422gw doesn't record in dark

scg123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I did a long trip recently, half was in the daylight and the return journey was in the dark. Upon viewing my dashcam footage afterwards, none of the return journey in the dark had been recorded. In addition to this, I went to the drive thru yesterday in the dark and the dash cam wasn't recording. It was switched on but there was no recording timer. It has no problem recording in daylight. Is there a setting I can fiddle with or should I just send it back?

Hello,

If your camera is not recording, this is not due to the time of day or light exposure. E.g. Driving at night or day would not effect the recording capability.

Any failure of recording is usually due to a non-compatible or failed SD card being used in the camera.

1. What SD card brand, model, size and class are you using please?
2. When was the SD card purchased?
3. How often is it formatted?
4. Do you also have a rear camera?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

If your camera is not recording, this is not due to the time of day or light exposure. E.g. Driving at night or day would not effect the recording capability.

Any failure of recording is usually due to a non-compatible or failed SD card being used in the camera.

1. What SD card brand, model, size and class are you using please?
2. When was the SD card purchased?
3. How often is it formatted?
4. Do you also have a rear camera?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support
There is no issue with my SD card, it was purchased only a few months ago. It's a special SanDisk microSD (128gb) High Endurance. I don't have a rear camera.

I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to technology, I can assure you, my 422gw is not recording in the hours of darkness. It's got no problem recording in daylight. So it simply cannot be the sd card.

Now you say that, but, Nextbase dashcams are fairly demanding where cards are concerned. The critical path is the write speed of the card. Not all endurance cards meet the requirements.

Download and run SpeedOut 0.5 against your card via a USB3 port.

Here is an example of my Samsung Evo Pro that shows a fast write:

vK4NG66.jpg

I'm no expert but if the write speed is more demanding in low light then you never know.

Now you say that, but, Nextbase dashcams are fairly demanding where cards are concerned. The critical path is the write speed of the card. Not all endurance cards meet the requirements.

Download and run SpeedOut 0.5 against your card via a USB3 port.

Here is an example of my Samsung Evo Pro that shows a fast write:

vK4NG66.jpg

I'm no expert but if the write speed is more demanding in low light then you never know.
I see your point, I will give this a go and I might purchase a new sd to see if it works.

Thanks

Back