412gw part of file deleted

robster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

First post hope its not too difficult.

Last Sunday morning 6:15am after finishing a night shift I had an accident whilst pulling out of a T junction onto a dual carriageway, as I turned left onto the carriageway a taxi that was reversing the wrong way down the carriageway struck the front of my car, side swiping me along the headlight and front corner of the bumper and wing.

After exchanging details etc and driving home, as the car was drivable with no issues, I viewed the footage 3 times on the dashcam whilst in the house, I then went off to bed leaving the dashcam on the kitchen worktop.

When I got up around 2pm ish I took the card from the dash cam and put it in an expander then placed it in the PC.

The file I needed had somehow had 2 minutes deleted from it and was only 7 seconds long, all the footage of the accident was gone, I copied all the files from the card to my PC and there are 4 that it will not read

Is there any way I can recover the lost footage for my insurance company ?

The camera had frozen 3 days earlier so I reformatted the card, its a PNY 32gb

Any advice would be great thanks

Welcome to DCT :)@robster

Try viewing the card on the cam again; sometimes that will repair the file. If it does, then save the files you need on your PC directly from the card without using a viewer program. Once that's done you need to safely 'eject' the card by right clicking on the drive, selecting "properties", and clicking "eject" on the drop-down menu. Simply pulling any external media from a computer runs a slight risk of damaging the media. After this you should be able to view the files on your PC.

If that doesn't work there are other remedies which might help, but let's go for simple, cheap, and easy first.

Phil

Welcome to DCT :)@robster

Try viewing the card on the cam again; sometimes that will repair the file. If it does, then save the files you need on your PC directly from the card without using a viewer program. Once that's done you need to safely 'eject' the card by right clicking on the drive, selecting "properties", and clicking "eject" on the drop-down menu. Simply pulling any external media from a computer runs a slight risk of damaging the media. After this you should be able to view the files on your PC.

If that doesn't work there are other remedies which might help, but let's go for simple, cheap, and easy first.

Phil
Hi SawMaster,

I've run into a similar problem whereby my NextBase 422GW has deleted a couple of specific videos I viewed on my PC two days ago but now cannot be found when I tried to view them again today. My VLC Player on my PC still holds the file names from when I viewed them but when I search for the file, it can no longer be found on the drive.

I've tried your advice on trying to view the footage on the cam again but to no avail. Oddly, the footage either side of the specific video I'm after has also deleted. Do you or anyone else have any tips on other things to try?

I fear that I hadn't safely ejected the drive (SD card) from my PC and need the footage for a potential insurance claim.

Thanks in advance,
Tiubacker

Sorry can't help with file recovery, but to prevent future file loss, if you need something for something important, the very first thing to do is make a backup. Just copy the whole SD card to a PC if you want, then you won't lose stuff, and if it's really really important, make another copy.

It has been known for a bump to trigger a protected file so investigate all files on the card incase the file has been terminated early and a new continuation file started elsewhere.

If all the footage has gone and you've since used the camera, there's a possibility that the footage may have been overwritten if it wasn't a Protected File.
I'd recommend double checking the Protected Files folder on the SD card (as mentioned by @Kremmen ), and just having a good old search all through the SD card for the files.

Back