4k @ 30fps or 2K @ 60fps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What frame rates are the preferred option for this camera 4k @ 30fps or 2K @ 60fps?

Last edited:
All 60 FPS do is lock the camera to a slowest exposure of 1:60 second, but in low light that is still very slow for moving things, granted it is a 2 X faster exposure than 1:30 second, but it is extremely marginal if that will give a capture 30 FPS would not get.

Years ago i tested 2 similar 1080p cameras, side by side, one set to 30 FPS the other to 60 FPS, and all other things to the default values, i ran with that for a couple of months and the times the 60 FPS camera caught a plate or other small detail the 30 FPS camera dident was extremely rare, so since then i never bothered with 60 FPS in dashcams

Now if i use my action camera, that is always recording 60 FPS, but that is not used as a accident recorder, and if we talk generating cinematic drive videos, even a action camera are not the ideal instrument, and as you would often speed such a video up as no one going to sit and watch you drive for hours thru the lake district, then 30 or 60 FPS dont really matter in that use scenario.

I would always use the native or should i say MAX resolution of a dashcam.
Now if dashcams like phones would bin pixels up to become less resolution but higher light sensitivity, then i might do a lesser resolution, but dashcams can not do that, it is just a matter of how much of the total sensor area it use.
Many sensors are actually 4:3 aspect ratio and not the normal 16:9 wide format we know from out PC and TV screens, so already there even with the MAX resolution parts of the sensor are not used anyway.

Back