3M Tape came off from the plastic side

I'll have to track down some of this tape, too. Mine's separated both from the glass and the camera side (at different times) since we got our first 80 degree day, even though my truck was parked in the shade. Thanks!

I'll have to track down some of this tape, too. Mine's separated both from the glass and the camera side (at different times) since we got our first 80 degree day, even though my truck was parked in the shade. Thanks!

@Street Guardian USA has the replacement tape in stock now, just let them know your details and they'll get it to you

Hello please email or private message me your details, happy to send some.

Hi Street Guardian
I am about to lease a new car and I already used the spare tape on my previous vehicle due to initially mounting it close to the rearview mirror and having to relocate the camera.
Is it possible I can get some spares as well? Thank you.

Hi Street Guardian
I am about to lease a new car and I already used the spare tape on my previous vehicle due to initially mounting it close to the rearview mirror and having to relocate the camera.
Is it possible I can get some spares as well? Thank you.

Hello please email or private message me your details, happy to send some.

Goodness I need this for mine. Multiple times a day I'm pushing the camera back towards the windscreen. It's getting maddening to do it all the time. Will hit bunnings to find this tape. thanks

Goodness I need this for mine. Multiple times a day I'm pushing the camera back towards the windscreen. It's getting maddening to do it all the time. Will hit bunnings to find this tape. thanks

I see you're in Australia, Rick (@jokiin) will send you some of the updated tape

Has the 3M tape type actually been "updated"?....or does it just need to be replaced?

Yes, new batch I'm told. New stuff seems to work great, not sure what happened to a small batch for some. I guess even a big company like 3M can screw up sometimes.

Yes, new batch I'm told. New stuff seems to work great, not sure what happened to a small batch for some. I guess even a big company like 3M can screw up sometimes.

I've had a different take on this. I've assumed there was some level of extraneous flaw or "operator error" such as dust or thin film of grease on the glass or the mount before applying the tape. When I had this problem you sent me some new tape (quite a long time ago - two years? - I forget) I thoroughly cleaned the glass with alcohol then carefully applied the tape. Then, critically, I waited overnight for it to bond properly before attaching the camera and have I've never had any further problems.

From my own experience over the years and watching what sometimes happens with friends it is easy to not bother to clean the glass properly and then not wait for bonding to occur. Then you get problems after awhile, especially on a hot day.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Is this still the same product number 3M tape from a different production run or a new "updated" product?

It could be a combination of things. Some of the mounts might have had outgassing (still curing) when the tape was applied. That was corrected awhile back though.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Is this still the same product number 3M tape from a different production run or a new "updated" product?

different production run, it's not updated as in different model number, we still use the same tape, it's updated as in not from the same batch as prior, we're not 100% certain but we believe there may have been some contaminant that was in one batch of tape we got

different production run, it's not updated as in different model number, we still use the same tape, it's updated as in not from the same batch as prior, we're not 100% certain but we believe there may have been some contaminant that was in one batch of tape we got

Thanks for confirming. The problem I experienced was likely a different issue probably more related to repeated removing, moving and reapply the original mounting plate(s) from the SG9665GC and other cameras/projects. I might have needed to clean the glass better than I did that last time. Then again, who knows? I remember looking up while driving, seeing the camera peeling itself off the windscreen and having to press it back on multiple times. Maybe I got some of that same bad batch early on?

Yours was probably the mount that had outgassing/curing time issues that contaminated the VHB. Cleaning and Applying a new piece was the fix, sounds like you're still all set today even after a long time.

Yours was probably the mount that had outgassing/curing time issues that contaminated the VHB. Cleaning and Applying a new piece was the fix, sounds like you're still all set today even after a long time.

Those last pre-tapped mounting (thin & thick) plates you sent sure did the trick.....and I was extra careful about how I did the install. Thanks again for sending them. :)

Actually, after all the different issues I experienced over time with the different GC units I've had, everything has been five by five for quite some time now, especially after the AE table fix-it finally arrived. The camera has been one of the the only dash cams I've owned other than the Mobius to achieve this level of dependable reliability. Together they've made a great 4 cam system, especially after the GC stopped falling of the windscreen. :joyful: (Not the camera's fault)

Thanks for confirming. The problem I experienced was likely a different issue probably more related to repeated removing, moving and reapply the original mounting plate(s) from the SG9665GC and other cameras/projects. I might have needed to clean the glass better than I did that last time.

once the tape comes off it rarely goes back on well enough

once the tape comes off it rarely goes back on well enough

I agree completely but that's not what I meant. I've done multiple installations of different cameras in more or less the same location within a few inches, including the GC, sometimes at a 3º angle to the left, (or not).
Installing a permanent camera and expecting it to stay put is one thing, whereas repeatedly swapping adhesive mounts in the same place over a period of months is entirely another.

Last edited:
Back