4K UHD (3840 X 2160) @30fps or 2K QHD (2560 X 1440) @60fps What have you had better results

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got a U1000 and testing it out. I don't see much if any difference in the ability to distinguish license plates from one to the other. also comparing night and day recording doesn't have much difference either. my main concern is recording quality while moving or the other cars moving. so I'm leaning towards 2K QHD (2560 X 1440) @60fps.
what has you guys's experience been between the two settings?

the sensor is the same so you're not going to see extra detail at 4k over 2k, on cheap cameras that interpolate there can be a notable difference, you'll generally save some memory space which will give longer record times at 2k over 4k, use what you personally prefer, there's no right or wrong answer

the sensor is the same so you're not going to see extra detail at 4k over 2k, on cheap cameras that interpolate there can be a notable difference, you'll generally save some memory space which will give longer record times at 2k over 4k, use what you personally prefer, there's no right or wrong answer
So I had a long drive yesterday. One hour each way. So I did an hour in 4K and one hour in QHD. All in day time.
the difference is small but the license plates are more clear or have more dept at the edge of the letters and numbers in QHD. This is going between 65 and 80 miles on the fwy. At night I had a shorter drive. And both settings are useless with the reflective plates used here in California. They just absorb all the light and look like glow in the dark rectangles.

So I had a long drive yesterday. One hour each way. So I did an hour in 4K and one hour in QHD. All in day time.
the difference is small but the license plates are more clear or have more dept at the edge of the letters and numbers in QHD. This is going between 65 and 80 miles on the fwy. At night I had a shorter drive. And both settings are useless with the reflective plates used here in California. They just absorb all the light and look like glow in the dark rectangles.
if they don't alter the bitrate between the different resolutions then the difference in quality between QHD and UHD is likely due to the extra bitrate available when recording in QHD, if that's working better for you just stick with that

Last edited:
Back