422gw constant freezing

Jsullivan1985

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 422gw with the most recent firmware update (R19.9) and for months have had problems with it freezing after 20 odd seconds. I have tried multiple different cards (including the original Nextbase one it came with) and have now tried at least 2 different firmwares to no avail. I have seen this has been a huge problem with this and many other models.

I can't afford a new dashcam and at the same time can't afford to be without one! I have seen a few posts claiming that firmware version R16.3 seems to work great once people have downgraded and it has removed the freezing issue however I can't for the life of me find it anywhere online to try.

Does anyone know where I can possibly get this from?

Many thanks in advance

Hello,

Freezing is one of two issues- a faulty or non-compatible SD card, or a loose rear camera connector.

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?
Do you also have a rear camera please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

I have an official Nextbase SD card that I think is 32Gb, that is formatted every time I try to make it work. It is also formatted in the DashCam. Also I have a rear window dashcam and have tried with it disconnected to rule out any problems from this.

I have tried a few other 32gb and 64gb cards, Samsung comes to mind for one of them and they are all class 10/U3

The card was purchased with the dashcam and everything worked fine for about 3 months.

Hello,

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally? Does it now freeze at all?

If not, please contact us at support@nextbase.com and we can advise further.

Kind regards,
Millie

It starts fine with and without the memory card, the problem comes into play whenever it starts recording. I've tried quite a few memory cards that have all been U3 and every one of them freeze at around 20-25 seconds

I have contacted the support team and they're sending me out another SD card, I'm not hopeful this is going to make a difference

Tried and failed as expected for anyone interested in how I got on. Its lasting no longer before freezing up than the last card I had

Just for info, how is the dashcam wired and does your car have stop/start ?

The Dash is hardwired and was done by Halfords

Sorry I'm not 100% sure what you mean by stop/start but it turns on with the engine?

Stop/start is on modern cars where the engine cuts out at say traffic lights.

That rules out my next question then.

As a test, can you plug it into a mobile phone charger, indoors, let it power up and see if it keeps recording without issue beyond the timeframe it freezes in the car.

Hey guys just posting to tie everything off really. Dashcam is still not working and Nextbase have refused to fix it without us having to pay. It powers up fine in the car and in the house and freezes up at the same time regardless. Think I'm done with Nextbase now, which isn't good considering this is the first of their cameras I've tried. Will be looking out for something more reliable for the next one. Thanks for the help everyone!

Hi,

If the camera is outside of warranty, then we recommend our investigation process.
Our Repair Centre investigation process is free. You will need to send the camera into us and our Engineers will perform an investigation on the camera to see what the root cause of the problem is. If a fault is found, the engineers will then contact you directly via email to confirm the issue.
If you are outside of the warranty period, they will let you know the issue and the repair cost. You can then decide whether to go ahead with the repair, or have the camera returned to you.
If you are within warranty, the camera will be fixed and returned to you, free of charge.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back