3M mount on tinted windows?

Gearhead82

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Powerucc Panorama II, Mini 0801
I'd like to install my Mini 0801 on the rear window of my car, but I have aftermarket window tint on the rear window. Adding some kind of suction mount would defeat the purpose of having a small, discrete camera back there. Has anyone ever mounted a camera to a tinted window using 3M tape? I'm afraid it would damage the tint if I ever have to remove it but I'm not sure.

First if I may ask what car make / model / year do you have ?

I would check with a tint installer but I'll bet hanging anything with tape of any kind is going to damage your tint.

I have a 2013 Honda Accord sedan.

Ok, I see that rear brake light is not at the top / ceiling ?
Otherwise I would recommend Mobius building into rear brake light. Check my DIY project ideas:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-diy-built-in-into-rear-centre-brake-light.2372/

If you have strong tint, then mini 0801 will not be a good choice at night. Without tint its not good at night, but with tint I am afraid it will show very little.
However you can try some easy DIY. Take metal sheet ( like metal ruler ), slide it under ceiling liner in the place where ceiling liner meet rear windows and attach mini 0801 to that metal ruler. DOnt know if I can explain correctly ( bad english ), but hope you understand what I mean.

Ok, I see that rear brake light is not at the top / ceiling ?
Otherwise I would recommend Mobius building into rear brake light. Check my DIY project ideas:

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-diy-built-in-into-rear-centre-brake-light.2372/

If you have strong tint, then mini 0801 will not be a good choice at night. Without tint its not good at night, but with tint I am afraid it will show very little.
However you can try some easy DIY. Take metal sheet ( like metal ruler ), slide it under ceiling liner in the place where ceiling liner meet rear windows and attach mini 0801 to that metal ruler. DOnt know if I can explain correctly ( bad english ), but hope you understand what I mean.
Yes my car only has a small rear brake light at the bottom of the rear window so I don't think I could integrate it like you did with the Mobius.

I can envision exactly what you're talking about sliding a ruler or something under the headliner! That sounds like I good idea. I could probably buy a small sheet of thin aluminum and attach it to the roof under the headliner and then bend/cut it to provide a small mounting pad for the camera. I'm pretty handy so I could probably manage something like that. Thank you for the idea!

Yes it is tinted pretty dark. I know it's not ideal for any camera, especially the 0801, but I have the PanoramaII in the front now and I'm not using the 0801 at all so I figured I might as well use it for something. I think it would work decently during the day, and at night it would at least be able to see headlights and such to give an idea of what happens. I'm sure it won't read plates or anything though.

I am glad you understood my some time poor language :)
After you inntall it, share videos of day and night for others. It might not be that bad at night as originally thought. "never say never" - I am saying to myself ;)

I have tinted windows and I'm sure that it will damage it upon removal, however it did not stop me from putting a Mobius out back using a 3M mount!

Back