402G Battery Replacement

Martin68

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
NV522
Hi Guys,
I have two of these 402G's, I bought the first one for myself around 2 years ago and the second one for my wife around 18 months ago.
Thanks to this forum, I have been able to sort out my troublesome dashcam issue and soon sussed out that I had the usual battery issue. I rang Tiffany on Thursday to enquire about the availability of a replacements (been an ex electronics engineer myself, should be a doddle of a job). Lo and behold, the following day on my doormat was a (FREE) replacement battery. Less than 15 minutes later, the unit was dissassembled, battery replaced and unit reassembled and tested. A further 10 minutes later, firmware version R09 was installed and the dashcam now as good as new fitted back into my car.
Out of curiousity, I decided to check my second 402G in the wife's car ...... sure enough the same battery failure issue. E-mailed Tiffany over the weekend and got a reply this morning apologising for the issue with the second dash cam and another (FREE) battery winging its way to me as a write. I have managed to locate a couple of upgraded versions on e-bay (330mAh), against the original (250mAh) which should fit without any problems and should be with me sometime next month.
TIP:
Don't use a soldering iron any larger than 18W ..... the pc board and solder landing pads are very small and fragile, so a small bit would be ideal. Better still (if anyone has one), a temperature controlled soldering iron with a fine bit would be ideal.

The battery issue in these dashcams are a very bad design fault, but what Nextbase lack in reliability make up in the way of customer after service.

My sincere thanks to Tiffany and her team !

Last edited:
Shame the excellent service is let down by appalling design using a charging circuit that cooks the batteries, with the 402g check if the voice recording is on or off as this is a very common setting that likes to turn itself off at random, as well as the favourite changing date/time

Hi @Martin68,

We do try and help where we can however each case is measured on an individual basis depending on the warranty.

Thank you for providing such a detailed explanation for other customers who are reading and looking to fit.

I will pass on your lovely comments to the team.

@tabetha the two sound like they relate to the same thing; are you able to get in touch so we have help diagnose?

Regards

Hi Guys,
I have two of these 402G's, I bought the first one for myself around 2 years ago and the second one for my wife around 18 months ago.
Thanks to this forum, I have been able to sort out my troublesome dashcam issue and soon sussed out that I had the usual battery issue. I rang Tiffany on Thursday to enquire about the availability of a replacements (been an ex electronics engineer myself, should be a doddle of a job). Lo and behold, the following day on my doormat was a (FREE) replacement battery. Less than 15 minutes later, the unit was dissassembled, battery replaced and unit reassembled and tested. A further 10 minutes later, firmware version R09 was installed and the dashcam now as good as new fitted back into my car.
Out of curiousity, I decided to check my second 402G in the wife's car ...... sure enough the same battery failure issue. E-mailed Tiffany over the weekend and got a reply this morning apologising for the issue with the second dash cam and another (FREE) battery winging its way to me as a write. I have managed to locate a couple of upgraded versions on e-bay (330mAh), against the original (250mAh) which should fit without any problems and should be with me sometime next month.
TIP:
Don't use a soldering iron any larger than 18W ..... the pc board and solder landing pads are very small and fragile, so a small bit would be ideal. Better still (if anyone has one), a temperature controlled soldering iron with a fine bit would be ideal.

The battery issue in these dashcams are a very bad design fault, but what Nextbase lack in reliability make up in the way of customer after service.

My sincere thanks to Tiffany and her team !
UPDATE

Battery for second 402G received this morning, fitted and firmware update applied = 1 happy wife !!

Back