4K A229 Viofo Pro 3x Camera Dashcam unbox and deep dive - LateralNw

Did you get around to doing the comparison?

Attachments

• A119 Mini 2 .png
    A119 Mini 2 .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • A229 Pro Rear .png
    A229 Pro Rear .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
@Panzer Platform

They look very similar to me.
The A229 Pro is a little over sharp.
The photo sizes you posted are a little different in size with the Pro being the smaller file.
They both look like they can almost read the number plate of the car.

Thanks for posting.
Interesting comparison.

Viofo Mini 2 vs A229 Pro rear cameras.png

Here's a simple comparison in size of the A229 Pro next to the VS1.

They are both sitting on a keyboard which should help to work out dimensions.

One thing that is not apparent immediately is the thickness of the A229 Pro.
It is thicker and a has a more solid and heavy feel. Of course it has a lot more going on inside given it is 4K and controls 2 other cameras.
IMG_4906.jpeg

Because my car window is covered with film,and the color of the film is a bit dark,Rainbow appears on the front camera after wearing the CPL,The rear camera doesn't look very clear either。I am considering whether it is necessary to sell my CPL and rear camera。

Because my car window is covered with film,and the color of the film is a bit dark,Rainbow appears on the front camera after wearing the CPL,The rear camera doesn't look very clear either。I am considering whether it is necessary to sell my CPL and rear camera。

Consider getting a dash mat instead of a CPL.. Dash mats are available for both front and rear or can be DIY.

Dashmat ( flat black ) is fine for glare in windscreen, i am very sad such things are not made for my cheap little car, so i had to make my own, which dont look nearly as good, but it work just fine.

Consider getting a dash mat instead of a CPL.. Dash mats are available for both front and rear or can be DIY.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just think the methods in the video are too complicated, so I'll give up, haha

Wondering if it's worth having a Viofo 4K dash camera?
Here's a good example when it will come in handy.
The Dashcam is about 10 car lanes away or approximately 36 Metres (~39 yards)

Best viewed in 4K

Hoddle St Motorbike Accident April 2024

Last edited:
Best viewed in 4K
I think we need a telephoto microphone next, looked like that lady walking back was going to give the motorcyclist a really good telling off!!!

This is why I like having a real 4K dashcam, not for your own accidents, but for other things which are often out of view on lesser dashcams.

I think we need a telephoto microphone next, looked like that lady walking back was going to give the motorcyclist a really good telling off!!!

This is why I like having a real 4K dashcam, not for your own accidents, but for other things which are often out of view on lesser dashcams.
I always wondered about better mics on dash cams, brought it up here once and they did explain it wasn't really needed for good reasons. Would add too much to BOM but they do audio magnification on smartphone cameras when you zoom in while taking video, so wonder if they could do the same with dash cams perhaps

I always wondered about better mics on dash cams, brought it up here once and they did explain it wasn't really needed for good reasons. Would add too much to BOM but they do audio magnification on smartphone cameras when you zoom in while taking video, so wonder if they could do the same with dash cams perhaps
It would have taken an exceptional and very directional microphone, probably with a parabolic dish, to have recorded that conversation, and of course it would have been pointing in the wrong direction - that is the big problem with dashcam microphones, you want them to record everything, yet filter out all the background noise, which is not really possible since it is sometimes the background noise of a car engine/squealing tires that you want.

There is scope for improving dashcam microphones, but it is not easy, and really good microphones are expensive.

Parabolic dish (telephoto) microphone:

1515509558_IMG_926878.jpg

Hoddle St Motorbike Accident April 2024
Do you know what the police/courts concluded?
I'm guessing the lady that walked back was found to be at fault. The car behind did well to stop in that distance, but they did touch, so that sort of indicates that they were driving too close for the speed. Motorcyclist would do better not to wear all black while riding an all black bike, lady would likely have taken more care if he/she had been wearing bright colours.

looked like that lady walking back was going to give the motorcyclist a really good telling off!!!
It does look like that at first which I hadn't considered. lol
Parabolic dish (telephoto) microphone:
I'm guessing what the conversation might have been. A Great use for recording the birds around my area.
Do you know what the police/courts concluded?
I don't have any other info.

