3rd party sd cards

Jimbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7900 Ace
HI,

I'm new to blackvue having just got the 900X plus 2 ch to replace my aging Lucas camera.
My question is about SD cards and 3rd party ones in particular, I was wondering if you can use these as the blackvue instructions say only use blackvue SD Cards in the camera?
Also any recommendations if you can.

TIA

Jim

Last edited:
Most often a dashcam can work with most relevant memory cards, but blackvue and Thinkware in particular seem to be the odd ones out in this regard.
You should be able to find a few suggestions people have been lucky with in the Blackvue subforums.

When i test cameras ( never those 2 brands ) i find that most memory cards in my test suite will work just fine, but lately i have been a little unlucky in this regard.
First i got a 256GB Adata endurance card that on the face of it should be just fine with R/W speeds at 80 MB/s or more, but so far i had just gotten that to work in 1 dashcam and then my action camera.
At first it was simple it did not work, the brand new card when tested showed read / write speeds well under what they should be, but a full format using SDformatter brought speeds back, and it can take 4K/60 FPS with 100 mbit bitrate in my action camera, but most dashcams that far from hit the card that hard have not worked.

I have since gotten the new white Samsung evo plus, that on paper should also be just fine, but again not much luck in my dashcams.

My latest card is a PNY qrsl8 or something like that, it however seem to be working fine in my Viofo A229 system

In general the trouble maker in memory cards seem to be the controller on the card, even if these things should be standardized and so just work, it is not always the case.

Seem like my memory backed itself into a cornor,,,, again :rolleyes:
I firmly believed that the Sandisk high endurance was carrying a 80MB/s write speed, but it is just 40 MB/s like the MAX endurance.

The high endurance as far as i can remember have worked in any dashcam i have had it in so far.
But i still advise caution and go thru the blackvue forums for actual user experience

Generally i will advice in favor of endurance cards as they do most often have warranty for use in dashcams.
But in all fairness i have used non endurance for many years, and aside for a few unfortunate experiences in the way back days i have gotten good performance and use time out of non endurance cards.
Most car4ds in my test suite are also still non endurance cards

The new PNY card i test dont mention anything about dashcam use but it is recommended for CCTV camera use, and so i assume have warranty for that, and since a dashcam are sort of a CCTV camera in a car i think they are covered too.

This minus a few in use in the car are the bulk of my test suite of cards.
Note the WD purple card which have been good for me, it is the old fast kind, the new QD101 branded ones dont seem so succesfuld for some.

cards.jpg

Seem like my memory backed itself into a cornor,,,, again :rolleyes:
I firmly believed that the Sandisk high endurance was carrying a 80MB/s write speed, but it is just 40 MB/s like the MAX endurance.

The high endurance as far as i can remember have worked in any dashcam i have had it in so far.
But i still advise caution and go thru the blackvue forums for actual user experience

Generally i will advice in favor of endurance cards as they do most often have warranty for use in dashcams.
But in all fairness i have used non endurance for many years, and aside for a few unfortunate experiences in the way back days i have gotten good performance and use time out of non endurance cards.
Most car4ds in my test suite are also still non endurance cards

The new PNY card i test dont mention anything about dashcam use but it is recommended for CCTV camera use, and so i assume have warranty for that, and since a dashcam are sort of a CCTV camera in a car i think they are covered too.

This minus a few in use in the car are the bulk of my test suite of cards.
Note the WD purple card which have been good for me, it is the old fast kind, the new QD101 branded ones dont seem so succesfuld for some.

View attachment 63287

WOW that is an impressive collection of cards :) When I first got my dashcam I just chucked in a standard 32Gb Sandisk card and my Viofo A119 v3 seemed happy with it, have since replaced that with a 128Gb rebranded Integral A1 V30 U3 card and again the Viofo is happy. Also use this same make/model of card in the Vantrue E1 and that has not complained to date.

Why has @Lufo edited all his/her posts, have I missed something here on the forums :)

Well after i took the picture i did notice a few 64 GB cards had sneaked in, i only deal in 128 and 256 GB cards now.
Though the red kingston and the thrancend ultimate, old cards i am not sure is in larger versions.

I have just pulled the Adata endurance from the Vantrue E2 system i am testing, it have functioned flawless, where as that card in any other dashcam and its a no go.
So nice to see it do actually work in at least 1 dashcam

HI,

I'm new to blackvue having just got the 900X plus 2 ch to replace my aging Lucas camera.
My question is about SD cards and 3rd party ones in particular, I was wondering if you can use these as the blackvue instructions say only use blackvue SD Cards in the camera?
Also any recommendations if you can.

TIA

Jim
I'm currently using both DR900X Plus & DR900S 2ch models and both have had SanDisk Extreme Pro or Samsung ProEndurance cards in them. I've never had an issue with either.

As regards Blackvue recommendations, I take what they say with a pinch of salt as (& this is purely a personal view) I've found Bv support to be poor at best. If I wasn't getting such good images from the cameras I'd have binned Bv a long time ago.

Thanks guys for all your replies, I bought the Samsung EVO plus 128gb card and its working a dream in my dashcam set up

Back