422gw freezing when direct sunlight hits it (during the summer only)

jmc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this was mentioned by others before but I have noticed this issue ever since I bought this unit 2 years ago.

Using
.Sandisk Extreme Plus 128gig memory card (formatted clean a few times)
.rear camera
.went back to the older R16 version of the software after trying the newer one

The unit would freeze and the red light comes on whenever there is direct sunlight hitting the unit (during the summer - 27 degrees or more). I have formatted the memory card.

This issue never happens any other time during the year other than in the summer and direct heat and sunlight. I would then need to use a pin to reset the unit and then it is fine again. Here in Toronto, we get all 4 seasons. I am reluctant to use the unit whenever it is very hot and sunlight directly hitting the windshield. Not reliable during this time.

Hello,

All of our cameras are tested between -20'C (-4F) to +45'C (113'F), although if the car temperature exceeds this you could potentially experience issues. We'd recommend removing the Dash Cam and placing in the glove compartment when the Dash Cam is not in use to prevent it being unnecessarily heated on the windscreen. When storing the Dash Cam for an extended time period, store within the following temperature range: from 0° to 25°C (from 32° to 77°F).
Under the mount is a heat sync, so this is the part of the camera that will get hottest. It's nothing to worry about, they're designed to cope with the heat they produce.
However excess heat can be caused by a failed SD card.

SanDisk SD cards are not suitable for use in a Nextbase Dash Cam as they do not hold a warranty or meet the minimum write speed requirements. If you believe otherwise to be the case please contact the manufacturer for confirmation:

'This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras'
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/warranty

The minimum requirements to allow the camera to function are U3 and 48MB/s continuous write speed. The SanDisk Extreme SD card only has 30MB/s write speed, and therefore are not compatible for use. This is shown on their website here:

Please see point 5 of their disclosures, at the bottom of each of the above pages.
'UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. Video Speed Class 30 (V30), sustained video capture rate of 30MB/s, designates a performance option designed to support real-time video recording with UHS-enabled host devices. See www.sdcard.org/consumers/speed.'

I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible 8GB -128GB U3 Micro SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. The card needs to have a minimum continuous write speed of 48MB/s.

For guaranteed warranty of the SD card, I'd suggest a Nextbase Micro SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back