3M Tape came off from the plastic side

Actually I have no idea how to send DM's on this with this forum software. I'll use the contact form on your website.

If you get stuck (pun unintended) again RedSeal, use this tape from Bunnings, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

sticks like... LOL I didn't know that one.
One learns every day. Not always very useful but...

I don't know what you sent me @Street Guardian USA but I went out to my truck just now and my SG9665GC was peeling off my windshield. The 3M VHB tape was coming off both the plastic mounting plate and the windshield glass. At least the last mounts you sent lasted over a year with no problems but these only made it 5 days before failing. :(

I don't know what you sent me @Street Guardian USA but I went out to my truck just now and my SG9665GC was peeling off my windshield. The 3M VHB tape was coming off both the plastic mounting plate and the windshield glass. At least the last mounts you sent lasted over a year with no problems but these only made it 5 days before failing. :(

that seems odd, I know you would have cleaned it first but what did you clean it with and was it warm or cool when you applied the tape?

I'm pretty sure I sent the latest stuff. It should a very dark grey (rather then jet black) I sent out quit a bit of this new stuff and don't have any other reports of it failing. Should I send more?

that seems odd, I know you would have cleaned it first but what did you clean it with and was it warm or cool when you applied the tape?

I did a VERY thorough cleaning job, In fact, as I mentioned to @Street Guardian USA when I sent him a thank you note, I used the opportunity to clean the glass inside and outside. Also, left the camera unmounted overnight until the tape bonded (or so I thought) What is curious is that the tape is failing on the mount AND the glass. The mounting plates came with the tape pre-attached so that part was out of my control. The weather here has been lovely lately...in the mid 70's F.

I did a VERY thorough cleaning job, In fact, as I mentioned to @Street Guardian USA when I sent him a thank you note, I used the opportunity to clean the glass inside and outside. Also, left the camera unmounted overnight until the tape bonded (or so I thought) What is curious is that the tape is failing on the mount AND the glass. The mounting plates came with the tape pre-attached so that part was out of my control. The weather here has been lovely lately...in the mid 70's F.

ok, this was the updated mount not just the tape if I recall correctly, that makes more sense now, some of those have the affected tape on them, Jon has some updated tape on the way to you now

ok, this was the updated mount not just the tape if I recall correctly, that makes more sense now, some of those have the affected tape on them, Jon has some updated tape on the way to you now

That's a good point, don't use the tape that was on the spare mounts. Only use the spare stand alone tape (ready to peal off wax-paper backing) and re-stick to the mount. You might as well rough up the mount side before you the apply tape just to give it some extra hold as well. (enen though it should be fine)

I had another odd issue. Luckily I still had an older EVA foam pad I could use. I was going to mount it on the camera directly because the new mount has a plastic grid pattern on the back rather that the adhesive side, except that the die cut hole for the bracket is not the right size to work like that and still leave room to for the mount to function properly. So instead I put the EVA foam on the mounting plate like I did previously with the old mounts. Of course, there is not much area for the foam adhesive to make contact and bond so I got this:

eva.JPG

Are the new EVA foam pieces cut differently 0r made differently?

BTW, this was yesterday morning and the mount was quite secure.

Last edited:

Thanks for the explanation. This is making some sense now.

I had another odd issue. Luckily I still had an older EVA foam pad I could use. I was going to mount it on the camera directly because the new mount has a plastic grid pattern on the back rather that the adhesive side, except that the die cut hole for the bracket are not the right size to work like that and still leave room to for the mount to function properly. So instead I put the EVA foam on the mounting plate like I did previously with the old mounts. Of course, there is not much area for the foam adhesive to make contact and bond so I got this:

yeah for this mount it is better to mount the EVA to the camera rather than than the mount, it will need a bit of a trim with an exacto knife after you apply it though as it's really intended for the thin mount so isn't cut to suit this particular application

That's a good point, don't use the tape that was on the spare mounts. Only use the spare stand alone tape (ready to peal off wax-paper backing) and re-stick to the mount. You might as well rough up the mount side before you the apply tape just to give it some extra hold as well. (enen though it should be fine)

OK, I'll try that. Roughing up the plastic with some sandpaper sounds like a good idea.

Also, I guess I'll need a new piece or two of EVA if you wouldn't mind. :)

OK, I'll try that. Roughing up the plastic with some sandpaper sounds like a good idea.

Also, I guess I'll need a new piece or two of EVA if you wouldn't mind. :)

I'm way ahead of you, already included EVA Foam as well ;) (see shipment confirmation email)

Back