412GW Image Colour Error + Update Issue

Blackraven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Had mine since August 2017, 412GW. Worked fine till now... Hard wired and that all works perfectly. When image is showing when recording in daylight the image has a blue cast.
It's like shooting a photograph indoors with daylight set on your camera! At night the colour is perfect. Hence the colour temperature variation.
I have the Replay 3 on my Windows 10 pc and as a previous forum comment said mine won't work until 412GW updated to latest firmware!

I have downloaded the update, fully formatted the card, copied onto the card, fitted to camera and it doesn't boot to install update!

This is a pain in the harris! I was given a grey and red scan disk of at least 32gb (its in the car I can't remember!). I am having no problems with recording or viewing or downloading to my Samsung S6 Edge to view over wifi.

Any ideas, or chuck it back to Halfords?

Before I fitted the polarizing lens to my 412 the colours were atrocious. Very washed out on bright days.

Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

What version of firmware is on the camera?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

Hi i have also noticed the blue cast and had presumed it was just down to the snow we have had recently , however seems not .also the double recording of hi and lo res video , when are we going to get the option to stop this , i have no idea what the thinking behind it is , it just takes up space and cuts record time down .I noticed that this had been brought up this time last year and you had said it would be dealt with in the next upgrade of the firmware . my current firmware is WA-R12.4
cheers Mick

however seems not .also the double recording of hi and lo res video , when are we going to get the option to stop this , i have no idea what the thinking behind it is , it just takes up space and cuts record time down .

so that you know what the thinking is behind this, the low res files are what you view when accessing via wifi, without those wifi would be painfully slow to the point of not being functional, the Korean approach to this issue is to limit the bitrate of the camera to make it workable but that leads to poor quality video, particularly in difficult circumstances like low light, lots of movement, tree lined streets etc, the high and low res files is a much smarter way to handle it so that you still have a good quality capture of what happened, and an easily accessible copy should you need it on the spot (think standing on the side of the road trying to show the police why you're not at fault), if you didn't have the low res files you'll gain about 10 percent more recording time, it's a small price to pay for being able to access the files easily over wifi

All very plausible but we should have the option, like the 612, to turn it off to capture more hi res video.

so that you know what the thinking is behind this, the low res files are what you view when accessing via wifi, without those wifi would be painfully slow to the point of not being functional, the Korean approach to this issue is to limit the bitrate of the camera to make it workable but that leads to poor quality video, particularly in difficult circumstances like low light, lots of movement, tree lined streets etc, the high and low res files is a much smarter way to handle it so that you still have a good quality capture of what happened, and an easily accessible copy should you need it on the spot (think standing on the side of the road trying to show the police why you're not at fault), if you didn't have the low res files you'll gain about 10 percent more recording time, it's a small price to pay for being able to access the files easily over wifi
Whilst thats a good explanation ,albeit a useless one it would be better to have the option of turning it off , the quality has clearly been affected by this hence the blue cast ,and as previously stated this cuts the the available time on the card for recordings .I for one am pretty certain i wouldnt need the facility as you describe , as i wouldn't replay it direct from the camera not over wi-fi if needed, no idea why if showing the video to the police you would need to show it over wi-fi unless they were already back at the station and requesting a file be sent .Your explanation does'nt make any sense . and its far a small price to pay for having a facility that no one asked for or wants . I had an incident the other day which highlighted the poor quality of both the hi and lo res video as it took me and the police officer considerable time and use of several software options to get a clear view of the index number of the offending vehicle , that was right in front of me !

I'm still running firmware 9.5 with just the hi--res and the footage is fine.
I do have a post here somewhere with a link to 9.5 on my Dropbox. It's still there for download.

Hello @tazo171

After releasing the 412GW with its 1440p resolution the bulk of contact from customers was to share their dissatisfaction about the Wi-Fi speed. On the back of this we improved this by adding Hi and Lo resolution files.

This immediately affected customer feedback and complaints around this issue stopped completely.

Now there are a few customers who don't need this feature and we've taken this feedback on board and will be releasing future updates with the option to turn it off.

That's the thing. We here don't know the full picture.

Things happen for a reason.

Any more ETA updates yet on the next firmware release for the 421gw i know a firmware update coming within a week. But dose this also include the option to turn off Low recording files

Whilst thats a good explanation ,albeit a useless one it would be better to have the option of turning it off , the quality has clearly been affected by this hence the blue cast
if there has been a change in image quality that's a bug, having the two files has no direct affect on quality of the full res file

no idea why if showing the video to the police you would need to show it over wi-fi
so you can show them on a larger screen than the camera itself

.Your explanation does'nt make any sense
as clarified here

Hello @tazo171

After releasing the 412GW with its 1440p resolution the bulk of contact from customers was to share their dissatisfaction about the Wi-Fi speed. On the back of this we improved this by adding Hi and Lo resolution files.

This immediately affected customer feedback and complaints around this issue stopped completely.

Hello @tazo171

Now there are a few customers who don't need this feature and we've taken this feedback on board and will be releasing future updates with the option to turn it off.

Thanks for your respsonse Tiffany that option would be much appreciated .
Regards Mick

Before I fitted the polarizing lens to my 412 the colours were atrocious. Very washed out on bright days.
Hi Kremmen, I'm wondering wether to purchase the polarising lens as I have a Zafira with a big windscreen and lots of dashboard glare. What's your thoughts on it and how does it cope with night driving? Thanks.

I can't help with night footage as I have no reason to go out after dark.

However, the polarizing lens made a big difference during bright days. Set it up via the blank A4 paper on dash trick. Once you have it rotated correctly make a tiny mark with paint or tippex because it's easily accidentally rotated.

Do you have any files you can upload to us @Chris Faux ? I'll see h ow much of an effect the glare is having.

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

The polarising filter will make a minimal difference to both nighttime and day time recordings.

Do you have any files you can upload to us @Chris Faux ?

The polarising filter will make a minimal difference to both nighttime and day time recordings.

Not minimal at all unfortunately, the polarising filter has an effect of -1 EV. After fitting mine, I had to adjust the ev to +1, which makes night time footage very grainy and daytime loses quality.

For some reason, it's sounding like the NB development team seem very reluctant to bring in a smaller increment setting, in the EV option. I'm not sure how they check their own products, as if you did increase the setting x1 its too bright, and x2 (+), it's almost a Whiteout ( unless I have a faulty unit)
Tiffany is saying that fitting a CPL " will make a minimal difference " so why such a big adjustment jump?
In a previous post " EV adjustment after CPL filter is fitted " there are two photos showing a with and without, and asking for x .3 increments. At the moment I'm fitting the CPL in brighter conditions, and removing in dull or night. ( luckily attached only by magnet)

Back