402G v 412GW Footage

Kremmen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
2 x Viofo A119 V3
I'm surprised by the difference between my old 402G and my new 412GW under some lighting conditions.

Is it just me ?

Here are 2 images from the 2 Nextbase units of the same set of speed cameras:

402G:

rjnpvzc.jpg

412GW (1080@60):

Tw5KkWq.jpg

Bit dissapointed.

The 412 has the lens filter. I think my next test is to revert to 1440 and drop the exposure to -1

However:

402G:

hlkIeOE.jpg

412GW: 1080@60 (no filter):

u3h0kFx.jpg

412GW: 1440 (with filter):

RQWFHfT.jpg

On these 3 I think the 1440 with filter is probably the best where the sun isn't on the windscreen.

Any other ideas ?

Last edited:
Hi @Kremmen

Are these all on the same day at the same time? The cloud formation seems different in your first two images.

Hi

No these are all on different days. 402 from June 17 and the 412 ones a few days apart early October. I just wanted to post my image comparison between the 2 units.

I was expecting a better image quality from the 412 with quad hd but so far I'm a bit disappointed. When I compare footage over roads I've covered with both units, often the old 402 is sharper.

Last edited:
best way to compare is to use both dashcams at the same time experiencing the same conditions

Ah yes - it’s clear to see there are differences here but they were taken on different days with differing conditions. When completing comparisons it is best to have them both together and change one variable at a time.

Is the 412GW on the latest firmware? We’ve recently released 11.7 with some good updates:

Intelligent parking mode,
High and Low resolution files for improved Wi-Fi transfer.

Ah, new firmware, thanks.

My first impression, when I downloaded and viewed the 412 footage for the first time was that number plates of cars overtaking on the motorway wern't as clear as the 402. I had to freeze frame to see them. Plus the lack of deep colour that the 402 produced. It looked like the brightness needed turning down. That's what got me looking closer.

That was at the default 1440 setting.

The above, tiny thumbnails don't really show the difference. On a big PC 1080p monitor viewed through VLC the differences are easier to spot.

I'll have another look later and try and get some short sample .mov footage.

I appreciate the side hy side advice but sharpness and colour saturation seems to be an issue, especially in bright sunlight. The filter has helped with glare though.

Thanks for replying, leave the new firmware with me.

Update: New firmware installed.

The firmware download only downloaded the single FW96660.bin file. Anyone downloading for the first time won't get the pack with the required NBDVR412GW.bin?

Further testing pending.

Last edited:
Update: New firmware installed.

The firmware download only downloaded the single FW96660.bin file. Anyone downloading for the first time won't get the pack with the required NBDVR412GW.bin?

Yes we’re in the process of updating the instructions on our website, there is only one file ( FW96660.bin) for the update to 11.7.

Not the two that are mentioned.

Please keep us updated Pete, I look forward to hearing from you.

I noticed the GPS seemed to latch on quicker with 11.7

I've not had chance to venture out yet but I spent quite a bit of time replaying old 402 footage. I've found that even the 402 suffered slightly from direct sun on the windscreen.
As mentioned, I'm not really comparing like for like, footage on cloudy days is better.

I've spent time examining the 412 1440@30 and 1080@60 footage, looking for out of sunlight sharpness, but so far failed to see any improvement.
Hopefully the new firmware will take more advantage of the quad hd lens.

I do like the quick release mount so I'm sticking with the 412.

What I'm looking for is a short mini usb extension with a 90 degree bend, like the supplied cable, so my hardwire goes straight up into the headlining rather than horizontal from the mount then bend up.

Never happy am I :)

I think there is an adaptor to do this, leave this with me and I will see if I have one in the office.

Thanks again.

Just ordered this from Scan to get ready for the 612:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/128...hs-i-class-3-u3-100mb-s-read-90mb-s-write-ada

They are slightly cheaper on Amazon but looking at the supplier in HK and looking at some of the reviews I got dubious. I looked up UK suppliers on the Samsung website.

I use my car generally for a 4 mile drive to work and a bit of shopping and family trips - tends to be a max of about 4,000 miles a year so not a great amount of driving.

So I ordered the 64Gb version from Amazon. Had a £5 gift card there and with Prime, it means I get the card today and paid just £17.

As you may have gathered I have an interest in logging speed cameras (for PGPSW). I also don't do many miles a year but on the occasions I do venture out, holidays and distant relatives, they are 100+miles each way, often a 3 hour journey, and I want to have all 200+ return miles available.
That was easily possible on the 402 with a 64Gb card but these new ones need more.

Thanks for the links, that'll do the job.

Even if it is the right angle it’ll be a lot bulkier. I’ll probably run the original cord to boot and and hardwire a multi socket there so I can plug both cams in.

Only £2.50 so worth having a go. I'll post an image once it arrives.

Update:

I got a small 90 degree plastic bend (mini usb, not the micro one in one link), but, with the windscreen angle this was no use. With the adapter and the usb hardwire end it was too high and the camera was pointing upwards as the hardwire end was hard up against the windscreen.

The answer was a short lead, as posted by JK.

This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/90-Degree-...or-Mp3-GPS-Camera/1073784399?iid=231953581321

Proper job

Back