412GW keeps flashing and then switching off

macgd016

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a 412GW to my car and mostly it works OK, however, periodically shortly after staring a journey the screen will light up, the blue led lights under Power, Up Arrow, Down Arrow and WIFI start flashing and this is accompanied by much bleeping before it then powers down. I can't find any reference to this in the documentation, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Hello @macgd016

That does sound strange,

What brand and size SD card are you using and when was the last time it was formatted? How is it being powered?

What version of firmware is on the camera?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

Hello Tiffany, Thanks for your reply.

The SD card is a generic HC type 4 that I have formatted several times recently.

It is currently powered via the Nextbase car power cable

The firmware is R11.7

The problem seems to be progressing or changing today, several times the blue lights on the left side have come on (but no bleeping) and then the camera has powered down. Also when at home with the camera powered off but connected to my PC it has spontaniously powered on, then later it powered down as well.

I'm very confused

PS. I should also have added that when the camera is recording in Screen Saver mode, then lights start blinking etc and powers down it leaves a corrupted MOV file that cannot be played and that locks up Replay3

I'd suggest changing the memory card. By "type 4" do you mean Class 4? If so, you should really use Class 10 (reputable branded one) due to the requirement of write-speed used by dashcams.

It’s a class 4 card? That isn’t suitable I’m sorry, the card needs to be a class 10 and a good reputable brand. We recommend SanDisk, there are others that work well though.

What you’re describing will be down to this, there is a firmware update available too on our website R12.4

OK thanks, I will get myself a Class 10 SanDisk. The documentation I have says that 32Gb is the max that is supported but I note from reading here that this may have been increased. Could you please tell me what specification cards are supported now?

Up to 128gb now @macgd016 that will give you roughly 8 hours’ worth of files before it starts looping.

Tiffany, Sorry to be a pain but i'm getting mighty confused looking at memory card specifications, I'm looking on the MYMemory site to (try) and be sure I get a genuine card rather than a knock off, can you confirm that a Samsung 64GB Evo Plus Micro SD Card (SDXC) + Adapter - 100MB/s is compatable. This is the spec:

Form factor: MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card
Storage Capacity: 64 GB
Speed Rating: UHS-I U3 / Class10
Read Speed: Up to 100 MB/s
Write Speed: Up to 60 MB/s

Spend the extra £3 and get the Sandisk (if you're sticking with 64gb)

Spend the extra £3 and get the Sandisk (if you're sticking with 64gb)
When I bought the 412gw I understood that 32gb and 3 hours recording were the max and I was happy with that so 32 or 64gb are fine with me, its rare that I drive for more than 2 hours at a time anyway.

However, if nextbase cameras are super sensitive to the SD cards that are used I would have hoped that they would have a list of approved cards rather than leaving it to their customers to do the testing for them.

Sorry if this sounded harsh but I am very frustrated by having to trawl through posts trying to find a card that 'might' work correctly :mad:

Thank you so much Tony, really helpful :cool:

Listing cards might be open to interpretation that a company don't recommend a brand and perhaps that could lead to an issue, if you get my drift. I don't know of any that specifically say you should buy brand A in case brand B or C take umbridge with it.

I think you should always get the best you can when it comes to any camera be it a dashcam or a DSLR photography camera. Putting cheaper cards in a Canon 5D DSLR for instance would affect performance so logic would dictate getting the best because the hardware is so hi-tech. The same applies to any higher end technical equipment I reckon.

I would always recommend Samsung and U3 if available and affordable.

Sorry if this sounded harsh but I am very frustrated by having to trawl through posts trying to find a card that 'might' work correctly :mad:

But that's exactly what this forum's for, if in doubt, ask. I go on lots of other forums where people answer every question with "try searching", which in my experience often leads to frustration if trying to find answers to things you're very new to, but here, people know a lot, and the frequent users are more than happy to answer questions properly. You might well have gone on ebay and bought a fake 64gb sandisk for £11 if you hadn't asked here first so no need to apologise.

With regards to formatting. Format the card inside the dashcam, not on the computer. It can be done fine on the computer if you know how to put a 64gb into the correct format but the camera will format it how it needs to anyway.

I couldn't agree more, we would 100% rather a customer ask than experience problems further down the line.

That one I linked above is one I have in mine - I also took a look at that scan website which looked like they had a good range of cards.

Yes scan also sell branded micro sd cards at an reasonable price too Tiffany even though I have never brought from them I always buy from my memory. Regards to formatting the sd card on the pc I have the mobius action camera & they have their own software programme to change various settings etc, you can place any sd card into the mobius e.g 64gb (exfat32) & then format it to fat32 so it will record correctly once taken out & placed into 412gw for e.g. I’ve done mine like this in the past & it’s been fine

Back