3M Tape came off from the plastic side

The mounts had tape already applied. In my case it stuck to the windshield (my responsibility) well, and I followed all instructions obsessively including the time to wait before putting the cam on it. The adhesive failed on the mount side (factory responsibility). Thankfully SG USA was extremely responsive and got a new batch out to me within hours, along with ordering some spare mounts and such.

Unfortunately it appears the bad tape is still being shipped from amazon. Mine fell off yesterday. @jokiin @Street Guardian USA .... How can i order more?
I just shipped some spares to @Street Guardian USA this week so they'll have them next week so if anyone has this happen and doesn't have a spare tape can just let us know and we can get a replacement out in the post

Unfortunately it appears the bad tape is still being shipped from amazon. Mine fell off yesterday. @jokiin @Street Guardian USA .... How can i order more?

Let me know your name, order number, shipping address, and email. I'll send some out no charge. Send a private message or email

Had a bit of a frustrating experience today when I went out to my truck and found my GC dangling down. My mounting tape failed once again. :( It was frustrating because I was in a hurry and didn't have time to deal with something like this at the moment. Fortunately, I was able to simply press the camera back into place and it held. (I expect it to be dangling down again next time I go out to the driveway). Last night and today were pleasantly cool so I can't blame this one on high heat.

Anyway, the tape didn't peel off, it seems to have simply lost adhesion all at once and broken free. The tape is still very securely attached to the glass but the tape failed to stay attached to the mounting plate.

This was the replacement tape @Street Guardian USA sent me quite a long time ago and it's been perfectly secure for maybe a year or more. Can't quite remember...need to look through old PMs or emails to find when Jon sent it. This issue seems to be more intractable than I thought.

gc_tape-fail.jpg

Let me know if you need more 3M VHB Tape, happy to send some of the latest batch that seems to be better than any of the previous stuff we've used.

Let me know if you need more 3M VHB Tape, happy to send some of the latest batch that seems to be better than any of the previous stuff we've used.

BTW, What you actually sent me back then was a complete thick (and thin) mount with the 3M tape pre-attached. It has a honey comb structure that the tape gets attached to which seems to contribute to the failed adhesive because it limits how much tape has a surface to adhere to. Are the mounting plates still molded with the honeycomb design?

Last edited:
We no longer use the honeycomb design. I'll send you one of the new wedge shaped thick brackets. I sent an email for you to confirm your shipping address. I switched systems and wanted to confirm it's the same.

We no longer use the honeycomb design. I'll send you one of the new wedge shaped thick brackets. I sent an email for you to confirm your shipping address. I switched systems and wanted to confirm it's the same.

OK thanks! Glad I asked. The honeycomb was the first thing I noticed when I examined the dangling camera today.

It has a honey comb structure that the tape gets attached to which seems to contribute to the failed adhesive because it limits how much tape has a surface to attach to.

yep definitely a contributing factor, we changed the design because of that exact issue, it had been updated once but still not good enough so had to be redone again

jokiin let me know when you have mounting tape you're happy with so I can purchase a few. I have this annoyance every day with my SG.

Message me your address details and I'll put some in the post for you
Actually I have no idea how to send DM's on this with this forum software. I'll use the contact form on your website.

I had the very same problem a couple of weeks ago, with both adhesives included in the box and @Street Guardian USA sent me some more. The bad thing is that they are the light greyish type, not the black one. The good thing is that it has stayed in place since then.

Is there any chance to get a new good proven batch of the black ones?

I had the very same problem a couple of weeks ago, with both adhesives included in the box and @Street Guardian USA sent me some more. The bad thing is that they are the light greyish type, not the black one. The good thing is that it has stayed in place since then.

Is there any chance to get a new good proven batch of the black ones?

I'm not sure how you ended up with light grey stuff, maybe I pulled the wrong ones from the bag in my bin here. I actually just ran out of the new stuff, but Rick is shipping more soon. I can send more it's no problem. (only $1.50 international USPS First Class letter/envelope, I'll cover it)

I'm not sure how you ended up with light grey stuff, maybe I pulled the wrong ones from the bag in my bin here. I actually just ran out of the new stuff, but Rick is shipping more soon. I can send more it's no problem. (only $1.50 international USPS First Class letter/envelope, I'll cover it)

Yeah that would be great. Please PM me when you have those available

Back