4K action cameras

action-summer

Reaction score
Country
Finland
What cheap 4K 25fps camera you recommend which has true 4K (not interpolated) and it recharges battery or powers camera from external power source when recording.

What shape do you want it?

SJCam SJ7 - as long as you are going to keep it cool!
Gitup F1 - if you don't need an LCD viewfinder.

Or did you mean really cheap?

Price is very nice Yi discovery action camera,only $60 on amazon.

Thanks for answers.

I'm looking for SJCAM shape camera or any shape which fits to hand easily.

Price around $100.

Are these three cameras my only options for real 4K with external power?

Thanks

Thanks for answers.

I'm looking for SJCAM shape camera or any shape which fits to hand easily.

Price around $100.

Are these three cameras my only options for real 4K with external power?

Thanks
At that price, have a look at the Xiaomi Mijia, it's a different shape to the SJCAM but a lot of people like it and the video is good for the price. I don't know about external power for recording - you will need to check.

There are quite a few others, but most are a generation behind in the chips they use and are rather basic quality.

Last edited:
Thanks again.

Any idea if Milja or GitUp can be used with external power?

GitUp F1: "Single Press of Shutter Button to Start Recording"

Does this mean it don't have any power button at all or how it works?

Thanks again.

Both can be used with external power, the Gitup F1 will auto start recording on receiving power and has several settings for use as a dashcam, there is also a supercapacitor version without a battery which must be used with external power.

Last edited:
GitUp F1: "Single Press of Shutter Button to Start Recording"

Does this mean it don't have any power button at all or how it works?
Yes, it has a power button, normally you turn it on with the power button, but you can configure it to also power up on pressing the shutter button to save a little time. It can also power up using the optional remote control.

Thanks again.

Both camera have settings to configure what happens when you plug in external USB power. They can be set to turn on and record, turn on and wait in standby, or just charge without turning on.

CORRECTION: The F1 can be set to auto turn on and record with external power. The Mijia needs to be turned on manually, but can be set to auto record when it turns on.

Last edited:
Just wondering, anybody know pair of videos, which compare real 4K video and fake interpolated 4K video?

Just wondering, anybody know pair of videos, which compare real 4K video and fake interpolated 4K video?
Most cameras that support interpolated 4K are best used at 1080 60fps FHD resolution, some are very good, for example the Gitup G3. If you want to end up with 1080 video then the G3 is a good option and good value for money, only thing it doesn't do is real 4K. Even if I am using a 4K camera, I normally produce 1080 videos, 4K is not essential and the extra money required to get 4K can reduce the quality of the lens etc. unless you are getting one of the more expensive 4K cameras like the Yi 4K+ or GoPro.

This is from dashcamtalk forum but it refers to car dash camera with big screen but this might mean that it is rebranded Anytek:

"From what I understand, the Discovery Adventures dash cam is the exact same camera as the Anytek A2 dash cam"

Is this true 4K? Not sure how it handles external power:

4608 x 3456 pix

Action camera Discovery Adventures 4K Action Camera Escape 8785103 4K, Wi-Fi, Waterproof
https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/produc...ion-Camera-Escape-8785103-4K-Wi-Fi-Waterproof
It says: "Sensor resolution: 16 MPix"

It is very unusual to use a 16MP sensor for 4K, since you either need to throw 4MP away, or you resize the image to 12MP which causes some blurring. It is normal to use a 12MP sensor, or an 8MP 16:9 sensor so that you can record at the native sensor resolution keeping the image sharp.

I guess it is either not true 4K, or if it is then the 16MP is the interpolated photo resolution, either way you shouldn't trust the information given and need to find a trustworthy review of it before considering buying it.

Back