380GW downloading files.

Development today....hurrah!!! Phone call from Lexus. Now got a new cam, battery and SD card fitted. Noted that the firmware rev on new cam was v3.2 as per previous post.
Hopefully all my grief will be over, although I will still have to check it every day till I'm satisfied it is working correctly.
Will keep you updated with any further developments.

Apparently this is the result of a telecon between Lexus and Nextbase. So, thx to Dan at Nextbase for facilitating the result.

Cheers

Last edited:
More on this ......again!!!!
After reverting firmware to v3.2 on Sunday. Problem re-surfaced again this morning. So problem not fixed.
Camera completely missed a journey again today. Recorded the outward journey, but completely missed the return journey.
This has been happening since day one. Only had it SIX weeks.
Not getting anywhere.......
Where are you Nextbase????????
Hi,

Dan has been in touch with Lexus, and the new Cam should have resolved the issue.
If you have any further problems, please contact our Support Team on 02920 866429 (UK) or support@nextbase.com and we'll be able to assist you directly.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi, so how’s the new cam working out as I’m interested in this cam myself. It seems every cam manufacturer has problems so I don’t think I’ll buy a high priced cam. Cheers.

I found the 380 resolution very poor and with no means of fixing a CPL I backed out.

My current dashcam is about the same price and with the latest firmware gives me quadHD @ 60fps

Hi Buff69, still not convinced it records EVERY journey. Fed up now. Spent a load of my time analysing it every day and continually finding faults. (Should never have had to do that!!, it should do what it says straight out the box!!) Have had the whole thing replaced including battery and SD card, but still misses journeys
Have declared it on my insurance but not so sure that was a good idea, 'cos knowing my luck it will miss just the journey I really need it to record.

So did you stick with 380?

lexus just installled one on mine. So far it’s been ok. I wasn’t expecting GoPro level video quality and reliability but it’s been ok. I haven’t noticed any missed files yet and Parking mode has been reliable.

why are you downloading files over the app? Just pop the sd card out, and downlaod on laptop, I get clear crisp video and audio that way

to me the benchmark of portable cameras is a GoPro and even the GoPro app sucks as far as downloading videos is concerned

the best part of the 380 is that is doesn’t look like a dashcam, it looks like the factory installled camera sensors most high end cars have. secondly I really like parking mode feature using an internal battery which for now seems to work all night long...

unlike other cameras, on parking mode, this is recording 24/7 using the internal battery every time it senses motion which is triggered even by opening a door. Increase the g sensor sensitivity to high. It even records the moment you enter the car in morning.

and Ofcourse you have to turn parking mode off if you want to download files or even touch the camera.

Last edited:
I binned the 380 due to very poor video quality and no CPL facility. I had a car overtake very dangerously and I could hardly read the number plate and that was a car travelling in the same direction.

That prompted me to look for another solid mount dashcam but with QuadHD and CPL, subsequently found and couldn't be better.

Which one did you go for?

I can read number plates easily, even two lanes away. Sun glare hasn’t been an issue.

Ok figured out, not that Chinese crap please:

for the rest, 380 is a solid discreet dashcam. Get both front and rear. Sharp crisp video. Number plates are easily read on both even several lanes away. Make sure you get it mounted by a Lexus dealer who knows how to do it especially if you have a hybrid. Lexus website only recommends one dealer in UK for it. I didn’t want to drive 2 hrs for it/. Local dealership actually took a day longer to get the expert in for installation.

on a hybrid it’s very important that the parking mode is not run on car batteries because it just reduces their lifespan. 380 has an internal battery which is surprisingly long lasting for parking mode, which I found very useful.

yes the app is slow and sluggish but at least it’s British and not run on PLA servers. Don’t use the app for download. Just pop the SD card out, and download on laptop. The app has several other features that are useful in a hurry like quick view, changing the exposure, g force sensitivity, etc

Last edited:
As long as you're happy, I've had both so have been able to compare and I know who my winner is by a country mile.

You're happy
I'm happy

Job done.

Oh, by the way, have a look at the 380 manual, page 12:

Made in China

Note: This post has been edited as the previous post was deleted

V3 runs at 2560x1440 @ 60fps 27000kbps bitrate.
380 runs at 1920x1080 @ 30fps 10000kbps bitrate

Compared to the 380 the footage is chalk and cheese.

Last edited:
Ofcourse it is/ 2k also makes the camera hot and takes your car battery go through highs and lows especially if parking mode is on

380 records in 1080p 60fps unless the rear camera is also attached

I am pleasantly surprised with the 1080p 30fps of 380. At that setting, my GoPro struggles to capture number plates but not the 380. I think on balance, given temperature, battery drainage, 380 is a good deal and no one is breaking into my car to steal the dashcam. It’s very discreet

Yes, it is discrete. The reason I changed from my Nextbase 412 to the 380 was the smaller and solid mount.

You've got me on the second camera, mine was just single channel with no sockets for any other camera and mine was 30fps max. have they upgraded it ?

Just looked at the Nextbase online manual and that only has 30fps max !

Puzzled

Nope 1080 60fps without rear camera

with rear camera 1080 30 FPS front and 720 p rear which surprisingly is excellent - I get all the numbers.

Ah, just looked it up, you have the 380GWX. I only had the 380GW.

£350 !!!!!!!

That's even more expensive than the Blackvue 2CH and I thought that was the most expensive.

My V3 was only £100 with CPL

Dude you will get your car broken into for a blackvue. Blackvue 4K front and rear is £550 with installation and to get the cloud features, you need LtE module and their own battery which brings the cost to £900

Lexus recommended this camera, they installed it professionally, my comparison benchmark is a GoPro Hero Black 7 which I use for recording bad drivers while cycling in 2k 60fps

by that comparison, this 380 is really good.
As I said, it puts no strain on my car battery or the hybrid system: it’s internal battery is sufficient for parking mode. And I really like that next base have put a temperature sensor for the battery such that it shuts off and stops charging for hot temp. And it’s very unlikely, from my GoPro experience that 1080p recording will heat anything or put strain. Where’s 4K definitely does while 2k continuous > 1hr will also get any camera hot.

Last edited:
Is this forum run by the Chinese? Why was my comment regarding how Chinese cameras save data on servers that give full access to Chinese government removed?

I am deleting my account. For all the rest, don’t believe a word on this forum. They are censoring legitimate concerns about Chinese dashcams!!!!

This forum is run by a very level-minded and quuite tolerant Canadian who has more and longer experience with dashcams than the vast majority of us do. Being an international forum, no xenophobic or racist posts are allowed- a standard which is very good and should be applied everywhere to everyone. If someone's post gets pulled or edited here they've gone way too far past the limits of common decency or it wouldn't happen.

350 quid for a 1080p/720p cam is IMHO rip-off pricing :mad: Even the cheap crappy cams equal or do better than this nowadays and for 1/3 the cost. That level of performance is not yesterday's, it's from 5 years ago :cautious:

Oh well, people can and do buy what they want- their money and their choice.

Phil

Back