412GW with issues

Zetec

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Greetings all , am a new squid on the block here on DCT ...

Fr Christmas brought me a NextBase 412GW in 2018 with a 32gb NextBase sd card , replaced the card in March 2019 as apparently that type of card was troublesome to other users also . FFwd to Nov 2020 and the screen started to go blank in either blue or orange at random for a matter of hours then back to normal on dc power . I'm also now getting the sd format error message again and more often , up to 3 times a day even after formatting and having had it formatted via computer at Halfords , the error message persists .
So I thought I'd try narrowing the possible causes and having followed the Charge Test I found on another thread here I think that established that the battery has just enough power to show the NextBase logo on powering up so that just leaves the mysterious sd card to sort out .

Any assistance on which way to go from here is appreciated , bear with me if I'm late in replies .

Cheers .

Hello,

Welcome to DCT!

SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. After two years of usage it may be that the SD card is now failing.

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start and operate normally (ignore the 'Insert SD card' message)?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Good afternoon all , and thanks Millie . I've pressed the reset button and yes it's powering up albeit on ac power . The sd message just appeared briefly . I guess the next best thing would be to get the battery sorted directly via NextBase .

Hello,

It sounds like the SD card had been having a problem- I'd recommend a computer format, or worse case scenario replacing the SD card.
On a Windows Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows)
d) Ensure the 'Quick Format box' is not ticked. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

I'd also recommend performing a battery test:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 16+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 10 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan. If this is the case, please email support@nextbase.com and we can provide further information regarding a replacement battery.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Millie and thank you (again)

I've followed your directions , unplugged it after 4 hours charging and I was greeted by an onscreen message saying 'Low Battery , please charge' (or words to that effect)
So , I'll go have a chat with support@nextbase.com as you suggested .

Kind regards ,
R.

Back