3M Tape came off from the plastic side

Yep, one hot day and mine is detaching again. This after a recent replacement. Ahh!!!

There has to be a solution to this.

What really doesn't help is the units design. The buttons on the bottom counter-lever the unit if pressed with too much force.

Yep, one hot day and mine is detaching again. This after a recent replacement. Ahh!!!

this has been a frustrating issue, have you got more tape on hand? Let me know if not and I'll send you some today

we've found a smear of glue (not superglue) on the plastic before applying the tape seems to sort things out, normally we'd use an adhesion promoter which acts like a primer which is applied to plastics that stops anything from the plastic leaching into the adhesive surface, a thin smear of glue has the same effect, something like a contact adhesive, Tarzans grip etc

There has to be a solution to this.
this has been a frustrating issue, have you got more tape on hand? Let me know if not and I'll send you some today

we've found a smear of glue (not superglue) on the plastic before applying the tape seems to sort things out, normally we'd use an adhesion promoter which acts like a primer which is applied to plastics that stops anything from the plastic leaching into the adhesive surface, a thin smear of glue has the same effect, something like a contact adhesive, Tarzans grip etc

Yes I have some spares so all good on that front. Will give your method a try. Thank you. :)

I'm not familiar with anything with the brand name Tarzan. Is there a particular type or property of an appropriate glue to use?

for some reason i have never had any issues with mine on any of my cameras and i have never really followed procedure, i just stick it on and hang the camera straight off of it, might wipe the window down first but thats it. been on there for years now, ever fallen off and i take cameras on and off the mounts all the time.

If you have to resort to applying glue to the mount, then what do you do if at some point you want to re-apply 3M tape for moving the camera to a different vehicle or elsewhere like a new windshield? This is not a "fix-it" I think I would opt for. Better for the customer to obtain a roll of some decent quality, genuine 3M tape they know will perform as expected.

blob of silicone, glue it on and let it set over night, will never come off. or will that emit some form of gas and stuff something??

Most consumer grade silicone caulking compounds release acetic acid fumes which can be corrosive.

The glue is not something which can't be taken off again, it's not intended as a permanent solution, just a workaround in the interim

we should have a solution shortly for those that have been affected, more details on that once confirmed

The glue is not something which can't be taken off again, it's not intended as a permanent solution, just a workaround in the interim

we should have a solution shortly for those that have been affected, more details on that once confirmed

I guess so. It really depends on exactly which kind of glue you are recommending. I still think that some aftermarket 3M 5952 tape would be the way to easily resolve the problem and move on for anyone who currently owns a GC and runs into a failed tape issue.

No doubt you're working on a remedy for future production @jokiin . Were you able to find out anything about the words "Reflective Sheeting" written on the back of the yellow release paper I posted a photo of a few days ago?

That the tape and the adhesion promoter used came from two different suppliers and were a mismatch

I see. Interesting.

I'm still trying to understand why the tape that had been in my vehicle for such a long time would fail all of a sudden the way it did. This tape "feels" like some of the counterfeit stuff many of us have run into from time to time. Could fake tape have worked its way into GC production?

We buy from an authorised agent but anything is possible, something that is very hard to determine at times, frustrating but all we can do is fix what's out there already and be more vigilant on the IQC procedures going forward, generally less problems with suppliers if they know you've identified an issue and are actively monitoring what they send you

We buy from an authorised agent but anything is possible, something that is very hard to determine at times, frustrating but all we can do is fix what's out there already and be more vigilant on the IQC procedures going forward, generally less problems with suppliers if they know you've identified an issue and are actively monitoring what they send you

I'm sure eventually you'll get it sorted out.

We won't give up on getting it sorted, one of those annoying things that should never happen but it is what it is, just need to get it done

Back