3M Dual Lock for mounting Viofo A119 V3 GPS mount

Privateer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
RoadHawk DC3 (x1), RoadHawk HD2 (x3)
I heard of 3M's Dual Lock in another thread of this forum and I have a couple of questions relating to applying it to the windscreen and the GPS mount of a Viofo A119 V3:

1. Will the double layer of Dual Lock affect the GPS mount's ability to pick up and keep a GPS satellite fix?
  2. The removeable tape is white, but is the Dual Lock black on both sides? I'd rather it was black so that it's not so noticeable on the windscreen.

Many thanks,

Dual Lock Tape should have zero effect on the performance of the GPS.

At one time Dual Lock Tape was made with black adhesive so it was ideal for mounting dash cams on a windshield. Unfortunately, 3M switched to using white adhesive backing for some unknown reason but I suspect it may have been because many people use it to mount white toll transponders on windshields. There is a clear version of Dual Lock available which you may find to be more stealthy than the white stuff.

Back a few years ago when 3M switched to white adhesive backing on their Dual Lock products I found a store that still offered the all black stuff and bought myself a stash. That proved to be a good move as it's come in pretty handy a few times.

1. Will the double layer of Dual Lock affect the GPS mount's ability to pick up and keep a GPS satellite fix?
  2. The removeable tape is white, but is the Dual Lock black on both sides? I'd rather it was black so that it's not so noticeable on the windscreen.

I use the dual lock for my SG GPS units with no problem.

The current version of the 'low profile' has black adhesive - less holding power but way more that what's needed for the GPS unit. As mentioned, if you can't find that they do make a 'clear' version but it's still visible from the outside, just not as much as the white.

Another option would be to try Command picture hanging strips which are available in black. They function similarly to Dual Lock. Several members here on DCT have reported success using them to mount dash cams. Two or three strips side by side should do the trick.

command_black.jpg

Last edited:
Dual Lock Tape should have zero effect on the performance of the GPS.
I use the dual lock for my SG GPS units with no problem.
Thank you to Dashmellow and DT MI for both confirming that 3M Dual Lock will have no effect on the unit receiving GPS signals.

At one time Dual Lock Tape was made with black adhesive so it was ideal for mounting dash cams on a windshield. Unfortunately, 3M switched to using white adhesive backing for some unknown reason but I suspect it may have been because many people use it to mount white toll transponders on windshields. There is a clear version of Dual Lock available which you may find to be more stealthy than the white stuff.
Dashmellow many thanks for that. I thought that I'd take a gamble and so I ordered some Dual Lock from Amazon UK, I ordered 3M Dual Lock SJ354B (25 mm x 2.5 m) as I looked closely at the item's pictures and whilst there is a white peel-off backing tape, the rest of the Dual Lock is black with black adhesive, so it's ideal for mounting dashcams on the inside of the windscreen.

The 3M Dual Lock SJ354B arrived this morning and I can confirm that it's totally black once the white backing tape has been removed. Also, the Viofo A119 V3 GPS Mount is 35 mm wide so at 25 mm wide the Dual Lock tape has a safe margin of 5 mm either side for a neat application.

I will initially try mounting the Viofo A119 V3 with its original tape first but probably move over to Dual Lock quite soon as it will allow me to move the Viofo A119 V3 to other vehicles, whilst still having GPS Data - which you don't get with the Viofo suction cup mount.

Another option would be to try Command picture hanging strips which are available in black
Thanks, although I have now received the Dual Lock, that is an alternative that others may find useful.

Regards,

Last edited:
The 3M Dual Lock SJ354B arrived this morning and I can confirm that it's totally black once the white backing tape has been removed.

I'm really pleased to hear that you found this product available on Amazon. I've been aware that 3M still makes a number of versions of Dual Lock tape with all black adhesive but I was under the impression that they only come in commercial/industrial quantities such as 25 yard and 50 yard rolls rather than in consumer packaging such as strips or smaller rolls. Can you post a link to the product you purchased? I'm curious because I don't see product number SJ354(B) listed in the 3M Dual Lock Tape brochure, or product page.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have done that. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07798C527
Regards,

Thanks! It seems that particular item may be part of a newer professional line that is part of the 3M SJ3540 Dual Lock product family which is not yet in their online brochure or on the product page I linked. Glad to see it available with the black adhesive and especially in a quantity more practical for our typical uses! Apparently with product # SJ354B, "B" designates black adhesive.

