3M Dual Lock for mounting Viofo A119 V3 GPS mount

Is the clear the same as the white mentioned above?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07QNMBB28
Vs the black:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B007OXK1AK

Just to clarify, the "white" mentioned above was a reference to the color of the adhesive backing that now comes on most consumer versions of the black Dual-Lock tape.

The "clear" is the color of the plastic itself (and the adhesive layer as well) on a version of Dual-Lock tape vs the black stuff. Note the term "clear" used in the description of the product you linked.

Both the black and clear Dual-Lock products you linked are essentially the same although they are different product numbers. They can be used interchangeably.

How easy is it to remove the dual lock tape from the windshield vs removing the GPS mount using the included adhesive mount?

Is the adhesive mount re-usable if you need to move it to a new vehicle? Or do you need to replace the factory adhesive with some fresh DS tape?

And in that line of thought, is the dual lock 250/250 tape easy to remove from the windshield? How well does it hold up to a hot sun/hot interior? Do you apply it over the factory adhesive on the GPS logger mount?

What size of dual lock tape is needed? Is the inch wide (2.5cm) tape sufficient for the GPS mount for both the windshield and the GPS side of the mount? Or does it need more than that to hold it securely?... say, 3 x 1/2 inch wide strips? I'm not sure how wide the GPS logger mount is and haven't seen any specs on it.

How easy is it to remove the dual lock tape from the windshield vs removing the GPS mount using the included adhesive mount?
Sorry, I don't know. I'm going to guess that as it's 3M the Dual Lock would be relatively easy to remove from the windscreen, either by pulling at a corner or using some thin strong string or fishing line. I presume that both Dual Lock and the included adhesive mount would require the same amount of effort to remove.

Is the adhesive mount re-usable if you need to move it to a new vehicle? Or do you need to replace the factory adhesive with some fresh DS tape?
No, the adhesive mount is not re-usable, that's why you get extra pads included with the dashcam.

If you need to move to another vehicle, just cut some more Dual Lock and place on the windscreen of the new vehicle. That way you can swap the dashcam between vehicles.

And in that line of thought, is the dual lock 250/250 tape easy to remove from the windshield? How well does it hold up to a hot sun/hot interior? Do you apply it over the factory adhesive on the GPS logger mount?
No, I removed the factory adhesive on the GPS logger mount before I stuck the Dual Lock onto it.

I believe, from what I've heard from other people on this forum that Dual Lock should cope with a hot interior. Looking at the website it'll cope with a range of -30°C to +70°C long-term (+95°C short-term).

What size of dual lock tape is needed? Is the inch wide (2.5cm) tape sufficient for the GPS mount for both the windshield and the GPS side of the mount? Or does it need more than that to hold it securely?... say, 3 x 1/2 inch wide strips? I'm not sure how wide the GPS logger mount is and haven't seen any specs on it.
IIRC the A119 V3 GPS mount is 45 mm wide and I'm pretty sure that I cut two strips of Dual Lock tape 40 mm long, one for the GPS Mount and one for the windscreen.

Regards,

Sorry, I don't know. I'm going to guess that as it's 3M the Dual Lock would be relatively easy to remove from the windscreen, either by pulling at a corner or using some thin strong string or fishing line. I presume that both Dual Lock and the included adhesive mount would require the same amount of effort to remove.

No, the adhesive mount is not re-usable, that's why you get extra pads included with the dashcam.

If you need to move to another vehicle, just cut some more Dual Lock and place on the windscreen of the new vehicle. That way you can swap the dashcam between vehicles.

No, I removed the factory adhesive on the GPS logger mount before I stuck the Dual Lock onto it.

I believe, from what I've heard from other people on this forum that Dual Lock should cope with a hot interior. Looking at the website it'll cope with a range of -30°C to +70°C long-term (+95°C short-term).

IIRC the A119 V3 GPS mount is 45 mm wide and I'm pretty sure that I cut two strips of Dual Lock tape 40 mm long, one for the GPS Mount and one for the windscreen.

Regards,
Thanks for that great info! What width DL tape did you use? I think I've seen 1/2 inch and 1 inch wide DL tape.

Thanks for that great info! What width DL tape did you use? I think I've seen 1/2 inch and 1 inch wide DL tape.
The Dual Lock (that I bought from Amazon UK) was 3M SJ354B Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener, 25 mm x 2.5 m, Black which is 25 mm wide (approximately ½ inch) and 2.5 meters long.

Once you've used Dual Lock for your dashcam, you will find other uses for Dual Lock.

