430W always missing first video, and missing emergency button locked clips

bn880

Reaction score
Country
Canada
2 different LS430W's, I've had the cams set to record 5 minute clips. Noticed that for a while now they've been skipping the recording of the first video in each trip. (the *001.mov file). New battery, and camera is hard switched so that cranking the engine does not temporarily cut power. Has anyone experienced this before?

Also had them not save clips when the record emergency video button is pressed once or twice... they just disappear, worse than not pressing the button!

Both of these issues did not originally exist with both cameras.

I am now in the process of formatting the SD card, and setting it back to 2 minute interval.

Also check the cards with the "h2testw" freeware for integrity. If you have a voltmeter you can check battery voltage too; should be at least 12.6 or 12.8 when parked, A weak battery can drop so low during cranking that the cam glitches, but that wouldn't explain the disappearing locked files so I don't think that;s the problem (but it doesn't hurt to check) ;) If still no good then a hard reset and firmware reload would be about all there is left to try.

Phil

Hi Phil. Great tips thanks!

Already verified battery voltage, and h2testw and also did a full format of the SD card just before that. So if that doesn't resolve it I will try your hard reset suggestion, and if even that fails, reflash of firmware (but yeah that would be very unlikely to get corrupted).

(BTW issue was happening with a 64GB and 32GB Samsung card, both of which used to work fine, not that it means a lot)

Cheers

I can't say why a firmware goes wonky, all I know is that a reflash sometimes fixes things- and sometimes it doesn't. But it's all that left for an at-home repair; you seem to have done all the rest you can do, so here's hoping you get the cam fixed up (y)

Phil

When you first start up the camera, verify the time is correct. If time is wrong, the camera may be overwriting the first file due to incorrect time. Once GPS fixes the time, then things will record normally. This would indicate a bad battery.

Back