360 Coverage | 2013 Chrysler 300C

cyberoptix

Reaction score
Country
United States
My primary issue is careless people in public parking spaces, but I also wanted to purchase a setup that would provide coverage while driving.

So, I have purchased the following:

Dashcam: BlackVue DR900S-2CH

I have zero complaints about the BlackVue. However, as I am sure all of you are aware, the coverage still leaves the sides of my car unprotected. I have been focused on the Owlcam, as it does record in 360 and can capture anything up closee to the sidee of my car - but I welcome ANY constructive iput.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a true 360 dashcam that could satisfy my need for side coverage?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Since you already have a front & rear dashcam that you are happy with, I suggest that you add a pair of side cameras. Your car does not appear to have fixed side windows which can make things a bit tricky.

One suggestion is the dual channel B2W which you can mount near the rear view mirror. The lenses rotate so you can aim them both to the sides of the car. It's not a discrete camera though.

There is a side camera discussion thread on DCT which may give you some ideas:

Thank you, TonyM for your reply. I will definitely take into consideration the camera suggestion.

However, on a positive note, my car does have fixed windows on the sides (see attached). So, you may have been more help than intended.

One thing does come to mind though...
Do you think that adding two more cameras (hardwired I assume) would begin to draw too much from my battery? My assumption would be no, with consideration to stereo systems, amplifiers and other components people add but asking won’t hurt.

Attachments

• 07974FE9-4EDE-4BE1-A4AC-BD5CE6B5E7AE.jpeg
    07974FE9-4EDE-4BE1-A4AC-BD5CE6B5E7AE.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 5
Those small side windows don't go up & down, but they are on a door that opens, so cabling might not be particularly easy.

Adding another camera is not a problem - some of us run 4 or 5 channels, occasionally more! Yes, if you hardwire both, then the duration of parking recording may be limited before you reach a designated battery cutoff. Alternatively, you could run the side cameras off a powerbank when parked.

A pair of small remote cameras might be worth looking at - something like the K2S. Other manufacturers are also working on dual remote cameras, but you may have to wait a while before they are released.

Okay, makes perfect sense.

You’re right. After I replied, I thought about the cables. What about the area just after the small window? It’s a small section that is a hard plastic; maybe the cameras you’ve suggested could still angle outward and provide coverage?

What battery unit would you recommend. I only looked at the one for BlackVue, but since I’m hardwired, it wasn’t a part of my purchase.

The green shows the hard plastic area I’m referring to...

That could serve as a good mounting surface of the camera can still capture the sides of the car.

Attachments

• E414A937-DF42-4E53-AC71-8271FF10CA83.jpeg
    E414A937-DF42-4E53-AC71-8271FF10CA83.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 5
You will need to be a bit more creative to mount something on the hard plastic. You may want something with a ball joint to get the desired angle. Or a 3d-printed wedge.

Watch out for side curtain airbags, if you have any.

Textured plastic can be difficult to maintain good adhesion for mounts.

I would suggest taking some time to read through the side camera discussion to see some people's ideas on mounting side cameras.

I have my side cameras ( K2S dual remote system ) on a similar fixed glass on my rear doors, wired thru the door and the rubber grommet where other cables pass thru.
Biggest problem was taking off the lever you wind the windows up and down.
Took me a hour or two to install my side cameras.

I don't mind cameras getting shot off their place of install by a deploying airbag, as long as the camera don't get shot into the cabin but just downwards. with the size and weight of current remote cameras it will have to be shot down your throat to be deadly.

Back