP to show a car pulling out in front or even to show a car flashing me to come out into a main road followed by rear with side PiP to show same car putting foot down to deliberately crash.

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where you need to show all 4 cams at once.

One for the wishlist Jokiin ?

sludgeguts said:
I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where you need to show all 4 cams at once.

One for the wishlist Jokiin ?

there is a 4 channel solution now that uses software to stitch all 4 images together and the result is quite good, within its limitations, only D1 res, turning this into a full HD version might be a bit of a challenge, although the result of the current technology is quite good the installation is very labour intensive which I think stands against it as it seems to have trouble finding a market

there are certainly technologies coming that will improve what we see, how long before we could have a 360 degree view or very close to, I'm not sure, still wishlist at this stage

Back