422gw +addon cam any good?

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering getting a NB422GW as it can accommodate the addon for the rear view, i'm not interested in Parking Mode, hardwire will be conected to a switched live only NOT permanent live.
I used to have a 522gw + rear cam, wasn't too happy with all the protected even files being created going over the tiniest of bumps. I sold my car and let the 522gw go with it. Bought a garmin 55 + (a piece of junk which gave nothing but trouble with engine stop/start issues) for the new car 2019 fiesta active 1.
so i'm now considering moving back to nextbase.

Nextbase tech support was good with last dashcam , garmin was not.

Is quality of rear cam good, I have factory tinted windows on rear screen, will picture be clear?

Has anyone had any issues with the 422gw regarding stop start on their cars? (Garmin was useless) Halfrauds will probably do the fitting as auld age makes it a bit harder for me these days lying on the floor to access fuse box. .

Last edited:
Hi there,

You can turn down the sensitivity of the protected file function in the Dash Cam's settings. I'd advise turning it to 'Low' if you live in an area with lots of pot holes/ roundabouts etc.

If Parking Mode is turned off, and you're on a Switch Live fuse, the Cam will turn on and off with the car's stop start (once the cam's internal battery has drained). Will you be using a Nextbase Hard Wire kit, or another kit? If there's anything we can do to help regarding this or you require further information, please don't hesitate to get in contact at support@nextbase.com.

R.E. Tinted windows, it depends entirely on the thickness and material the tinting is made from as to whether the Cam will be able to record through it. Some customers report a perfect view, while others have real difficulties. It's very much subject to the individual tinting.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Thanks Millie, as per usual NB on the ball in this forum, the last time I was here it would be Natalie (I think) doing tech support. Keep up the good work i'll be getting the NB hardwire kit as well as the 422gw probably from Halfords unless (I can find somewhere cheaper so they can fit it), hopefully they remove the old Garmin hardwire kit they fitted without any extra charge. Next months pension will get the rear cam addon.

I meant to ask earlier how would I recognise the difference between 422gw series 1 & 2?

The series 2 cams have the new quick release system on the front of the camera, behind a removable panel. And the number 422 on it... ;):LOL:

Thanks folk's, seems I'd be better going for the 422gw + the addon for the rear view. 2 dashcam cams ago I had the 522 gw and kindly received the new rear cam for that when it came out as a freebie from NB which was much appreciated. I remember the hassle feeding the long usb cable to rear screen and roof lining never looked the same after fitting. As my new car is less than a year old the add on for the 422 gw addon seems the easier option to save disturbing roof lining.

Back