3M Tape came off from the plastic side

I thought I might post this photo because it is interesting to see exactly how the 3M tape failed. Overnight, it peeled off very cleanly from the glass and the plastic plate as if it barely had any bond in places.
This is what it looks like with EVA foam removed.
mount2.jpg

Last edited:
bit of super glue, she'll be right.

bit of super glue, she'll be right.

don't use super glue anywhere near a camera, the vapour from it ends up as a foggy residue that gets all over everything

a bit of glue on the mount prior to putting the adhesive on the mount can help though, it acts like a bonding agent if you use the right type of glue

don't use super glue anywhere near a camera, the vapour from it ends up as a foggy residue that gets all over everything

a bit of glue on the mount prior to putting the adhesive on the mount can help though, it acts like a bonding agent if you use the right type of glue

Yeah, superglue anywhere on or near a camera is dumb. Just needs some fresh VHB tape.

Yeah, superglue anywhere on or near a camera is dumb. Just needs some fresh VHB tape.

I'm sure I didn't need to point that out for you, was more for anyone else that might come along that has a mount that has come off so they don't end up using superglue

I'm sure I didn't need to point that out for you, was more for anyone else that might come along that has a mount that has come off so they don't end up using superglue

I didn't think your comment was directed at me. I was basically just echoing what you were saying. Wouldn't think it too smart to apply superglue to your windshield glass either. :wacky:

i wouldnt either, just in a dumb mood.

i guess so, theres all sorts out there.

i guess so, theres all sorts out there.

"All sorts"? A lot of people, some with very little experience, come to DCT looking for help and advice. These folks don't need snide, mocking suggestions that might induce them to damage their cameras.

Last edited:
I needed to get my camera securely installed until the die cut 3M replacement tape from @Street Guardian USA arrives so I went looking through my stuff to see what else I have around in the meantime. I have an original V1 unused thin mounting plate with tape and some spare GPS mounting tape. Comparing the adhesives with the tape that came on the one that recently failed it became apparent that it isn't just a "bad batch", it's a different tape type altogether. It's a grey foam tape rather that usually supplied black. Either it's a different 3M product or perhaps a counterfeit that found its way into the Street Guardian production. Luckily, I have a roll of black 5952 I keep around for just this kind of situation.

Notice the color.

mount2.jpg

Last edited:
FWI, my new SC separated from the plastic mount the same way as the original posted noted in late April. Only a week old, but not sure how long it had been in the inventory of my seller before it was shipped to me. Had some spare 3M tape and reapplied it to the mount. Should be okay now.

FWI, my new SC separated from the plastic mount the same way as the original posted noted in late April. Only a week old, but not sure how long it had been in the inventory of my seller before it was shipped to me. Had some spare 3M tape and reapplied it to the mount. Should be okay now.

it would have been from the same production batch as the tape problem was never noted until well after everything had shipped, if you do find you need more tape at anytime, no matter how far down the track that may be, just get in touch and we'll get some out to you

Standing by to help if you need more.

@jokiin and @Street Guardian USA, what do you make of the color of the tape in my photo? It's definitely a different tape product, authentic or not.

As I said the new "good" stuff is a dark grey (not like the old light grey stuff from 2014) For what ever reason, the super-black VHB tape doesn't hold up well. It's more important to keep the camera from falling off so this new tape was chosen.

As I said the new "good" stuff is a dark grey (not like the old light grey stuff from 2014) For what ever reason, the super-black VHB tape doesn't hold up well. It's more important to keep the camera from falling off so this new tape was chosen.

I get that but the tape has been characterized as a "bad batch" so I was trying to understand what that meant. The "old" stuff that worked just fine on my V1 was essentially black.

@jokiin and @Street Guardian USA, what do you make of the color of the tape in my photo? It's definitely a different tape product, authentic or not.

yeah I noticed it looked different to normal, not something we normally would notice when the red plastic is still on as they don't look different from just the small bit you see from the side profile

yeah I noticed it looked different to normal, not something we normally would notice when the red plastic is still on as they don't look different from just the small bit you see from the side profile

I've mentioned that my Dad was a manufacturer. This was what was known as a "supply chain surprise". So count your blessings. It could be so much worse (and more expensive) than replacing some adhesive tapes and mounts. :) It is to your great credit that you support the product on this level.

Back