Last edited:
I was wondering what dual lock was, in the UK we call it Velcro tape.

Oh right, didn’t know that.

Velcro is considered a "light duty" fastener. That's why it is often used on such things as clothing and outerwear.
It uses a "hook & loop"system where tiny plastic hooks cling to a carpet of looped fabric.

hook&loop.jpg

Dual Lock Tape is a "heavy duty" fastener which is sometimes used in place of screws or bolts such as attaching large access panels to industrial equipment or ceiling tiles in buses or aircraft. It uses "mushroom" shaped interlocking plastic nubs.
It has many more times the holding power of Velcro and it is very solid once attached so it won't wobble like Velcro sometimes can.

dual_lock.jpg

duallock.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have now mounted the Viofo A119 V3 in my vehicle. Here's what I think to it, please forgive me for quoting myself to my original questions as I now can answer the questions myself - should anybody else wish to use Dual Lock:

Will the double layer of Dual Lock affect the GPS mount's ability to pick up and keep a GPS satellite fix?
No, not at all. The double layer of Dual Lock does not affect the GPS mount's ability to pick up and keep a GPS satellite fix. The Viofo A119 V3 was getting a cold GPS satellite fix in under 30 seconds and a warm GPS satellite fix in under 5 seconds.
The removeable tape is white, but is the Dual Lock black on both sides? I'd rather it was black so that it's not so noticeable on the windscreen.
The 3M Dual Lock SJ354B (25 mm x 2.5 m) that I ordered from Amazon UK is black on both sides. When stuck onto the windscreen, with or without the Viofo A119 V3 and its GPS Mount, the 3M Dual Lock is hardly noticeable and you won't see it unless you are actually looking for it. So 3M Dual Lock is very good for an inconspicuous mount.

One thing that I have noticed with the 3M Dual Lock system is that there is some amount of 'play' between the two sides of Dual Lock, i.e. when suspended from the windscreen the whole dashcam can be pushed/squeezed 1 to 2 mm towards the windscreen. This is because of the design of the 'mushroom' shaped interlocking plastic nubs. This is noticeable when pressing a button on the Viofo A119 V3 whilst it's recording. However, when left alone the 3M Dual Lock system does provide a stable and solid mounting solution for a dashcam.

I definitely recommend using the 3M Dual Lock system for your dashcam, especially if you want to easily swap your dashcam to other vehicles.

Regards,

One thing that I have noticed with the 3M Dual Lock system is that there is some amount of 'play' between the two sides of Dual Lock, i.e. when suspended from the windscreen the whole dashcam can be pushed/squeezed 1 to 2 mm towards the windscreen. This is because of the design of the 'mushroom' shaped interlocking plastic nubs. This is noticeable when pressing a button on the Viofo A119 V3 whilst it's recording. However, when left alone the 3M Dual Lock system does provide a stable and solid mounting solution for a dashcam.

Regards,

Personally, I've never really had any noticable issue with "play" between the two side of Dual Lock. It is far more secure and stable than any type of Velcro I've used including the Industrial Strength Heavy Duty type.

Which type of Dual Lock tape did you buy? There are three basic types....Type 250, Type 170, and Type 400. I wonder if that makes a difference in what you experienced?

dual_lock_types.jpg

Interestingly, you can combine the different stem count types for different effects.

dual_lock_combinations.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dashmellow,

Wow, you really know your Dual Lock tape! :)

Personally, I've never really had any noticable issue with "play" between the two sides of Dual Lock. It is far more secure and stable than any type of Velcro I've used including the "Extreme" type.
It's not a problem - it's just something that I noticed and thought that it's worth mentioning. There's no side-to-side nor up-and-down movement at all, just the slight 1 to 2 mm into and away-from the windscreen. As I said, it doesn't affect the camera at all when you're not pressing the buttons.

