4 Metre Charging Cable for Mobius

Highway

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Mobius x2
Any one know where I can get the a 4 metre length cable to suit. Eletoponline 365 only supply the 3 metre.
Thanks

There have been posts on issues with battery life using longer USB leads (due to voltage drops). I'm using the 3m lead from Eletoponline 365 and have hardwired in (behind trim panels and under the dash) the USB power supplies - so I didn't require longer leads. It might be worthwhile considering.

The USB cigarette lighter power supplies from Eletoponline 365 can be easily split open and power wires soldered directly to the internal circuit board. Then clip the case back together and wrap it in insulation tape to hold it. The power wires are run out through the hole where the positive lug of the cigarette plug used to be. I'm running three in this manner and they've been working perfectly for a couple of months.

There have been posts on issues with battery life using longer USB leads (due to voltage drops). I'm using the 3m lead from Eletoponline 365 and have hardwired in (behind trim panels and under the dash) the USB power supplies - so I didn't require longer leads. It might be worthwhile considering.

The USB cigarette lighter power supplies from Eletoponline 365 can be easily split open and power wires soldered directly to the internal circuit board. Then clip the case back together and wrap it in insulation tape to hold it. The power wires are run out through the hole where the positive lug of the cigarette plug used to be. I'm running three in this manner and they've been working perfectly for a couple of months.
Sounds great. You don't have some sort of guide (e.g. vids/pics) that you created yourself or you were following? I am a DYI guy but feel more comfortable when I have some guide to refer to. Thank you in advance.

You can buy USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5pin Male cables in lengths from 1.5 ft to 15 ft from Monoprice.com at very attractive prices. They are 28/24AWG Cables w/ Ferrite Cores and gold plated connectors. These beefier cables may have less issues with longer runs but of course, they may be more challenging to install.​

Sounds great. You don't have some sort of guide (e.g. vids/pics) that you created yourself or you were following? I am a DYI guy but feel more comfortable when I have some guide to refer to. Thank you in advance.
No, sorry I don't have any pics of the procedure to modify the power supply. If you're handy with a soldering iron it's an easy thing to do. Split the USB power supply case, remove the spring loaded metal contacts that are used to make electrical contact with the cigarette lighter socket, solder two wires onto the circuit board and tape it back together.

Yes, that's the easier way (unfortunately I'd already bought the other type before I discovered they were available.)

Thanks for the replies.

I might go with the 1 metre extension cable.

I tried to mount a mobius in the back of my car with a 2m cable plus a 1m extension cable plugged into my cigarette lighter after some hours of driving there was now video recorded. Before buying a 3m or 4m USB cable can someone tell me if the will run with such a long cable?
Hardwiring is not a solution my car will be sold in a few month and I'm not a tinkerer at all.

I tried to mount a mobius in the back of my car with a 2m cable plus a 1m extension cable plugged into my cigarette lighter after some hours of driving there was now video recorded. Before buying a 3m or 4m USB cable can someone tell me if the will run with such a long cable?
Hardwiring is not a solution my car will be sold in a few month and I'm not a tinkerer at all.

I've been running my rear facing Mobius for two years or so now with a 5 meter (15 foot) 28 AWG 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cable with no issues. I have it plugged into a dual 2.4 Amp cigarette lighter adapter in my dash console. I also have two side facing cameras running off 10 foot versions of the same cable. They also sell a heavier gauge 28/24 AWG version of the same cable with a ferrite bead. If you can source similar cables in Germany they should work fine at those lengths with no issues.

Edit. It appears you can buy these cables on Amazon Germany at reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I've been running my rear facing Mobius for two years or so now with a 5 meter (15 foot) 29 AWG 5 pin USB-A to mini-B cable with no issues. I have it plugged into a dual 2.4 Amp cigarette lighter adapter in my dash console. I also have two side facing cameras running off 10 foot versions of the same cable. They also sell a heavier gauge 28/24 AWG version of the same cable with a ferrite bead. If you can source similar cables in Germany they should work fine at those lengths with no issues.

Edit. It appears you can buy these cables on Amazon Germany at reasonable prices.
Just checked the Monoprice site in your link, and it is $1.83. Thanks for the info and link!

Just checked the Monoprice site in your link, and it is $1.83. Thanks for the info and link!

You just can't beat Monoprice for quality and pricing on virtually any type of cables. Even with the shipping fee, they're cheaper than anyone else. A curious thing that I've experienced with them over the years is that sometimes when I've ordered a cable from them I receive something that is almost too beefy and overbuilt for my purpose yet far cheaper than the unshielded, poor quality spaghetti cables sold elsewhere.

You just can't beat Monoprice for quality and pricing on virtually any type of cables. Even with the shipping fee, they're cheaper than anyone else. A curious thing that I've experienced with them over the years is that sometimes when I've ordered a cable from them I receive something that is almost too beefy and overbuilt for my purpose yet far cheaper than the unshielded, poor quality spaghetti cables sold elsewhere.
That has been my experience as well. I ordered a couple of HDMI cables from them earlier this year, and when I received them they looked like cabling the power company would use for a main line! Indestructible would be an apt description.

Yeah, Monoprice's HDMI cables were how I discovered Monoprice in the first place after learning that many professionals buy them instead of paying exorbitant prices for ones of equal or lesser quality elsewhere. Now Monoprice sells all kinds of consumer electronics but at one time they mostly specialized in cables.

Yeah, Monoprice's HDMI cables were how I discovered Monoprice in the first place after learning that many professionals buy them instead of paying exorbitant prices for ones of equal or lesser quality elsewhere. Now Monoprice sells all kinds of consumer electronics but at one time they mostly specialized in cables.
Do you think their new offerings will retain the same quality?

I tried a five meter USB cable to power my Mobius in the back of the car it hasn't record anything.

Too bad I was a bit too optimistic :-D

I tried a five meter USB cable to power my Mobius in the back of the car it hasn't record anything.

Too bad I was a bit too optimistic :-D

It should work. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread I've used 5 meter cables for quite a long time now to run Mobius cameras with no problems.
When you say the Mobius hasn't recorded anything what does the camera do? Does the camera power up? Does the rear red LED slowly blink?

Back