3CH vs (2CH + 1CH)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 73221
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 73221

I want to record the front, rear, and interior. Most dash cams are 2CH so when I research 3CH my choices are limited. Is there anything wrong with getting a 2CH from one company and a 1CH from another? Is there any advantage in getting a 3CH for this?

p.s. I really liked some mirror cams I saw on youtube such as the VanTop H612T 12” but I've read in many places that people are not recommending mirror cams because of vibrations and quality. Not sure why, the reviews seemed ligit and the quality in the videos looked very good. And many said they had no vibration issues.

Price is not an issue but as any wise person, I would rather not pay for features I don't need. So here are some things that are important and some that are not:

Things that are important to me:

1. Interior cam field of view should be wide enough to see at least most of the front side windows, to be able to capture encounters with law enforcement. (Or at least have the option to easily turn the lens to either window, as I've seen on some cams)
2. Front and Rear cams should be nice and wide (160? 170?) but not so much that it creates a fish-eye effect. I feel that 140 is a little narrow.
3. Color should be decent. I've seen high-end cams that the interior has a purple haze to it.
4. I don't need 4K but would like higher than 1080, like QHD (2560x1440)
5. Built-in GPS so that your speed is hardcoded into the video feed (and not just seen on an app)
6. Good parking mode (I don't mind paying extra for a correct voltage hardwire kit and\or backup battery pack)
7. Not too bulky (There are some states that might have issues if your dashcam blocks some of your windshield view.)
8. Audio should be decent (don't need broadcast quality but should be clear enough to be admissible in court.)
9. NH doesn't get as hot as Arizona but I'd like to not have to worry about hot summer days.
10. Rear cam should be adjustable in case the back window is slanted - I don't need to record flying airplanes - but rather the road.

Things that are NOT important to me:

1. I don't care about apps (unless the cam doesn't have a screen to playback video on the spot)
2. I don't need cloud storage
3. I don't need voice activating features
4. I don't need it to be waterproof as I will be installing all cams inside the car.

Thanks, guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Viofo A139 will do what you request nicely. It is possible to find positives and negatives of 3x 1ch, 2ch+1ch, 3ch, but to use, the single A139 is very nice. Biggest issue of having 3 is that it is hard to collect all the files and then synchronise the video, and for evidence purposes you do want video synchronised since the timing can be important.

3. Color should be decent. I've seen high-end cams that the interior has a purple haze to it.
That is due to the interior being an IR camera so that it can record inside at night. During the day it can see some IR light from outside, depending on the quality of the IR filtering in your window glass, and if you have a window open. Some cameras have an IR filter that removes itself at night, but having used both styles, I'm quite happy with some things turning a bit purple if the windows are open during daylight, and also quite happy not to have an IR filter making a clicking noise when it switches on/off.

Thanks. I've watched a bunch of videos on the Viofo A139 and something must have disappointed me can't remember what - I'll go watch again.
I've been a professional video editor for 16 years so I have no problem syncing footage from multiple cams :-)

A few of my A139 videos.

My editing software have multi cam sync, and it is fairly easy to use, but after having used several single cameras in my car for many years, as soon as dual channel became viable i jumped on those.
edited footage might be a problem in a court in the US at least where i understand there is a chance of ending up there, in Denmark i cant recall ever hearing about anything traffic related and normal ( no dead people ) going to court.

Thanks. I've watched a bunch of videos on the Viofo A139 and something must have disappointed me can't remember what - I'll go watch again.
I've been a professional video editor for 16 years so I have no problem syncing footage from multiple cams :)
When you work out what, let us know and we will tell you if you are correct to be disappointed or not...
There are some new reviews appeared recently.

"1. Interior cam field of view should be wide enough to see at least most of the front side windows, to be able to capture encounters with law enforcement. (Or at least have the option to easily turn the lens to either window, as I've seen on some cams)"
This depends on how far forward the glass is in your vehicle, in mine it is a bit far back, so I have pointed the internal camera towards the drivers door, gets an excellent image of the driver's window, but of course doesn't do the passenger side.

A few of my A139 videos.

My editing software have multi cam sync, and it is fairly easy to use, but after having used several single cameras in my car for many years, as soon as dual channel became viable i jumped on those.
edited footage might be a problem in a court in the US at least where i understand there is a chance of ending up there, in Denmark i cant recall ever hearing about anything traffic related and normal ( no dead people ) going to court.
At first, I was surprised that you were going 82! But then I saw it was set to kph and not mph :) Great footage and showing capturing of license plates. Haven't seen that on Youtube. Everyone just writes not to expect capturing clear license plates on ANY dashcam but you showed them otherwise!

The Viofo A139 will do what you request nicely. It is possible to find positives and negatives of 3x 1ch, 2ch+1ch, 3ch, but to use, the single A139 is very nice. Biggest issue of having 3 is that it is hard to collect all the files and then synchronise the video, and for evidence purposes you do want video synchronised since the timing can be important.

That is due to the interior being an IR camera so that it can record inside at night. During the day it can see some IR light from outside, depending on the quality of the IR filtering in your window glass, and if you have a window open. Some cameras have an IR filter that removes itself at night, but having used both styles, I'm quite happy with some things turning a bit purple if the windows are open during daylight, and also quite happy not to have an IR filter making a clicking noise when it switches on/off.
Yes, I guess if a cam doesn't have options for color settings, I can always mount an ND filter to correct that, as we do with DSLR cams.

Yeah. you just have to take into account that EU plates are 25% if not larger than a US plate, and cars must have one in each end, doubling your chance for a plate capture if you have a dual system.
You should also not focus too much on plate capture, if you do any camera will be a let down for you, it is really just a nice perk to have, and hopefully if you need it you are lucky.
This rainy day was also right on the limit for 80 km/h - 55 MPH highway speeds.

The dashcams will not give you cinematic footage, for that they are tuned wrong, and not to mention the very basic bitrates only 1/5 of what my Osmo action camera can do in 4K/60

Regarding filters you probably also want a CPL filter on there to deal with dashboard reflections in the windscreen, but you can get those with ND filters too, but you will then have to DIY some form of mount as dashcams are generally not standard diameter for filters.

Regarding filters you probably also want a CPL filter on there to deal with dashboard reflections in the windscreen, but you can get those with ND filters too,
I didn't mention the CPL filter because I read it comes included with the A139.

Indeed, at least with the test sample i received, IMO they should be standard, if you dont need one you are damn lucky or have a black dashmat draped over your dash.

I look upon dashcams as a accident recorder, one that 100% document my own driving no matter the conditions or time of the day, so with it i can refute most claims made against me, and as a bonus i capture some other stuff too.
And so i am always happy with what my cameras do for me.
With 360 coverage as i have in my car ( well at least if people are not right up against the car ) i get even more chances of a capture, though it is very rare i go for footage on the side or rear cameras, and if i do it is mostly for B-roll footage leading up to the WFT moment captured on the front camera.

Last edited:
Back