4-ch setup w/ monitor, or two 2-ch setup?

Kurtis Durfey

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to set up a four-channel system in my old VW bus, and I like the idea of a dash-mounted monitor showing me speed and maps using GPS. I'm looking at either a singe four-channel system or two two-channel systems, one with a monitor.

I think the big benefit to a two system, two-channel setup is that, if a cop unplugs one system, you have a backup running (assuming s/he doesn't realize they're running independently). Something that has a back-up battery in the event that it's unplugged is also ideal, although I'd also thought about installing a toggle switch in the dash to divert the lead from the ignition directly to the hot lead on my starter coil before I turn the car off (effectively turning it "on," even if the car is "off") if I'm stopped.

I'm also concerned about vibration. It is an old VW, after all. But I should be able to use a static external drive as backup, if the technology supports it, to avoid data corruption.

What are your thoughts about an ideal setup, brands, and systems?

Last edited:
You're on a budget, for non-GPS cameras 2,3&4 check out the Mobius. If you want pre-buffered motion detection check out the Street Guardian SGZC12RC (aka Panorama X1)

As far as you primary front facing GPS logging enabled dashcam goes, you should stick with something that has a super capacitor. Battery based dashcam products are not reliable long term in the high heat trapped environment of a car. It's best to utilize your own car's battery for parking mode. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/link-forums/battery-discharge-prevention.47/

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, budget isn't too much of an issue. If I can keep the whole thing under $1,000, that'd be good. I'd rather invest in a reliable system with some longevity than start replacing components in a few years...

These cameras dont have maps for navigation, or that is Garmin just made a combined dashcam / nav unit, but how good it is i dont know.
But as for dashcams the GPS inside is just for loggin speeds and path travled, that can then be viewed in software after the drive.

The French company Parrot allso have a combined android 5.0 headunit with navigation and a lot of other things,among those allso a dashcam.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/news/a24677/the-parrot-rbn6-head-unit-is-all-ive-ever-wanted/

Proberly a good way to smart up your old VW bus.

Back