NB Although the above item is for 2.5 metres, don't forget that you need to account for tape for both sides, so in the case of a dashcam, you need 80 mm (40 mm for the dashcam and 40 mm for the windscreen). Velcro has two separate sides "hook" and "loop" which work together as hook/loop but won't as either hook/hook or loop/loop. Dual Lock has just one side "mushroom" which can be used on itself mushroom/mushroom.

Regards,

Last edited:
How well does it hold up to a hot sun/hot interior?

The ability of Dual Lock tape to withstand high temperatures inside the cabin of one's vehicle will depend upon which particular 3M Dual Lock product you purchase.

3m_dual_lock.jpg

dual_lock2.jpg

Last edited:

There's a reason 3M calls it VHB tape, as it means Very High Bond. Same for Dual Lock. It's not exactly easy to remove the stuff.

For any high strength adhesive dash cam mount (3M VHB) or Dual Lock tape, the best method I've found is to use a thin putty knife. Starting at a corner of the tape work the knife back and forth laterally while applying increasing pressure forward until you begin to work the tool under the tape. Once you get the knife part of the way under the tape (or VHB taped dash cam mounting plate) begin gently twisting the putty knife back and forth, side to side to begin prying it off the glass. Continue this process until you've inserted the knife about half way under the tape or taped object you want to remove and it should then come off completely (but slowly) when you pull it with your other hand. Continue pushing the putty knife forward under the mount as you do so. Also, once you've gotten the putty knife far enough under the tape you can use it as a lever prying upwards, away from the glass. After removing the tape, clean the glass with some alcohol and a clean lint free cloth. I have found this method to be far superior and significantly faster than using string and using a tool with a handle and stiff but flexible blade gives you far more strength and control than a piece of string.

I've been using this method on countless occasions for years using a standard (thin) metal putty knife and have never scratched or damaged the windshield glass. Just be careful and use common sense. If you are paranoid about using a metal knife you can use a plastic putty knife. I've experimented with one I purchased at Walmart for about a dollar. Plastic putty knives can be found at any local hardware store at modest cost. They are also widely available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+putty+knife&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Last edited:
There's a reason 3M calls it VHB tape, as it means Very High Bond. Same for Dual Lock. It's not exactly easy to remove the stuff.

For any high strength adhesive dash cam mount (3M VHB) or Dual Lock tape, the best method I've found is to use a thin putty knife. Starting at a corner of the tape work the knife back and forth laterally while applying increasing pressure forward until you begin to work the tool under the tape. Once you get the knife part of the way under the tape (or VHB taped dash cam mounting plate) begin gently twisting the putty knife back and forth, side to side to begin prying it off the glass. Continue this process until you've inserted the knife about half way under the tape or taped object you want to remove and it should then come off completely (but slowly) when you pull it with your other hand. Continue pushing the putty knife forward under the mount as you do so. Also, once you've gotten the putty knife far enough under the tape you can use it as a lever prying upwards, away from the glass. After removing the tape, clean the glass with some alcohol and a clean lint free cloth. I have found this method to be far superior and significantly faster than using string and using a tool with a handle and stiff but flexible blade gives you far more strength and control than a piece of string.

I've been using this method on countless occasions for years using a standard (thin) metal putty knife and have never scratched or damaged the windshield glass. Just be careful and use common sense. If you are paranoid about using a metal knife you can use a plastic putty knife. I've experimented with one I purchased at Walmart for about a dollar. Plastic putty knives can be found at any local hardware store at modest cost. They are also widely available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+putty+knife&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20
Good to know. Does it help to heat it up with a hair dryer? And what if you've applied the tape over the dotted area of the windshield? Does that complicate the removal process?

I've always removed dashcams from the black dot area with a thin putty knife type tool, as mentioned. I just jab at it to get it started then slowly prise it off.

Good to know. Does it help to heat it up with a hair dryer? And what if you've applied the tape over the dotted area of the windshield? Does that complicate the removal process?

I've not usually found it to be necessary, but yes, a hair dryer can help facilitate the removal of high bond tapes like Dual Lock. The best method is to apply heat to the back of the tape from the outside surface of the windshield. Heat up the glass but don't overdo it.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem if you've applied the tape to the frit (the black dotted area). You might have a problem with some tape residue that gets left behind which you can clean up with some rubbing alcohol or some stronger solvent like acetone, Goof Off or Goo Gone. Also, don't worry about using a putty knife on the raised dots of the frit. They are fused to the glass and you can't harm them.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was thinking of using a paint scraper (razor blade). Bet that would work to lift an edge.

Thanks. I was thinking of using a paint scraper (razor blade). Bet that would work to lift an edge.

That might lift the edge but I don't think that will make for the best tool. It will be too flexible a blade, too short and too sharp. Just use a thin bladed putty knife as previously suggested.

Back