Which type of Dual Lock tape did you buy? There are three basic types....Type 250, Type 170, and Type 400. I wonder if that makes a difference in what you experienced?
I bought the 3M Dual Lock SJ354B (25 mm x 2.5 m) Dual Lock, which doesn't state its type on the packaging. However, thanks to your above post i.e. the "Dual Lock type spotters guide, I think that SJ354B is a Type 250 because it has the stems in a wave pattern.

According to the 3M Dual Lock stem count (i.e. type) combination list, 250 to 250 is the recommended combination.

Regards,

It’s so funny that I came across this thread.
Lots of good information.

I’ve been using the ‘duel lock’ fasteners for some time now. For anything that I’ve mounted in the car, that comes with a sticky adhesive back, I’ll usually remove the adhesive, and replace it with duel lock fastener.

One of the main attractions to me, for the duel lock fasteners, is that I’m able to remove them from the car.

Unfortunately, society is filled with people who will steal given the opportunity, and using the duel lock fasteners allow me to remove items to stow in a more secure area.

Hi Dashmellow,

Well, I've been using a version of this product for quite a long time, long before Dual Lock Tape ever existed and so this is the reason I've followed the development of this stuff with great interest. As a photographer I began using what at the time was known as Photo-Lok tape, which was an essentially identical predecessor version of what Dual Lock tape is today. Back in those days, several decades ago, Photo-Lok tape was an indispensable tool in the studio and on location that no other product could match. Photo-Lok was pretty expensive back in those days but when it first disappeared from the market a lot of photographers were freaking out. Anyway, it was invented by a man named Stan Weinberg who founded the Wein Products Corporation in Los Angeles, California. At one time Wein Products specialized exclusively in unique products for the photographic industry such as flash meters, syncs, remote triggers and other innovative items that were prized by professionals but now focuses primarily on air purifier products and pollution free replacements for mercury batteries. Stan Weinburg is an award winning scientist, engineer and inventor who is credited with a vast number of inventions and patents.

As far as I can tell, although I am only speculating, Stan Weinberg likely sold the patent for Photo-Lok to the 3M Corporation (formerly known as the
Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, hence "3M"). Apparently, they've continued to develop and improve the product and after acquiring the original patent they switched to using their own unique adhesives which is one of their areas of expertise.

Plok.jpg

Photo-Lok Tape
photolock.png

Last edited:
Hi Dashmellow,

It's not a problem - it's just something that I noticed and thought that it's worth mentioning. There's no side-to-side nor up-and-down movement at all, just the slight 1 to 2 mm into and away-from the windscreen. As I said, it doesn't affect the camera at all when you're not pressing the buttons.

I bought the 3M Dual Lock SJ354B (25 mm x 2.5 m) Dual Lock, which doesn't state its type on the packaging. However, thanks to your above post i.e. the "Dual Lock type spotters guide, I think that SJ354B is a Type 250 because it has the stems in a wave pattern.

According to the 3M Dual Lock stem count (i.e. type) combination list, 250 to 250 is the recommended combination.

Regards,

With Type 250 you should be all set! As you've noticed, any play that manifests when pressing on the tape shouldn't be at all an issue when your dash cam is in regular use. :)

It’s so funny that I came across this thread.
Lots of good information.

I’ve been using the ‘duel lock’ fasteners for some time now. For anything that I’ve mounted in the car, that comes with a sticky adhesive back, I’ll usually remove the adhesive, and replace it with duel lock fastener.

One of the main attractions to me, for the duel lock fasteners, is that I’m able to remove them from the car.

Unfortunately, society is filled with people who will steal given the opportunity, and using the duel lock fasteners allow me to remove items to stow in a more secure area.

Yeah, quite a few of us DCT members have used Dual-Lock this way for mounting dash cams for many years now. I've even made a "hat cam" mounting a Mobius camera to the brim of a baseball cap. It works great to temporarily mount the camera securely. I used Dual Lock on the top of the brim and on the bottom so I can mount the cam in different ways.

Last edited:
Back