4X Mini 2's installed, so far so good.

SgtRemo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted 360 coverage and just don't trust Viofo to last and I'm going for max reliability and redundancy here within a budget, so buying 2 blackvue systems were out.

I added little heatsinks to the mini 2's and like how they all sync if there is an event or I trigger one via the button or voice command. (i.e. I push the button on the front one, and all 4 of them respond & record the event and save it.) So far the app has worked alright, sometimes it'll show one of the cams not connected, but it's strange that I can still live view it. I am not sure what Garmin is doing to have these autosync to each other for events, are they pairing to each other via bluetooth or wifi? For example if I hit the event button on the front cam, how do the other 3 instantly know I pushed it? It seems pretty easy to download an event to your phone via the app and use the TRIM/PIP function which I think is pretty cool. I also have wifi at the office and at home within range so the vault clips upload periodically, I'm just using the free tier on this.

I have them hooked up to always on power using the cigarette adapters and (I have 2 of these in my car that are always on -one up front and one in back). I am not interested in multiple $300+ dashcam batteries from neolink/blackvue so I replaced my measly 520 CCA factory battery with a 800 CCA/140min RC Duracell AGM ($179). I am debating using parking guard versus just disabling that and leaving them record 24/7. From what I'm seeing on the draw the mini's 2 use about 1.75watts or less, so take that 4X and I think that puts me at around 48 hours to get my AGM battery to 50%, and I will be testing this further. May use a Rhundo to cutoff the cams if the voltage drops too low. I'm already using my OBD port for something else so the Garmin adapter for that is a no go. I am also using Sandisk high endurance 128GB ~$20 on Amazon. (Which kinda tricked me as these were in exFAT and needed to be formatted in FAT32 before the Garmin would recognize them. Used a freeware AOMEI partition assistant on windows 10 to accomplish that since windows 10 did not want to.)

I hope Garmin adds some more functionality to the cams like turning off the beeps (or at least lowering the volume), and a remote live view enhancement would be nice via your home or hotspot wifi. Right now the remote live view only works if you wifi directly to the cam itself from your phone. I mean come on, the cams can use home/hotspot wifi to upload clips to the vault so why not build in the remote view this way also? I would actually subscribe to the vault service if it had this.

So for around $800, (4 mini 2's, 1 CPL on front cam, 4 SD Cards, 1 upgraded AGM car battery) I have 360 coverage, redundancy, & 48hrs of parking recording.

I've been using four independent cameras for 360º coverage for years. I find that method to works quite well. I've been using Mobius cameras for the lateral and rear view for about six years with absolute reliability in extreme hot and extreme cold temperatures. If the newer Garmin Mini2 proves reliable and as heat resistant as claimed it may well be ideal for this use.

Last edited:
I've been using four independent cameras for 360º coverage for years. I find that method to works quite well. I've been using Mobius cameras for the lateral and rear view for about six years with absolute reliability in extreme hot and extreme cold temperatures. If the newer Garmin Mini2 proves reliable and as heat resistant as claimed it may well be ideal for this use.
snap....
you might be interested to learn victron energy recently confirmed what i d been doing for ages is safe if correct sizing is applied.....
a simple slit charge relay and wiring (65a) allows a 100a alternator to charge a 100ah lithium battery and in practice every minute you drive you ll add between a half to
1ah of capacity into the lithium depending on its state of charge.
simply fit a master switch and run your cameras 24/7 off the lithium....

( i built my lithium with smart bluetooth bms for £150 )

lol i still havnt figured a way to overcome snow frost and rain blocking cameras lol

Still having app problems with mine so I can't test as I want to until I get that worked out :( I did have one failure to start on the hottest day after work. Swapped the power from the 57 which was working but no go. Went back to the original powering and still nada. 15 minutes later when I got home unplugging and re-plugging the cam got it going. 6 other cams had no issues then or ever in the same heat or higher. Make of it what you will, I'm still planning to do a measured heat test when I can get access to the functioning of this cam so I can set up parking mode.

Phil

Do the multiple mini cams register on the app. I mean, you can get into each Mini 2 in the app and see and adjust the screen?

Yes you can manage all cameras separately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-184028.png
    Screenshot_20220413-184028.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 18
I wanted 360 coverage and just don't trust Viofo to last and I'm going for max reliability and redundancy here within a budget, so buying 2 blackvue systems were out.

I added little heatsinks to the mini 2's and like how they all sync if there is an event or I trigger one via the button or voice command.

yep, I'm replying to a several month old post.

I've only got (1) mini 2. I've had it for a few months now, and I've not experienced any heat issues, although with Texas summer getting ready to show up, that is more likely.

I'm curious as to what had happened that you needed to add a heat sink to your mini 2, can you explain further please?

Also, not sure if we are able to post pictures here, but if so, can you (or someone) possibly share a picture of a mini 2 with a heatsink applied? I'm curious as to what others are doing.

There was some problems with the first mini, in regard to getting out of parking guard mode, the camera would back itself into some thermal runaway mode and eventually shut down.
Not using parking guard on the first mini and you was good for just recording while driving.
But at least with the mini 2 i think those problems have been resolved, so you just have regular parking guard heat issues like any dashcam will have, cuz anything left in the sun will probably reach its MAX temperature on a hot day and shut down to protect itself.

Both with the old mini and the mini 2 i am not aware of any heat problems while driving regular and recording normal video.

At least thats my take on these ( never owned a Garmin system ) @lacibaci is the resident Garmin expert with years of experience with various of their models.

Back