412gw Firmware won't update using sd card method.

Sam1949

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says Ive tried to update the firmware and it just wont work. downloaded the file onto an empty sd card and follwed the instructions but nothing happens. got the dashcam for xmas and have just hard wired it to my car and started using Parking mode but it does not shut down when parked and its flattening my car battery. the current firmware version is R9.5 .

As the title says Ive tried to update the firmware and it just wont work. downloaded the file onto an empty sd card and follwed the instructions but nothing happens. got the dashcam for xmas and have just hard wired it to my car and started using Parking mode but it does not shut down when parked and its flattening my car battery. the current firmware version is R9.5 .
Hi there,

Please check your inbox for instructions on how to update your firmware for your 412GW.

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

Hi there,

Please check your inbox for instructions on how to update your firmware for your 412GW.

Regards,
Hello Nextbase Support, I have exactly the same issue as Sam1949 the original poster - Trying to update firmware to FW96660A.bin from R9.5.
Can you please send instructions to my inbox on how to update the firmware on my 412GW too please?

Hi Ian,

I certainly can, be sure to send me a direct message here on the forum so that we can run through some steps to get you updated.

Regards,

Given this is the second similar issue why is the fix being done in secret ?

Instructions for all to see would be helpful

The most common cause for the firmware failure is an error in the file name from multiple download attempts. You need to ensure that there's no numbers in brackets for this to be successful, for example (1) or (2), as this would indicate multiple downloads of the same firmware file, only the original download file will work in this case.
For a 412GW on R16.2, the firmware file should say 'FW96660A.bin', not 'FW96660A.bin(1)' etc. Just delete the last three digits and you should be set to go.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

or people that don't have file extensions shown that then add .bin to the file name and end up with something like FW96660A.bin.bin which won't load, Linux or Chromebook users that need to rename the file to FW96660A.BIN or it won't run, pretty hard to get it wrong on a Novatek chipset so there's really only a couple of things to check, no real secrets as such

haha the XXXXX .bin(1) file name error i too have made a couple of times, not least with camera brands that can some times crank out a lot of firmware's in a month, and so ending in my downloads folder and all same name the suffix get added by the computer.

Of course if i could only get my ass in gear and sort my firmware's into folders for the respective cameras and models / versions it would be better, bus since my last windows 10 install i am not doing that anymore for some reason.

Yep, I've seen many errors when the exact capitalisation was changed FW96660A.bin will work fw96660A.bin or FW96660A.BIN won't

Hi Ian,

I certainly can, be sure to send me a direct message here on the forum so that we can run through some steps to get you updated.

Regards,
Hi Dan, how do I send you a direct message?
I’m new to the site, so not sure where to do that.
Cheers, Ian
Hi Ian,

Regards,
Hi Dan, hopefully I've just sent you a DM. Can you check and confirm please?

Hi All, thanks to everyone's help in this thread, as I have now been able to update the firmware.

Step 1 : I formatted the microsd card in the dashcam (I had done it on my laptop and it didn't like that!).

Step 2 : Copied the file from my laptop to the microsd card - Renamed it from "FW96660A.bin" to "fw96660A.bin" (as per post above).

Step 3 : Removed existing microsd card from dashcam and disconnected power.

Step 4 : Inserted microsd card with bin file into dashcam and connected power to dashcam.
** It literally took a few seconds to apply and showed a new blue Next Base flash screen **

Step 5 : All settings will have been overwritten in the dashcam - It will ask for you to enter country, etc as though it's the first time you've used it.
Checked in Settings > System Info and Version now says R16.2 (was 9.5)

Step 6 : Went in to settings and disabled Dual file save for High and Low res videos.
On the microsd card the bin file was deleted during the update.
Instead, two files were created:-
(1) Nextbase.com - A link to their website
(2) Nextbase.info - Gives details of dashcam info including firmware version.

Step 7 : Remove firmware update microsd and insert your original microsd card

It took less than 10 minutes to do this - I spent most of the time trying to get the microsd cards in and out of the dashcam - Improvised and used the end of a biro!

I have two more 412GW's to update now for my Wife and Son.

Thanks again for the help folks, much appreciated.

Ian

Last edited:
Back