Last edited:
I looked at the intersection using google maps and didn't realise that they had modified Hoddle st placing a divider between some lanes. The lanes further away from the dashcam all take a sharp 90 degree turn so I think they put the divider in to prevent motorist on the other two lanes from cutting across which used to happen in peak hour. Problem is others that don't know the road can end up on a freeway!

Following is only assumptions.
The rider had their indicator on but may have been indicating to cross over the white lines that are just before the divider starts.
The motorist looked to me as if they had sped up which is very typical with motorist here.... They don't like losing their spot!
So closes in on the bike rider a little quicker which surprised the rider who either hit the car as it past or took evasive action in an attempt not to be driven over.

At first it looked like a hit and run as the car didn't stop straight away. Didn't even appear to slow down.
I am assuming that the person walking back was the driver but it might have been a witness as I couldn't see where the car had stopped and consequently who got out.

1719284451431.png

Following is only assumptions.
The rider had their indicator on but may have been indicating to cross over the white lines that are just before the divider starts.
The motorist looked to me as if they had sped up which is very typical with motorist here.... They don't like losing their spot!
So closes in on the bike rider a little quicker which surprised the rider who either hit the car as it past or took evasive action in an attempt not to be driven over.
I assume the rider was a bit inexperienced, an experienced rider would have increased speed to avoid the danger, while this one appeared to loose confidence and slow down.

I think it is fairly safe to say that the motorcyclist created the accident, they were clearly changing lane, maybe illegally, but everyone else has a duty to avoid accidents. The silver car did the right thing, used the brakes and stopped, the black car should have taken similar action, but appears to only use the horn which did nothing to help and may have made things worse! She was behind and could have avoided the accident, but she didn't. I would be surprised if the police charged the motorcyclist, looked like a mistake from an inexperienced road user, the lady I'm not so sure about, she really shouldn't have hit the motorcyclist.

I suspect the lady probably hit the motorcyclist's steering with her side mirror causing loss of balance, she had plenty of time to avoid the accident but did nothing useful, so I put her at fault. Hard to judge positions in the lanes at this distance though, so we will never know.

For those who are watching at home here's an update on the A229 Pro 3 camera unit.
Now with an assortment of lenses for specific uses.
Soon to be reviewed. Waiting on stock to be replenished.

Lenses that Fit the A229 Pro
Inside Rear facing camera
USB C

1720489718584.png
Infrared cabin camera
3.5 Mic plug 4 pin connector
1720489492877.png
Outside rear facing camera
USB C
1720488564080.png
Zoom camera
Can be used on Front of Rear windows
USB C
1720488596182.png
BTR200 3x Button Bluetooth control1720491328901.png

It now supports a zoom lens, allowing for a closer view to help read number plates and see more detail on a subject.
I'll post some videos once I get hold of one of these cameras.
1720487270377.png
Image supplied via Viofo Web site
A229 Pro Zoom lens link

I'll also post some footage of the IR camera working as the rear camera. (Not recommended by Viofo, but I'm sure there will be users out there who are curious.)
I will be using a Viofo-supplied 6-meter lead to try this out.

Additionally, the firmware has been updated to support the new Bluetooth button, which now has 3 buttons.
The amount of options this Viofo A229 Pro offers is fantastic.

Here is a great write-up of what it offers:
Viofo Blog on Firmware improvements

Oh, and it has a reversing camera!
1720487415501.png
Image supplied via Viofo web site.
Rear Waterproof camera RWC200

Attachments

• 1720488548202.png
    1720488548202.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
Here is a side by side view of the HDR feature at night.

I reads lit signs much better with HDR on and it's great that Viofo listened to the users and put a timer to allow when the HDR can go on and off.
Now that this have also just released the latest firmware for the A229 Pro which supports the New BTR200 3x Button Bluetooth control you can
now toggle on and off HDR anytime of the day. Great to have these finer detail capabilities.

1720744694988.png

While the speed is a little different it doesn't make any difference in this example. It is alway clearer with HDR on.

Back